Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4 on board harmonizer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: PA4 on board harmonizer Reply with quote

Hi. I spent the past week exploring the TC Helicon Harmonizer in the PA4X. Here are a few things that I learned quickly.

1. There are about 35-40 presets. Only one of them (2 up 1 down) sounds good. The rest are really bad. Bummer!

2. I use the keyboard (chords) to play the harmonizer. I have the preset, "2 up 1 down" on. But some times it will jump back to preset, "Notes". So you constantly have to change back to "2 up 1 down". This is not good in a live gig environment.

3. I was able to connect the Korg PS-3 foot switch to the PA4X and it works perfectly. But you must be sure to have the right assigned settings prior to using.

In the end I'll probably continue to use my old Digitech Vocal Harmonizer and use the TC Helicon in the event my Digitech dies.

Keep playing music everyone!
Old fingers
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in front of the kb, but there is a place where you make the vocal setup GLOBAL, and nothing will change it until you change it yourself.
I'm very please with the harmonizer. Most of the time I use one voice above, and I've reduced the effects and saved it under a User Setup.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck.

TC Helicon processors are quite simply the most realistic there are so don't let the presets put you off. I have a TC Helicon Rack Unit myself with 100 Presets and I use none of them because they don't represent traditional singing. They are over complicated.

So, I made my own User Preset. A straight up traditional Duet. It sounds ultra realistic and I'm sure the same is possible on the Pa4X too.

Quote:
2. I use the keyboard (chords) to play the harmonizer. I have the preset, "2 up 1 down" on. But some times it will jump back to preset, "Notes". So you constantly have to change back to "2 up 1 down". This is not good in a live gig environment.

You can lock down and overwrite that in GLOBAL mode.

Regards
Sharp.
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments and input. As I am probably one of the oldest players on the forum (75), I also unfortunately am one of the slow learners, but very game. I'm not sure I know how to write my own harmony set up and I don't see it addressed in the 1000 page manual. I personally like a little more than 1 up and 1 down. The 2 up 1 down preset is okay but seems to have a little to much effects. I'm not asking for someone to tutor me, but a starting point on how to do this would help. Thanks. Chuck
Old fingers
mabcomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Harmonies Reply with quote

Cant agree with the former comments. I use several of the different settings and they sound great. Its horses for courses, use the right type of harmony for each song style. I also have the full blown voice Live 3 unit so I have the best of both worlds but really folks the keyboard ones are pretty good.
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the latest input. Like I said earlier, I'm getting pretty old and perhaps my hearing is going bad. But then maybe it's because I've been at the music business for 55 years and it's time to stop. It's always great to get another opinion.
Old fingers
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But then maybe it's because I've been at the music business for 55 years and it's time to stop.

Hey Chuck

It's NEVER time to stop when it comes to playing music.

I must admit that the PA3X TC helicon Youtube video is super impressive but I can't find some of those demo'd in the presets, however as Sharp says, have a play around with it.

I do not have a PA4X yet (waiting approval of my application Wink ) but I do use the PA3X Vocal Harmoniser a lot and it is worth a bit of effort.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck you're not that old. I'm only couple years behind and still playing five nights a week!
I'd offer to help you with figuring out the VH but my schedule right now is ridiculous. "My cup runneth over"! Not complaining though, as I haven't had to have a REAL job in 40 years! Smile
www.donmasonmusic.com
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good video showing how to take advantage of the Pa3x vocal harmonizer. I'm sure the Pa4x is similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQ3K3hzO8E
mabcomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Harmonizer Reply with quote

Yes good demo

Nice chap Just a shame hes not a better singer cos I know it sounds a lot better : Laughing
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's interesting there is that, near the end, you can see the 'mic' knob is turned full up. How come there's no clipping/distortion? Can't manage that on my 3x.

I'd sure like to know some of the presets he's using, too. The Beatles one was reaaly nice, and the country tune at the end, as well.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giner wrote:
What's interesting there is that, near the end, you can see the 'mic' knob is turned full up. How come there's no clipping/distortion?

The Trim on the back of the keyboard is likely set far too low.

Regards
Sharp.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just wondering aloud really, but I'm curious now about what might be the best option - have the gain low and the mic knob up, or set the gain as recommended in the manual and bring the mic knob up to optimum level.

Maybe six of one, half a dozen of the other. Interesting, though, that a pro doing an official demo would choose to go about it the way he did.

In the end though, it's like everything else, tweak to one's own satisfaction, I guess. I'm still fairly new with this lovely 3x, so I've still got a whole lot of digging to do.

Cheers. Very Happy
grafcable

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: PA4X Pro harmonozer and mp3 files Reply with quote

I tried to use harmonizer when play mp3 files and it just doesn't work. Compare to harmonizer on my old PA3X Pro Korg downgraded ability of harmonizer. PA3X Pro has option to automatically recognize harmony of mp3 files Korg PA4X Pro doesn't. And harmonizer works only for MIDI files not for mp3. It's really bad
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: PA4X Pro harmonozer and mp3 files Reply with quote

grafcable wrote:
... PA3X Pro has option to automatically recognize harmony of mp3 files Korg PA4X Pro doesn't. And harmonizer works only for MIDI files not for mp3. It's really bad

That was indeed one of the most talked about features when Korg introduced the PA3x. I remember there were multiple official NAMM and Studio videos on this feature alone. I never used it myself, so not sure how accurate it was in detecting the Chord progression. It is kind of odd for a feature to go from hero to zero that fast. You sure it's not there anymore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: