Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Style for Dolanes Melody on Pa4X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evo3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Style for Dolanes Melody on Pa4X Reply with quote

Hi to all

I am very happy to be part of this forum and since a week a proud owner of a brand new Pa4X int.
Now I am in the middle of migrate my Repertoire from my old GEM Genesys Pro to the 4X.

Unfortunately I am stuck a bit on find an appropriate style for the Dolanes Melody that I had in my old GEM. I tried already all factory and musikant styles.

Did someone know where to find something or at least give a hint?
This will be very helpful especially for other related song styles.

Many thanks in advance to all Smile
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Evo3, I'd never heard of that particular song (Dolannes Melody) before, so had to google it and have a quick listen.

There seems to be a few different versions around but presuming that you're looking for a style that would fit with a 'Clayderman' type of performance (rather than Borelly), I'd suggest that you try out either:

12/8 Ballad at approximately 92 BPM
or
6/8 Slow Ballad at approximately 92 BPM

Both of these are in the Ballad Section and are factory presets.

You would, of course, need to change the Upper 1 Sounds to Grand Piano (and maybe Upper 2 and 3 to Strings).

As well as mixing and/or muting the drums and backing instruments to get the sound that you're looking for, you could also, very easily, if required, change the drum mapping (style control menu) on any of the four variations if that helps you get the drum instrumentation that you're looking for.

I'm sure that there may be other appropriate styles too but these two were, in my opinion, the most appropriate factory presets which you should be able to easily adapt to fit the song.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jon
evo3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonyblues

Many thanks for the detailed explanation.
Glad to try this evening and I will let you know.

Regards
mabcomp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Style for Dolanes Melody on Pa4X Reply with quote

evo3 wrote:
Hi to all

I am very happy to be part of this forum and since a week a proud owner of a brand new Pa4X int.
Now I am in the middle of migrate my Repertoire from my old GEM Genesys Pro to the 4X.

Unfortunately I am stuck a bit on find an appropriate style for the Dolanes Melody that I had in my old GEM. I tried already all factory and musikant styles.

Did someone know where to find something or at least give a hint?
This will be very helpful especially for other related song styles.

Many thanks in advance to all Smile
What is the Genesys like as a keyboard, I seem to remember it could handle MP3 play long before any competitor.
evo3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jonyblues

Your advice with the 12/8 Ballad style was really perfect. I play it with a little bit slower tempo 78. Smile
The 6/8 Slow Ballad was for me not so appropriate.
Many thanks for it.
Unfortunately during my programming for a little delay on the upper 1 piano I made a mistake.
Afterwards strange wise I find out, that when I go to change the piano sound on upper 1 it disappear also the delay effect? What I not expect.
I think I made a mistake to program the delay on FX B instead of doing on another site?
Did you have a proposal?

Hi mabcomp
Yes, the Generalmusic GEM Genesys Pro and Pro S Keyboards were not only able to play MP3 but also the first Keys that was able to stream direct from HD MP3 and Midifile songs.
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Evo3, I'm glad that the style that I suggested works well for you.

In regards, to losing the sounds and effects that you've programmed, it sounds as if you may be accidentally trying to change the sounds of a 'locked' factory preset and that your changes are lost (when you leave that style) simply because the locked factory preset merely changes back to its original settings.

I'm a fairly new user of the PA4x myself but I'd suggest that the best solution for you is to either:

a) Create a new songbook entry, which uses the 12/8 Ballad as its style and make all of your tweaks and changes there (that way all of your settings, as long as you save them properly, shouldn't get lost/replaced) OR to simply save (i.e. copy) the 12/8 Ballad style into a user/favorite location, make all of your changes/tweaks and then save again once you're happy with your everything.

The one thing that I would definitely NOT recommend is to remove the lock settings from the factory styles in Global and make changes to the original factory presets (as these original styles are really useful to keep as good reference styles, which demonstrate many of the features, effects and programming options that are available within styles).

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Best wishes,

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: