Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue and Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Minilogue and Kronos Reply with quote

While I prefer a one keyboard rig, the size and simplicity of the Minilogue is intriguing. It would be nice to have an unweighted keybed for organ and synth leads. Does anyone know:

(1) the difference between slim keys and normal size keys?
(2) if there is anything significant that the Minilogue can do that the Kronos can't?
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Slim keys are 87% (or thereabouts) smaller than normal keys

2) Sound like a real analog synth. No aliasing!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
2) Sound like a real analog synth.

Doesn't just sound like one... it is a REAL analog synth. Very Happy
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I meant Wink
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its analogue, but practically speaking is there anything the Kronos can't do that the Minilogue can? Coming thru a live sound system with a band playing could anyone tell the difference?
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends entirely on you. But yes, since an analog synth doesn't employ techniques like band-limiting, the high end of the frequency range is going to sound livelier on Minilogue. Not to mention the unison with 8 VCOs can sound absolutely fecking huge...
slug

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:
I know its analogue, but practically speaking is there anything the Kronos can't do that the Minilogue can? Coming thru a live sound system with a band playing could anyone tell the difference?

Technically the Kronos is more capable in every way, excepting the interface.

Most people these days are happy to listen to store and listen to music on MP3, ergo MOST people in your average audience are not going to be discerning enough to appreciate virtual analog vs analog in a band setting. Company like EvilDragon here possibly excepted....
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get freaky and look for the extremes of the filter, feedback, LFO modulation at audio rates etc, analogs almost always "win". In many practical applications digital reproductions will do equally well, at least on a "non-purist" level, especially live. And then you get the benefit of large patch memories and built in FX.

When I have a commercial cover job I don't bother bringing any analog synths. When I have an original music festival thing or I have to play synth bass, I bring out the analogs. But that's when the last ten percent is really worth it. At least to me.

We're already professionally crazy anyway, being musicians. Half of what we do is only important to us. At the same time, being inspired by good sounds helps our performance. So if you enjoy what you're hearing, I say go for it. It's my job too, but sometimes it's important to remember our instruments are more than just tools.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep eyeing these and honk that for the cost and as much as Inwould like another analog keys or sub 37 etc that this will get my money next. Seems it sounds pretty darn good one line and is quite a value. I have never tried to use such a device with the Kronos, haven't even tried the minitaur yet but it certainly looks to give what I want and should be an interesting addition to the beast. Anyone who has had one for a bit have anything new to add? Are you tire of it St or still finding it useful? Thanks!
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out instagram.com/synthjam he has a kronos and minilogue post !!!
13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: