Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Hours with the Pa4X
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
I'm actually re-evaluating arrangers as I become better acquainted with what they are able to do in this day and age.
Coming from a background of workstations because I did not really have a need for the styles which usually are an important part of arrangers, a world has opened for me when I decided to watch some tutorials about what is possible with styles and arrangers in general.
Furthermore, the onboard emulations of (acoustic) instruments are really top grade.

Today's top arrangers are far more than just the 'one man's band' concept, as they are very music-oriented and primed for writing and arranging music (as well as being able to function as the one man band).
Maybe the traditional workstation is gradually merging with the concept of the arranger?
I'm very impressed with the capabilities of arrangers such as the PA4X and the Tyros 5, and I definitely will check them out later this year.

I think KORG has done tremendous work in advancing the Arranger to “Professional” status, leaving the “Home Keyboard” mentality long behind.

While they do make great “Home Keyboards”, the Pa4X is by no means a home keyboard. It's probably more of a professional workstation than most actual workstations are.

Midi Implementation, Sampling, routing, programmability, sequencing, arranger, quality, it's all extremely high end function. Far beyond the completion. The Pa4X is actually a very serious keyboard for a serious and advanced musician.

If I manage to get my friends Pa4X into my studio for a few days , I'd like to record an in-depth video on the features and reasons why KORG Arrangers should be taken deadly serious, and why I think they are far superior than most workstations on the market.

There's a lot of unintentional ignorance from Workstation users when it comes to Arrangers. I'm sure many of them have no clue as to how advanced KORG Arrangers are at all. DNC and RX Technology is an entire discussion in itself that every workstation user should know about.

Regards
Sharp.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
There's a lot of unintentional ignorance from Workstation users when it comes to Arrangers. I'm sure many of them have no clue as to how advanced KORG Arrangers are at all. DNC and RX Technology is an entire discussion in itself that every workstation user should know about.

Regards
Sharp.

I think that's very true.
The word arranger usually conjures up the idea of 'one-note-accompaniment-for-prefab-music' and 'presets', with the underlying (negative) idea that it's something intended for people who may not have the chops and/or musical knowledge to do things for themselves and who wish to stick to typical MOR music, not something for 'real adventurous musicians'.
Arrangers tend to suffer from this image problem which dates back to the first arrangers as the offspring of the electronic home organ with the built-in rhythm box.
And I understand this idea because in my ignorance I also stayed out of the way of arrangers because of the reasons I mentioned, but how wrong I turned out to be!

The PA4X offers a dedicated synth engine (EDS-X) allowing users to create their own sounds, styles are editable and you can create your own, there's a full-fledged sampler onboard, and it completely negates the idea of the 'static band in a box of presets'.
KORG has done a marvelous job with the PA4X, and it's about time to get rid of the idea of arrangers as 'preset tools' designed for 'one-finger-musicians' to create 'prefabricated music'.
I had no idea that these features were present on the PA4X, and this makes it indeed an ideal companion for songwriters, not forgetting how for live performance the PA4X also has a lot to offer.

Considering today's functionality of high end arrangers I would not be surprised if Yamaha ditched the traditional workstation concept of the Motif because they intend to incorporate more of that functionality (sound editing, sampling, etc.) in the future Tyros line.
I think it's an exciting development which has a lot to offer for both musicians and songwriters/arrangers.

I hope you get a chance to do that video, I'm looking forward to it.
ecca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: 2 hours of Pa4x Reply with quote

I think that only Members of Keyboard Clubs who play at members Open
nights and are Yamaha users will fully understand the need for having a USB stick available for use on any other persons keyboard.
This is why I believe Korg users in general don't see the need for this feature.
Whilst playing Yamaha for years I found this more than useful.Programmes
for special events, Xmas/New Year etc were stored on sticks, they could
be modified any time and did'nt take up space on the keyboard HD..
Having changed to Korg some time ago I can now understand why we Korg users do not play someone elses keyboard and they do not play ours.
As a keen Korg player I would still welcome the availabilty to use Songs,
Styles etc,direct from the USB Stick. I also think it would be an addition
to the Pa series which would extend the home user market for Korg.

In the meantime I will continue to find out more and more about my 4x
and continue to enjoy playing it.
ecca.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ecca.
I never knew such clubs even existed. Is this something more for Home Keyboard Players who love to get out, or do actually Gigging Musicians play in such clubs?

Regards
Sharp.
mabcomp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
I'm actually re-evaluating arrangers as I become better acquainted with what they are able to do in this day and age.
Coming from a background of workstations because I did not really have a need for the styles which usually are an important part of arrangers, a world has opened for me when I decided to watch some tutorials about what is possible with styles and arrangers in general.
Furthermore, the onboard emulations of (acoustic) instruments are really top grade.

Today's top arrangers are far more than just the 'one man's band' concept, as they are very music-oriented and primed for writing and arranging music (as well as being able to function as the one man band).
Maybe the traditional workstation is gradually merging with the concept of the arranger?
I'm very impressed with the capabilities of arrangers such as the PA4X and the Tyros 5, and I definitely will check them out later this year.

Why does it seems everyone is always keep relegating the PA4X to a One Man band situation. This is a flagship Keyboard which will work easily and comfortably in any environment, and with incredible instruments, stop saying its a One man band machine please.
bud2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharp, yes we have gigging musicians who play at our club on our Open Nights as well. We have monthly meetings the first Thursday of the month we have a well known professional artist who play either organ or keyboard, then on the third Thursday of the month we have our Open Night, which is where 7 of our members play a 20 minute spot, either on their own keyboard, or just bring their USB stick and use someone else's keyboard, of course this can only be owners of Yamaha keyboards. They can also just bring a USB stick and play our club's organ, a Ringway RS600, which a few of our members own. Or they can play our club's piano, again a Yamaha DGX 640.
I would have thought there were other clubs around the UK who do similar things.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic. I wish we had clubs like that around here. It's a great idea.

Regards
Sharp.
bud2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ecca, we have people who come to our Forum meetings in Skegness, which we hold twice a year, who also take advantage of the wonderful feature of being able to put your own Registrations on a USB stick and then play them on someone else's keyboard, because some of the people come from Ireland, Scotland and we have even had one of our members come all the way from Texas, now imagine having to bring your own keyboard all that way if you couldn't use this facility.
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud,
bud2 wrote:
Paolo, no the direct access is only for styles

You can also have Keyboard Sets (approximately equivalent to Yamaha's Registrations) as Direct banks.

In general, being the Pa4X completely customizable, the suggested way of proceeding is to save the content of the host keyboard to a SET on a storage device, load the guest's SET, and after the show reload the host's SET to restore everything to the original situation.

Paolo
bud2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paolo, I think this is too much to expect from most of our members, it was not easy to let them know they could do it on the Yamaha keyboards, very easy. However if they had to mess about saving this then loading that and then having to load the original stuff back after they had finished I doubt anyone would do it.
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud2 wrote:
Hi Paolo, I think this is too much to expect from most of our members, it was not easy to let them know they could do it on the Yamaha keyboards, very easy. However if they had to mess about saving this then loading that and then having to load the original stuff back after they had finished I doubt anyone would do it.

With all due respect, I find this rather silly. What Paolo says virtually comes down to the same thing and as you are all playing Yamamha keyboards I fail to understand the essence of your statement. I repeat, I mean no disrespect but I find it a bit hard to be taken seriously.

regards,
John
bud2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, the difference is, with Yamaha there is no saving the original stuff on the keyboard you are going to borrow, then loading yours, now if someone else wants to use the keyboard they have to load all there stuff on and at the end the guy's who's keyboard you were using has to load all his stuff back on. There is none of this with Yamaha because you are not messing up any of the stuff on the keyboard at all, you just plug in your USB stick and away you go, when you have finished you take your stick out and there is nothing more to do, no loading up the guy's stuff whos keyboard you have borrowed. That is the major difference and I will not say anymore about this as it seems to be upsetting the whole thread. End
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is the major difference and I will not say anymore about this as it seems to be upsetting the whole thread. End

It's all cool bud.
We all have different and specific needs, likes and dislikes and this is clearly something you would dearly like on the PA4X.
I think it would not be that popular as an enhancement but fully respect that it is important to you.

It is not something that I would have ever thought of using personally. In the past at a time when I had a colleague with a PA3X who lived locally we basically got together and did as Paolo suggests.

I doubt it will ever be implemented on the PA4X, so sincerely hope you can live with that - you do have the best professional arranger workstation-arranger (can't wait to get my PA4X)

Take care

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

We all have different and specific needs, likes and dislikes and this is clearly something you would dearly like on the PA4X.
I think it would not be that popular as an enhancement but fully respect that it is important to you.

Pete,
I agree with you with different needs from different musicians.
I personally would wish to have such a feature in Pa4x since I travel between states most of the times for gigging.
And I know at least 4 or 5 other keyboard players (they are not member here in the Forum)
like me traveling for gigging between the states who wish to have such a great feature in Pa4x and bring only their flash drive and loading to another similar keyboard.
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer own a Yamaha, but I kept a USB stick with all my settings on it, so if I want to go set in for a friend who has one, it is as simple as inserting the stick, and calling up registrations.
It is not a factor with Korg PA4x, because I'm the only one within 150 miles to own one! Smile
... and I like it like that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: