Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting the wife to sign off on a new Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keeverw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Getting the wife to sign off on a new Kronos? Reply with quote

So my beautiful, wonderful amazing wife just recently said I could buy myself a workstation. I had been using MainStage live up until then, but I had been having lots of glitches, and lock-ups on stage, and I just go frustrated and decided to just use a workstation instead.

I have always loved the M3. I like the way it looks, the way it sounds, the way it is modular, etc. And I could afford a used one, last December, so that's what I got.

And after using it live about 5 or 6 times now, since December-2015, I am not disappointed in the sound at all. I think it sounds amazing!

But there are two features missing, that the Kronos has, and for how I play keyboard, these would be extremely useful.

Smooth transitions between patch changes, and setlists.

This is something I took for granted when I used MainStage.

But from her perspective, she doesn't know what a game-changer these features are, and how much of a difference there is between the M3 and Kronos in this regard. And I don't think she cares. lol
All she knows is I told her that the M3 would be the answer to my prayers, and then 2 months later, I want to exchange it for a more expensive board.

Here are my questions

A. Is there any way to get these features on the M3?
What about adding an additional keyboard to my setup?

B. If I cannot, what are my chances of talking the wifey into allowing me to shell out another $1000 to put with the hopefully $1000 I could get for my M3 on the used market?

FYI, I am aware of the KARMA hack allowing the use of scenes for smooth patch changes within a combi. I am currently using this, and it is still very limited. You get four 4-part combis this way that can be smoothly swapped out. But they all have to share the same FX, which is very limiting.

I am seriously considering finding a cheap keyboard that has nice pad sounds (any suggestions), and using that to sustain while I change patches on the M3.

Thoughts? Concerns? Anyone in the same boat?

I really would rather the M3 got updated with these two features, than buy a Kronos. Because I really think the M3 is a better looking board, I really like the way it sounds. But I need smooth transitions and a setlist which can contain combis and programs together in the same list.

The setlist, even that part I could live without.

But I need those smooth transitions.

edit: the other day I tried putting my TC Electronics Ditto Looper pedal on the output of my M3 so I could just loop a sustained sound while I changed patches, and then kill the loop when I start playing the new patch.
You could hear the loop points, so that didn't work. lol
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
keeverw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up question.

If I did decide to buy a small (25 key) board, just for pad sounds, which would you go with?

I am thinking either the Micro-X or the Triton Taktile 25.

But I don't know much about the Micro-Korg, or any others.

I want the lush analog pad sounds Korg is known for. And that is basically all I would use this little keyboard for.

Any suggestions?
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to get Smooth Sound Transition with the M3 is to buy 2 of them.

Go for the Kronos. You wont regret it.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
The only way to get Smooth Sound Transition with the M3 is to buy 2 of them.

Go for the Kronos. You wont regret it.

Applause

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
keeverw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I tried yesterday worked pretty well.
I used Reason running on my MacBookPro just for pad sounds. I used to use Reason exclusively for playing live, so I had some pretty good sounds already programmed.

And then I used my M3 for everything else. Piano, B3, Rhodes, Strings, etc.

And it actually worked pretty well.
The only thing is I don't want to use my laptop on stage anymore, so I will try this a few more times, and if I think it is gonna be the answer, I will buy myself some sort of sound module for just pads.

I am leaning heavily towards the Korg Micro-X, because it has the Triton sound engine, and I like Triton pads. Also it's small and portable.
I can just run midi out from the M3 into the Micro-X, and control both with one keyboard.

The only thing I have a question about now, is it possible in the M3 to decide which parameters are getting sent via midi?
I would like to use the joystick on the Micro-X for it's own sounds, and the joystick on the M3 for it's sounds.

Or if that's not possible, is there a way to filter what's coming in on the Micro-X?

I had this issue in Reason yesterday. The ModWheel in Reason sweeped the filter cutoff for the Thor and Malstrom I'm using for my pad sound.
But when I had a B3 pulled up, and pushed the joystick up to change speeds on the rotary FX, it also jacked up my pad sound.

So in Reason I just disabled the ModWheel on my combinator.
But that isn't a great solution, because then I can't sweep the cutoff when I want to anymore.

The more I think about using a Kronos, the more I'm not sure I would want it, even though it's capable of smooth transitions.

If I used smooth transitions to go between a piano patch, and a piano/pad patch, then again to go to a pad/B3 patch for the chorus of a song, then back to the pad patch for the verse, etc. I would have to make a massive setlist every week, and then during the performance I would constantly be swapping patches. I'm not sure that's the workflow I want to go for.

That is pretty much what I did with MainStage, and it's not the best workflow.
And another method is just put all the sounds I am gonna use for a set in a combi, and then fade them in and out as needed. But that comes back to the same problem my M3 has, you only get one set of FX for a combi, each timbre can't have it's own unique FX and settings. So a program might sound amazing on it's own, but in a Combi, not so much.

I would rather have two keyboards, one for pads, and filler sounds, and another for piano and lead sounds. And I'd rather not play one with my left hand and the other with my right, so I would probably just use midi to control both with one keyboard, especially if I end up with a 25-key for my pad keyboard.

So back to my question,
Any way to be able to send notes and velocities from the M3 to the Micro-X, and nothing else? Or to send everything, and filter it in the Micro-X?

Thanks!

edit: now that I think about it, I believe the Micro-X has 4 real-time control knobs, and one of them is cutoff by default.
So I might've just answered my own question. I could just use that knob instead of the modwheel to sweep frequencies, and just disable the modwheel in whatever pad patch I am using.

Thoughts?
Alternatives?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In combi mode you can control what midi events are transmitted and received on the MIDI Filter pages.
keeverw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
In combi mode you can control what midi events are transmitted and received on the MIDI Filter pages.

Thanks!
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the wife a token present that she will love, but leaves you cash rich. Buy yourself a Kronos.

Works every time for me Very Happy

Seriously, when you look at what the good lady spends on clothes and handbags over several years, it equates to a decent workstation for me. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the wife a token present that she will love, but which eaves you cash rich. Buy yourself a Kronos.

Seriously, when you look at what the good lady spends on clothes and handbags over several years, it equates to a decent workstation for me. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
keeverw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Buy the wife a token present that she will love, but which eaves you cash rich. Buy yourself a Kronos.

Good point.

I just bought her a coach purse for V-Day, for $250.

I'm not sure that qualifies me for a $3000 Kronos.
But...it might qualify me to add a Radias-R to my M3. And honestly, I think that might serve my needs better than a Kronos at this point.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeverw wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

Good point.

But...it might qualify me to add a Radias-R to my M3. And honestly, I think that might serve my needs better than a Kronos at this point.

Sounds like a fair trade to me! Laughing

Another way to look at it, is the £2400 I paid for my Kronos is a bargain £260 per sound engine. I bet your good lady has more than nine hand bags/pairs of shoes ..... Very Happy

My Echoes Music Website
keeverw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
keeverw wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

Good point.

Another way to look at it, is the £2400 I paid for my Kronos is a bargain £260 per sound engine. I bet your good lady has more than nine hand bags/pairs of shoes ..... Very Happy

Oh yes, for certain.
Way more than 9.

But then, I have way more music gear in my studio than just the M3 also. Smile

I'll bet I have spent more on music gear than she has on shoes and bags. lol

But don't tell her that.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware. They read the forums.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Beware. They read the forums.

I do consider myself lucky. I have relatively free reign to lash out on what is an expensive hobby. Smile

So I let the misuses indulge herself when she wants and it tends to work out

My Echoes Music Website
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeverw wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:
keeverw wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

Good point.

Oh yes, for certain.
Way more than 9.

But then, I have way more music gear in my studio than just the M3 also. Smile

I'll bet I have spent more on music gear than she has on shoes and bags. lol

But don't tell her that.

well at least the music gear has a good resale value after it is used...
shoes and etc. stuff like that well... unless worn by celebrity in a movie are just not worth much after used.
I know one in her 40's widow who blew through over 450k usd on shoes....
yup she filled 2 houses with junk....
now she is broke.... but she can walk in style!! LOL!!

electronics gear is kinda like buying gold.... as long as it is stored ok and taken care of it will be worth something.... even in 40 years.
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: