Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel with Pa4x?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jac38

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Travel with Pa4x? Reply with quote

I'm looking for som bag or case to use when travel with it. I understand that it depends on how I travel. I'm not talking about going to any gigs or similar. I need to take the Pa4x with me on a airplane half around the globe.

After looking and reading at different models I think I need to buy a hardcase. There are some things I can't understand and need your help with.

Is there any good reason to buy a 76-note case, other the saving some space? I think the most logic is to buy a 88-note case as there are things in the bag that you can adjust the size and then I will get some space for other stuff I need to pack, maybe like the mic, cabels and headphones...

For the moment I'm using a standard X-shapt stand for the keyboard. Are there any diffrence in what model I use when it comes to weight and other issues related to travel this way? Or are these cheap enough for leaving at home and buy another

I cant understand why there is no solution on the cases for attaching the stand. Or why not a box with a "built in stand" so you always will have them both with you, and just need to take out the keyboard and place in on top of the box....
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jac38, I would probably go for a 76 key ATA SKB hard case (the TSA locks, slim model, not the deep model). Even though I have both an old 88 key case and a brand new 76 key case, I'd personally use the 76 key case for flights and/or travelling as it will be lighter, the keyboard fits better and there is less chance of things moving about inside it (when the case is thrown about by the luggage handling staff).

Also, FYI, that rough airport handling is one of the reasons why keyboard stands aren't generally attached to cases, as anything sticking out (like legs of a stand are likely to get ripped off or caught, may prevent the case from being handled easily and may even potentially make the case/keyboard combo overweight for staff handling).

Another point that may be worth noting is that often a 76 note case will just about fit across the back seat of a car but 88 note cases generally won't (and even if you try to stand them up in the foot well, 88's are still harder to deal with). Also, FYI, custom-made full flight cases, which I've had custom made in the past, weigh significantly more than these plastic types, so, even though they may protect the keyboard the best, the weight and the cost of carriage would make them a no go for me.

Before I purchased my case, I contemplated between a gator 76 or SKB 76 but found quite a few negative comments about the strength of the Gator 76 hard case handle (i.e. It is prone to falling off - not good!). So, I went for an ATA SKB (shallow NOT deep version) which has TSA locks (i.e. suitable/designed for Airlines - so they don't have to break them open!) and has in-built wheels.

Re. your keyboard stand question; I personally prefer table top stands rather than x stands (as they are more stable, especially with a 76 note keyboard) but if I were travelling like you, I'd probably just pick up a $20 X-type stand in each country (rather than taking one with me), as the cost and hassle will probably be a lot less (if you buy a new or used one in each country).

These are just my personal opinions/thoughts but I hope they help a little.

Best wishes,

Jon
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any injection moulded case I wouldnt trust those through airport baggage. The instrument isnt cheap and I would only transport it in a full touring flightcase and fully insured. Just my opinion you understand
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: INSURANCE!!!! Reply with quote

Just a quick aside:-
A good friend and real decent guy travelled from East to West Australia with his PA3X - checked it in with his luggage at the airport and never saw it again to this day.
Poor guy had no insurance too.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
jac38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the "Gator Cases GKPE-76-TSA" case only because I can live with the price. I am fully insured and there is a place at the airport where you can get your luggage rapped up with some type of plastic. There must also be possible to use "fragile" stickers...

I found a picture of it here:

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/166256-Gator-Cases-GKPE-76-TSA

Do you think it will be enough, or...?
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggage handlers have little time or respect for musical instruments and Fragile means Chuck It !
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jac38 wrote:
I'm looking at the "Gator Cases GKPE-76-TSA" case only because I can live with the price. I am fully insured and there is a place at the airport where you can get your luggage rapped up with some type of plastic. There must also be possible to use "fragile" stickers...

It may be OK if you're lucky but as I mentioned previously, I'd still personally go for the SKB equivalent, as it's $40 cheaper, five pounds lighter, comes with a lifetime warranty and there aren't any user reviews about the handle falling off (like there are for the gator version that you were thinking about).

Best wishes,
Jon
Salto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Gator 76 soft case....still large for the 76 keyboard. I definitely would go hard case if I were you.

I don't think I would take my PA 4X on a plane....I would be a nervous wreck.....

Too risky for my blood

www.stevealtonian.com

Korg PA 4X 76-Korg Triton Extreme-Breedlove American C25-Fishman Artist Acoustic Guitar Amp-Tascam DP 24 Digital Multitrack
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sound module version would've been a perfect solution. I don't know about Europe or other countries, but in the US rough handling of baggage is beyond ridiculous. I travel a lot for my work and you should see my brand new suitcases that I just bought couple of weeks ago!!! Good thing I don't have to take my instruments with me. I can't believe how any of these electronic instruments could actually survive one single trip.

jac38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salto wrote:
I have the Gator 76 soft case....still large for the 76 keyboard. I definitely would go hard case if I were you.

I don't think I would take my PA 4X on a plane....I would be a nervous wreck.....

Too risky for my blood

This is to the last 2 who wrote about this. I must say I'm very confused right now. Is there 2 bags that has the same name, or what? Did any of you follow the link or have I missunderstod some major part about this?

When you follow that link, the headline on this is "Gator Cases GKPE-76-TSA Hardshell ATA 76-Key Keyboard Flight Case with TSA Latches".

IS this not a hardcase flight case?

Last edited by jac38 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jac38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonyblues wrote:
jac38 wrote:

It may be OK if you're lucky but as I mentioned previously, I'd still personally go for the SKB equivalent, as it's $40 cheaper, five pounds lighter, comes with a lifetime warranty and there aren't any user reviews about the handle falling off (like there are for the gator version that you were thinking about).

Best wishes,
Jon

Sorry, but I need you to be a little more clear about what product you are talking about. Tried to seach on "SKB equivalent" and found a lot of pictures of bags in the wrong size. I'm also in Sweden and we have taxes on everything wich makes prices here on a whole diffrent levels then us. If I can find, whatever box you are talking about, to buy here in Sweden and it's better I of course will. A good start is to get that name, but just finding Music stores with a base in Sweden, isn't easy.

Buy it from the states online will take 2-6 weeks to get AND count 25% of the purchase price, plus shipping, to get the final price, as it's going to go through customs. On bigger items like this bag it just isn't a good deal in most cases..
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jac38, the specific model that I am talking about is called: SKB-5014W ATA 76-Note Keyboard Case with Wheels (there is also a deep version of this case, so make sure that you just get the regular/shallow version)

here's a link to the official SKB site: http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=99&o=%27&offset=%27&c=76&s=76

It may be worth considering, especially if you're looking for something to compare to the Gator hard case. Recommended price seems to be $389 but I got mine for $308 at B&H (with no tax) but am not sure what the cost will be in Sweden.

Note that the internal measurements only measure up to the start of the sponge (not the case), therefore, even though it looks on the official specs a fraction tight for the korg pa4x, it fits absolutely fine (I double checked with SKB before I ordered mine).

The internal corner movable 'cleats' are handy too, as they let you position the keyboard exactly where you want it in the case and they also help prevent the keyboard from moving/sliding about.

Just to give you an idea of what it looks like (and to prove that it actually fits Wink), I've put my PA4x in the SKB case and will email you some pictures.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jon[/img]
jac38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonyblues wrote:
Hi Jac38, the specific model that I am talking about is called: SKB-5014W ATA 76-Note Keyboard Case with Wheels (there is also a deep version of this case, so make sure that you just get the regular/shallow version)

here's a link to the official SKB site: http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=99&o=%27&offset=%27&c=76&s=76

It may be worth considering, especially if you're looking for something to compare to the Gator hard case. Recommended price seems to be $389 but I got mine for $308 at B&H (with no tax) but am not sure what the cost will be in Sweden.

Note that the internal measurements only measure up to the start of the sponge (not the case), therefore, even though it looks on the official specs a fraction tight for the korg pa4x, it fits absolutely fine (I double checked with SKB before I ordered mine).

The internal corner movable 'cleats' are handy too, as they let you position the keyboard exactly where you want it in the case and they also help prevent the keyboard from moving/sliding about.

Just to give you an idea of what it looks like (and to prove that it actually fits Wink), I've put my PA4x in the SKB case and will email you some pictures.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jon[/img]

Yes, it looks like a good case. And that price sound great but like from another dimention. The price from 6 diffrent shops here is the same for all, for that case, $685 compered with $271 for the Gator case. As I'm sure you understand that is not much to think about. When looking on Gator homepage you can't find this modell so I think this price is for a outgoing modell. I was waiting for any conformation that this is a hard case, but I guess I don't have to wait for that. I just can't pay over $600, but thanks for you help in this matter...
Vangelismusic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKB 3i-4214-TKBD
but it's heavy, but it is the safest case you can buy

Last edited by Vangelismusic on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keymn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy another seat for the keyboard. But check with airline on size requirements…
https://www.airlines.org/blog/instrument-rated-air-travel-for-musicians/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: