Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Velocity sensitive Program/Combi?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rav2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Velocity sensitive Program/Combi? Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I am new as a member of the KORG forum, but have been around for almost one year meanwhile, regularly visiting and reading up on technical infos, user stories, and many great insights shared. All these good discussions somehow took their toll, it seems, as they inevitably funneled towards the purchase of a little something. So I exactly knew what I wanted, and that I had not to fear, when finally crossing paths with ... drum roll ... proudly presenting a new family member ... an OASYS 76 Rolling Eyes!

It would be stating the obvious trying grasp the infinite sound possibilities that this board is capable of - in skilled hands, that is. And herein lies my first question, hoping to get some initial pointers, from a kind KORG community.

The challenge:
What I am currently targeting to achieve? I would described it as triggering an additional timbre upon exceeding a certain velocity threshold. Let's say, there should be some lush strings sounding when playing softly. Hit harder, that lush string should be overlaid with another sound (e.g., timpani/kick drum/etc.). Here's an example of what I am trying to accomplish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7A-JkcjcrI (between 1:30 and 1:45) Rolling Eyes

I have tried the following, albeit not having huge success so far:
- search the forum Very Happy
- followed some video tutorials (e.g., Stephen Kay's Drum Roll Tutorial - Parts 1/2, Qui Robinez' Korg Kronos Tutorials, scoopicman's Punchy Horns, just naming a few)

From my gut feelings I would somehow gravitate towards:
- setting up a combi (strings + timpany), and
- use a velocity trigger to bring in the timpani above a certain threshold.

Sounds easy? I may be doing something utterly wrong, or simply not comprehending the matter yet (which could be equally likely Embarassed).
I would highly appreciate if you could share pictures of a few key screens, just enough to get me back on track.

Thanks a lot in advance / best wishes,
R2
DAW: Juggling between FL 12 and Reaper.
Rav2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: [Solved: Velocity Sensitive Program/Combi] Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Here is an update on the topic (discovered a fine solution myself). It is easy to do and might be of interest as well to the community:

This is how to do it:
- Set up a combi (strings + percussion)
- Under Combination P3: MIDI Filter/Zones, a velocity parameter table is displayed
- Locate the bottom row, named "bottom velocity"
- Set the bottom velocity value to any larger than the default 'oo1' value (= new velocity threshold)

I have entered a value of 80 for my drums and found this value a good compromise to not inadvertently fire when not actually intended to do so Cool.

Hope you will enjoy!
Regards, R2
DAW: Juggling between FL 12 and Reaper.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found it out and thanks for posting this, helping other readers having a similar problem.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello R2, congratulations to the solution and also to your O!

I think the interface is logical and intuitive, in many cases it is only a question of time to find the right way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: