Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kronos died after 3 minutes - tech support 2-3 days?!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whardy7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: New Kronos died after 3 minutes - tech support 2-3 days?!! Reply with quote

I have been a Yamaha user, collecting 7 of their keyboards in the last 10 years. This is my first effort at Korg and I went with the Kronos. It's not looking like a very wise move at the moment.

I got it in today, then turned it on and loaded the demo song. The demo played impressively, then it froze on me. The touchscreen, physical buttons, nothing worked. I restarted after a few minutes and it came with System Startup failed. The only thing plugged in was speaker cables, but I unplugged the Kronos, took the speaker cable out and restarted it several times. Still nothing.

What bugs me more than that is that I can't actually talk to anyone at Korg. I called them and they said email support is all that they do. I did that and got an auto-reply that their response time is 2-3 days.

My plan is to try and get my money back. After doing my research, I don't doubt that the Korg is likely a better keyboard. But, a quality control issue this early, then what I'm discovering to get any support, I don't think this is the route to go. I need a dependable, responsive company more than I need a few added features.

I am open to your suggestions, either technically or thinking this through. I loved what I heard in the demo, but according to what I'm reading on the forums, I'm probably weeks outs from having a working keyboard due to having to send it back, then waiting for a fix.

Thanks for letting me vent Smile

whardy7
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kronos died after 3 minutes - tech support 2-3 days? Reply with quote

whardy7 wrote:

What bugs me more than that is that I can't actually talk to anyone at Korg. I called them and they said email support is all that they do. I did that and got an auto-reply that their response time is 2-3 days.

My plan is to try and get my money back. After doing my research, I don't doubt that the Korg is likely a better keyboard. But, a quality control issue this early, then what I'm discovering to get any support, I don't think this is the route to go. I need a dependable, responsive company more than I need a few added features.

I am open to your suggestions, either technically or thinking this through.

whardy7

this is a new Kronos 2, factory sealed ?

You purchased from an authorized Korg dealer ?
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: k Reply with quote

I would request for a full refund or see if the dealer would trade for a new one. Sorry to hear this but i feel your pain. In my opinion nothing beats a Kronos so i would call Customer Service at Korg and tell them your problem. The Customer Service number is at the Korg Website. Maybe they could help or speed up the process. Good luck
whardy7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was factory sealed and I bought it from Zzounds.com. I feel confident they are a reputable dealer. There is no Korg dealer in my town or I would have bought locally, even at a higher price.

I did call Customer Service and they said there is no tech support, except through email. I got to explain my situation to them, but that was their response and there seemed to be no budging on their answer.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whardy7 wrote:
Yes, it was factory sealed and I bought it from Zzounds.com. I feel confident they are a reputable dealer. There is no Korg dealer in my town or I would have bought locally, even at a higher price.

I did call Customer Service and they said there is no tech support, except through email. I got to explain my situation to them, but that was their response and there seemed to be no budging on their answer.

Zzounds has good google reviews so I think you are talking to a sales person who might be more interested in preserving his/her commission.

I would ask for the owner/manager and ask for an immediate replacement K2.
Do a swap/return

They really should work out of the box and I suspect you got a dud, bad mobo, similar component failure. ) The board failed after you played the demo).
JohnDonovan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This isn't the first time I've seen a post on here suggesting Korg support in the US isn't great which is a shame. I've generally found Korg UK very helpful; and certainly with a brand new keyboard I'd expect it to be dealt with better over here.

Is consumer law there drastically different; or you're expected to go through the merchant you bought from rather than dealing directly with the manufacturer?

Hope you get it sorted soon, and continue to enjoy the Kronos; as far as hardware keyboards go I still think it's leaps ahead of the competition.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Kronos died after 3 minutes - tech support 2-3 days? Reply with quote

I don't understand the issue.

Most stores will exchange a defective unit if it was purchased within ~10 days for a brand new one.

Just return it and get a new one.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnDonovan wrote:
Hi,

This isn't the first time I've seen a post on here suggesting Korg support in the US isn't great which is a shame. I've generally found Korg UK very helpful; and certainly with a brand new keyboard I'd expect it to be dealt with better over here.

Is consumer law there drastically different; or you're expected to go through the merchant you bought from rather than dealing directly with the manufacturer?

our laws are fine, perhaps more capitalistic ( buyer beware) than your country.

Some of these online retailers are very small businesses. So they aren't very fast and/or staffed correctly at solving the occasional problem.

And buyers have to be assertive and knowledgeable of what their rights are.
Since failures are so rare, they are unaware of what to do
jimiki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZounds is not so good after sales... even they have so much house rules for selling stuff.

I wonder how did TS buy from them where there are many like sweetwater / musiciansfriend etc.. who provide advise and support better than zz

I'd suggest, take them to consumer court if your unit is not replaced one to one.. Arrow
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I am not sure where you are located, but in the UK, Consumer laws mean that your "implied contract" is with the supplier, not Korg.

At this point I would be demanding a refund or exchange from the supplier.

I hope you get the issue resolved.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
metallo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest, fix the ram, probably it is loose and that causes the problem.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whardy7 wrote:

Read Zzounds return policy. Pretty solid! After 6 years of doing business with these folks I have had zero issues. When I purchased my Kronos2 from Zzounds, they credited me back $800 under their price protection policy with no hassles at all. Call them (Zzounds) and tell them you have an out of box failure and you want them to send you a replacement right away. They should pay for transport both ways.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimiki wrote:
ZZounds is not so good after sales... even they have so much house rules for selling stuff.

I wonder how did TS buy from them where there are many like sweetwater / musiciansfriend etc.. who provide advise and support better than zz

I'd suggest, take them to consumer court if your unit is not replaced one to one.. Arrow

This has not been my experience with Zzounds at all in the last 6 years. Can't speak to any time previous to that. After I bought by Kronos2 from them, about 1 week after I received the keyboard, I noticed a competitor was selling the same Kronos2 for $800 less. I emailed ZZounds and within 1 hour I received an email back saying they were giving me an $800 credit per their price match policy. I don't think the OP has contacted ZZounds yet???

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whardy7 wrote:

I assume this was KORG customer support, not ZZounds, right? Call ZZounds, they should send a replacement keyboard out to you the same day.

Johann Sebastian Bach

jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what country and city do you live? I'm really sorry to hear about this by the way. That totally sucks.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: