Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird behaviour of Kronos - Could be the cold temperature?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metallo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Weird behaviour of Kronos - Could be the cold temperature? Reply with quote

I have my Kronos 73 (1st version) in my studio where I rehears with the band.
In these days the temperature is very cold, we rehears only twice a week and we switch the heating on, the rest of the days the heating is off so the room is quite cold.
Yesterday the kronos started to behave in a weird way. I have a combination that is made by some splits and some layers for each split.
One of the splits is made by 2 different sounds of bells that are perfect in tune and I change the pitch of one of the oscillators (together with other parameters) with the modulation joystick. (The bell sound that is at the very beginning and at 0:35 of this song: [url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbt0YqlSrJQ[/url] )
I have this sound in a slot in the setlist.
Yesterday it started to behave in a very weird way, randomly the sound stopped to play and, when it was playing, the bells were not in tune.

For what I have seen it was the only sound giving problems.
I tried to upload the sound from the usb key where I have my backup but with no luck.

I thought it could be the temperature since also my V-Synth GT started to behave weirdly with the touch screen not working properly. It already happened in the past but in this case it is a physical object, the screen, that suffers from the cold.

Do you have any idea?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually not so much the cold as it is the huge fluctuations in humidity when you cool down and heat up a room and an instrument. Condensation can build up in the Kronos when you switch off the heating after rehearsals. For the same reason it's important to let your instrument cool off after a gig before loading it into a cold van. That said, the Kronos doesn't have any analog parts in the sound engines so one sound misbehaving seems odd. Perhaps it was one of the controllers that you normally don't use much? The Vector Joystick or the ribbon? That could definitely be caused by moisture. I would really recommend keeping the heating on at a basic level (15C?) even when you're not there.
metallo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander,

Thanks for your answer and good point about humidity.
The fact that the kronos doesn't have any analog part it's exactly what worried me more, it was a software problem, not an hardware one.
Unless, as you said, is one of the controller (mayne one of the knobs on the left side).

Anyway, yesterday I brought it at home, tonight I'm going to check and hopefully everything will be back normal...finger crossed.

Yes, I will definitely keep the room warmer from now on Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos does have analogue circuitry. All the post-DAC and pre-ADC circuitry is essentially analogue. The switched mode power supply relies on analogue signals to maintain the output voltage(s), the after touch sensing circuitry is analogue, the control surface pots produce analogue signals, the pedal inputs are analogue initially, before being sampled then multiplexed onto an I2C bus.

Even digital signals can be affected by board humidity levels; usually an all or none effect i.e. it either works or doesn't.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said it doesn't have analog parts in the sound engines. There is practically no way for any humidity or temperature to affect the CPU or software in such a way that only one specific patch would be detuned, unless there is an analog controller assigned to it somewhere.
navydave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The random de-tuning could be the joystick going bad and have nothing to do with the temperature. I replaced mine recently for a similar problem and after replacing the joystick, I haven't had the problem since. This isn't the first Korg model where a bad joystick caused random de-tuning. Happened with my Triton Le also. If the unit is more than a few yrs old and you use the joystick frequently, might be something to investigate.
metallo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your answers guys.
Luckily yesterday once at home I switched the kronos on and, as hoped, it back to its normal behaviour Smile
Luckily I would say, I have a couple of dates approaching fast and it would have been quite a mess otherwise Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes Sander, if only I'd read the rest of the sentence before hitting Reply!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: