Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Daughter playing in VR.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: My Daughter playing in VR. Reply with quote

Hi all.
I remember when I got my first GameBoy. 256 shades of gray-scale. Now I'm working with VR. This technology will change entertainment forever.

Here's my daughter checking out the latest SDK "Orion" for Leapmotion while in the VR world. It can't be explained as to how awesome it is to actually experience this. Seeing it on the screen is nothing whatsoever like seeing it in VR. In VR you feel you are actually there in a world that couldn't possibly exist. When I say "in a world" I really mean in there. Your brain thinks it's really there.

Regards
Sharp.

Last edited by Sharp on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the waving at the end Smile
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome!

Sharp, how old is your little girl?

..Joe
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp have yo tried the samsung unit yet? My wife was looking at it but I am holding on for a Occults because I have a mac. Will any of them work directly with a game machine like a PS4 or Xbox, WiiU etc? Thanks

You kids looks like she is having a ball! I showed my wife and she is even more determined now to make me buy earlier then later.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
That's awesome!

Sharp, how old is your little girl?

..Joe

Lana is 9. Like a duck to water, it all seems so natural to her.

Regards
Sharp.

Last edited by Sharp on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I asked. Here we have a little girl to whom VR is no big deal and part of everyday life, and an old fart like me - who is celebrating his 30 th year of working in IT by being laid off from IBM - who would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the VR realm.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm approaching my dotage...

Thanks.

..Joe
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have the Samsung Gear VR too.

Gear VR is perfect for watching Moves in your own Cinema, or Netflix on a 20 ft TV. Seeing 360 video and photo's from around the world. For Gaming, it's going to be dead basic as it simply doesn't have the power to do much at all CPU/GPU wise. Things like the free version of Solitaire are nice, but generally speaking it's very limited for everything gaming.

All in all, it's still impressive, but nowhere near what it's to use an Oculus Rift.

The downsides to Gear VR is that it feels like a brick on your face. It's a lot of weight that falls on the bridge of your noise. The lenses fog up like crazy when starting out so best to wear the device on your head for about 10 minutes before using it. There's no tracking camera, so Gear VR drifts often. This is very annoying if sitting down to watch a movie because to look forwarded, you have to keep turning your head slightly more and more over the space of a few minutes just to keep looking forward. I find myself having to recentre the Gyro often when watching moves which is very annoying.

Still... well worth the money and very enjoyable.

Quote:
Will any of them work directly with a game machine like a PS4 or Xbox, WiiU etc? Thanks

Sony are bring out one specifically for the PS4, Nintendo don't have any, and the Xbox will work with Oculus Rift in the future only if you use a PC running Windows 10 connected to it.

Apple is a lost cause at the moment, even for Oculus Rift. The current SDK doesn't even support Apple any more.

Regards
Sharp.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
That's why I asked. Here we have a little girl to whom VR is no big deal and part of everyday life, and an old fart like me - who is celebrating his 30 th year of working in IT by being laid off from IBM - who would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the VR realm.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm approaching my dotage...

Thanks.

..Joe

In a way it's slightly disappointing for me to see her think all this is just normal. Many moons ago when watching the Lawnmower man movie, I always wanted to try VR since then. Now that I have a VR headset here, I can't believe it. Its so much more than I could have ever expected.

The world of Tron seems to basic now it's funny.

I wish my daughter shared my excitement of VR. In the future when we look back, I can see VR being seeing as a bigger influence in history than the invention of the TV. If anything, it will be the death of the TV, Cinema and many other forms of entertainment.

10 year from now a Skype call could very well happen face to face in the VR world.

Regards
Sharp.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sharp.

I didn't know mac was basically abandoned.

I will let her look into the samsung if she likes it. I may hold out for the Sony version. I will wait and see who really nails it to the fence this year. I am really looking forward to VR.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked into Vive, which is quite interesting, wireless head set and two sensors to track you through your room! I guess we'll see how this all developed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: