Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In ear monitoring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: In ear monitoring Reply with quote

I am using keyboard monitors for about 25 years now to amplify my keyboard for rehearsals and gigs and this works well.

However, I noticed that my ears are getting worse because of too hard sound. Of course the obvious solution is to use ear plugs (without any amplification, just for reducing the total amount of sound).

However, since I also have in ear plugs, I used them during a rehearsal, by using the headphone output. By not putting the in ear plugs fully in my ear, but slightly 'loose' I still could hear the rest of the band.

The result is that the overall sound volume is a bit less, I can hear almost everybody quite well, except for the guitars slightly. However, with ear plugs to reduce the volume I had the same problem. Myself I hear of course with 100% good quality since I get the output of my synth directly in my ear. I cannot hear others by the same means, since they are not connected to a mixer.

I even used it during a gig last time and worked out quite well.

Is this method more used or has it other disadvantages?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered a set of "proper" ACS IEMs as the ones that came with my wireless monitor system are not very comfortable and keep falling out.

I've had the moulds of my ears taken (involves having silicon putty shoved in your ear canal!), and am just waiting for the IEMS to be made and delivered; they should be with me in a week or so. Will be interesting to see how good they are.

Not a cheap option at around £350, but the advantage of these ones as well is that they contain mics as well, so if you lash out for the special ACS belt pack, you can get both your monitor sound and the ambient sound as you would hear it normally on stage

As I said not a cheap option, but what value do you put on protecting your hearing?

I'm lucky in that I don't play in a particularly loud band. The guitarist probably even thinks that 5 is too loud! Wink The advantage of playing Pink Floyd is it is more about dynamics than all out sonic attack! Very Happy But even so, because I now need to use IEMS more often (I am taking on singing duties as well), it's an option to get the right set that will help protect my hearing.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I've just ordered a set of "proper" ACS IEMs as the ones that came with my wireless monitor system are not very comfortable and keep falling out.

I've had the moulds of my ears taken (involves having silicon putty shoved in your ear canal!), and am just waiting for the IEMS to be made and delivered; they should be with me in a week or so. Will be interesting to see how good they are.

Not a cheap option at around £350, but the advantage of these ones as well is that they contain mics as well, so if you lash out for the special ACS belt pack, you can get both your monitor sound and the ambient sound as you would hear it normally on stage

As I said not a cheap option, but what value do you put on protecting your hearing?

I'm lucky in that I don't play in a particularly loud band. The guitarist probably even thinks that 5 is too loud! Wink The advantage of playing Pink Floyd is it is more about dynamics than all out sonic attack! Very Happy But even so, because I now need to use IEMS more often (I am taking on singing duties as well), it's an option to get the right set that will help protect my hearing.

Thanks for this remark. I did not know that such mic/IEMs existed. I bought good but 'generic' IEMs (about 200 euro). Fully isolated/moulded IEMs woudl not work (unless they are mic'ed like yours).

I also have ear protectors which are mould, but than my own sound is also getting 'worse'. But I should check your idea, it sounds exactly what would be perfect, although I'm afraid in the Netherlands they might charge double.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones I have gone for

http://acscustom.com/uk/product/acs-evoke-live-custom/

This is without the ACS belt pack that gives you the ambient stage sound from the ear piece mics, but they will work with a standard belt pack as well (monitor only). In the first instance, I'll just monitor in one ear (what I have done with IEMS in the past) and get the belt pack when I can afford it

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool, but I don't know if I would buy it soon, since it's quite pricey (as expected). But it is good to know something like that exists.

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about mic'ed ones but normally you get a mix from the main desk. If you use your own mixer too, you can get everything but yourself and have your own volume control. If you're really lucky they use a digital desk and you can make your own mix with an iPad or Android pack.

The best value for money and high quality molds in Holland come from Cinepac I think. Worth checking out. Although since the molded ones close even better, you get even less ambient sound than you do now.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't know about mic'ed ones but normally you get a mix from the main desk. If you use your own mixer too, you can get everything but yourself and have your own volume control. If you're really lucky they use a digital desk and you can make your own mix with an iPad or Android pack.

The best value for money and high quality molds in Holland come from Cinepac I think. Worth checking out. Although since the molded ones close even better, you get even less ambient sound than you do now.

Thanks for your response. In most cases during gigs there is no sender/receiver module and monitors are mostly powered so not possible to connect to my IEM. In the rehearsal room only the singers and my keyboard is connected to the mixer (because the drums are loud anyway and the guitars have their own amps). I have worked once with an iPad, worked quite well, but that was during a gig where a digital desk was available, doesn't happen often in our band's case.

Actually I like that they are not molded, since now I have some ambient sound too. I NEED the ambient sound Smile since only my own keyboards come through my IEM, the rest I hear ambient.

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way monitoring with one earbud out is worse than actually going altogether without. The reason for this being that your ears natural "defense" mechanism doesn't kick in fully. Or so I've been told.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
By the way monitoring with one earbud out is worse than actually going altogether without. The reason for this being that your ears natural "defense" mechanism doesn't kick in fully. Or so I've been told.

I use both earbuds, but depending on the ambient sound I need, I either put them in completely in my ears or I pull them back slightly Smile

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cable by the way, I plug it into my own small mixer and get a bandmix from an aux on the main desk of everything except keys. When they have a powered monitor, they almost always also have an unpowered line.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michel,

We have an old discussion about it here (some links are not working).
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49506&highlight=shure

Years ago I had very good experiences with Shure SLC3 and SLC5. I’m sure they have an updated model now. Don’t buy any cheap solution.

I agree, you need a small mixer, an approx. 8-track with EQ-s, depending on your needs: the stereo bandmix from the main desk, your stereo synths directly, your singing voice from main desk, a click track, an ambient mic etc.

But always be careful and don’t set the volume too high in your ears (it's easy in a loud band). Practically, use it as low as you can. Unfortunately, rock and roll needs to be loud! Wink

An interesting article:
http://hearinghealthmatters.org/hearthemusic/2011/rock-and-roll-needs-to-be-loud-but-it-doesnt-need-to-be-intense/
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
Hi Michel,

We have an old discussion about it here (some links are not working).
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49506&highlight=shure

Years ago I had very good experiences with Shure SLC3 and SLC5. I’m sure they have an updated model now. Don’t buy any cheap solution.

I agree, you need a small mixer, an approx. 8-track with EQ-s, depending on your needs: the stereo bandmix from the main desk, your stereo synths directly, your singing voice from main desk, a click track, an ambient mic etc.

But always be careful and don’t set the volume too high in your ears (it's easy in a loud band). Practically, use it as low as you can. Unfortunately, rock and roll needs to be loud! Wink

An interesting article:
http://hearinghealthmatters.org/hearthemusic/2011/rock-and-roll-needs-to-be-loud-but-it-doesnt-need-to-be-intense/

Sorry for the late response.

Thanks for the articles, very interesting indeed.

However, I go for the most simple solution which I use now (IEM with only my own synth on the IEM and rest 'ambient' by not putting the plugs in my ear too tightly).

I will take care I put them in at least so tight, I don't need to put the volume higher than like 60-70% like I did last times. In one gig I used 90% and that's probably too loud.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: