Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions - Considering M3 purchase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ovidius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Questions - Considering M3 purchase Reply with quote

Hello all,
after having M50 for some time I am looking for upgrade and M3 seems like best option in terms of functionality and money.

What I would like from this upgrade:
1) better sound - it seems to me in demos that especially pads seem more lively on M3 than on m50
2) digital output - to have cleanest sound possible and not having to care about recording levels when recording
3) sampling capabilities - to use sounds sampled from soft synths on computer directly in M3

I would like to ask you, experienced M3 owners about following:
1) Are there any problems with SPDIF digital input/output? Is it better / less problematic than firewire output? Has anyone tries using Firewire audio output over Firewire to Thunderbolt cable?
2) Is MIDI implementation same as on M50 (meaning: when a parameter is changed, appropriate MIDI message is sent out and when sent back to M3, setting is changed to appropriate value)? Are all parameters MIDI controllable? (e.g. Karma)?
3) Is M3 Editor working in Reaper? I tried to use M50 Editor but without much success, so I went back to using it as plain MIDI device and I am happy with it.
4) Is it possible to create Programs and Combis with own samples? Is it possible to save them to PCG file? Is it possible to transfer samples over MIDI dump of programs?
5) Do Combis on M3 send out generated MIDI notes to MIDI output? On M50 I have not been able to do this - only recording to Sequencer and playing back worked.
6) Is Karma working both in Program / Combi mode?
7) Is piano roll on M3 usable? How about touch screen, is it sensitive enough to be comfortable?
Cool When using digital output (SPDIF or Firewire), does Master volume slider have some effect on it?

Sorry for overwhelming questions. I would just like to figure out what could be possible problems and if the upgrade.

Many thanks for any information.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I use the SPDIF I/O on the M3 and never had any issues. I have not used the FireWire myself but have heard of many bad problems with it.

2. MIDI functions the same way as the M50. Some assignments may be different though. Some things are controlled with CC and others with sysex.

3. I never tried the M3 editor in Reaper.

4. You can create programs using your own samples and then use those programs in combis. Samples are not saved in PCG files, they are saved and loaded in separate files. If you are going to be using sampling I suggest you get the 256mb expansion. The default 64mb is used by the pianos and doesn't leave much to work with. Don't know if samples can be transferred with midi dump.

5. Combis output midi the same way as the M50.

6. Programs have 1 karma module and combis have 4 modules.

7. The piano roll is usable and the touch screen is ok. But it's just ok for occasional editing. I would prefer using a daw if a lot of editing is needed. There have been issues with touch screens on many of the M3's. I have 2 M3's and have had to replace the touch panel on both and it's not an easy job if you do it yourself. The entire module has to be disassembled. If I remember correctly the touch panel costs about $70 so not a major investment.

8. The master volume has no effect on SPDIF output level.
Ovidius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers, Bald Eagle. Exactly what I wanted to know! Smile

In SPDIF connection, does M3 allow to be synchronized to external word clock? And does it allow to be used as master clock?

For others reading this thread, did anyone succeed using FireWire connection to Mac over Firewire/Thunderbolt cable? 4 channel digital IO would be nice, although not necessary.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M3 can be the master or slave word clock. It supports 48 kHz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: