Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impossible Sysex transfer - Help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoshi88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Impossible Sysex transfer - Help needed Reply with quote

Despite umpteen futile attempts at transferring M1 preload sysex to the M1. nothing works.

I am using MidiOx and have correctly configured the global parameters , the midi / USB cable, the buffers etc. but NO Success.

Interestingly the Computer sees M1 and M1 sees the computer. So does Sibelius and other music programs. All programs freely transmit and receive midi data!

But I can not transfer Sysex files into the M1 even from an older computer?

HElp ... advice ? Your thoughts
T3owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible Sysex transfer - Help needed Reply with quote

Typically, bulk SysEx is harder to transmit than music sequence data. I presume you have memory protect disabled.

See http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=query;action=display;num=1233066799

Also, if you're using a USB MIDI "cable", some of those interfaces just don't work well.

See http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=query;action=display;num=1226576558

If no joy with changing settings, try a better MIDI interface.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that some MIDI interfaces don't work well. Sysex data transfer is much more timing critical than MIDI data, and I found a cheap USB to MIDI cable just wouldn't work for Sysex data. I ended up using a Korg Kontrol49 as a USB to MIDI interface. Also, the MidiOx buffer sizes and timing parameters will probably need to be altered. I'm not next to the computer running MidiOx at the moment so can't advise on specific values, but it has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

yoshi88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...

so what you are saying is : Although the cheap USB / Midi connector is effective for tx/rx real time midi data to/from /computer or other devices running notation software and the like, it does work with sysex messages.

I do have a Roland Octa-capture Audio interface with midi.
So now I wonder if that would work without negatively affecting the Ocata-capture?

voip wrote:
Agree that some MIDI interfaces don't work well. Sysex data transfer is much more timing critical than MIDI data, and I found a cheap USB to MIDI cable just wouldn't work for Sysex data. I ended up using a Korg Kontrol49 as a USB to MIDI interface. Also, the MidiOx buffer sizes and timing parameters will probably need to be altered. I'm not next to the computer running MidiOx at the moment so can't advise on specific values, but it has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

yoshi88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Success - Roland Octacapture - Midi / Audio interface Reply with quote

You were correct 100%

Although the USB/MIDI will transmits a midi dump to a computer ....The Cheap Chinese USB/MIDI cable will fail every time sending sysex into M1.

The solution is using a better interface instead of these cheap $6 usb/Midi cables off of ebay etc.

Hours were spent in futility using that cable for sysex.

However the cheap cable works for midi data to notation programs such as Sibelius etc as both Korg and computer software see and hear each other!

Those cables are not SYSEX capable!!!!
yoshi88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Success - Roland Octacapture - Midi / Audio interface Reply with quote

You were correct 100%

Although the USB/MIDI will transmits a midi dump to a computer ....The Cheap Chinese USB/MIDI cable will fail every time sending sysex into M1.

The solution is using a better interface instead of these cheap $6 usb/Midi cables off of ebay etc.

Hours were spent in futility using that cable for sysex.

However the cheap cable works for midi data to notation programs such as Sibelius etc as both Korg and computer software see and hear each other!

Those cables are not SYSEX capable!!!!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the problem was solved.

jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm sorry to disagree with you on this, but most if those cheap Chinese usb-midi cables Can be used to send and receive sysex data.
The only midi-USB cable I have is one of those, bought of eBay several years ago, and has yet to let me down with midi or sysex data.

The problem with sysex for the M1 (in my case the T3) is finding the correct settings on midiox or similar soft for the synth to understand the information coming from the PC.
The M1/T3 reads sysex data verrrrryyyy slooooowwwllyyy and in small packets of it Wink
I had a bit of a pain to get my laptop with midiox to send sysex to my T3 when I bought it a couple of years ago, but I never had trouble sending sysex to my old M1 back in the day from the old computers.
The current laptops are just way too fast for the poor old M1/T3 to keep up at the default settings. The settings on the send/receive buffer have to be adjusted for it to receive properly.
I can look up my settings and post them later.

On a side note I never had any problems sending sysex at default settings with my 01w, Trinity, wavestation or JV modules, same cable for all
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
yoshi88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried for hours and consulted with many techs on the buffer settings etc in midiox using a slower older computer with adjusted MIDIOX buffer settings All futile.

IF the computer speed was an issue, than my newest PC would have smoked the M1.... but it didn't... as I connected it to a superior MIDI interface.... which was the Roland Octacapture Audio / midi interface .... using default MIDIOX settings.

Transfer speed was NOT the issue. The Cheap Chinese cables were the issue being incapable of handling even smaller sysex byte packet transfers. So I conclude that the cables were the issue NOT the computer.

jorgemncardoso wrote:
Hi guys, I'm sorry to disagree with you on this, but most if those cheap Chinese usb-midi cables Can be used to send and receive sysex data.
The only midi-USB cable I have is one of those, bought of eBay several years ago, and has yet to let me down with midi or sysex data.

The problem with sysex for the M1 (in my case the T3) is finding the correct settings on midiox or similar soft for the synth to understand the information coming from the PC.
The M1/T3 reads sysex data verrrrryyyy slooooowwwllyyy and in small packets of it Wink
I had a bit of a pain to get my laptop with midiox to send sysex to my T3 when I bought it a couple of years ago, but I never had trouble sending sysex to my old M1 back in the day from the old computers.
The current laptops are just way too fast for the poor old M1/T3 to keep up at the default settings. The settings on the send/receive buffer have to be adjusted for it to receive properly.
I can look up my settings and post them later.

On a side note I never had any problems sending sysex at default settings with my 01w, Trinity, wavestation or JV modules, same cable for all
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, i totally trust you did your homework on this, I was just trying to help out, not criticizing....

It obviously depends on what specific "cheap Chinese cable" you have, and more importantly (and that could be the issue) what drivers you are using it with.
I got my cable neerly 10 years ago, its unbranded but the name on the device manager is "Viewcon" I had Vista at the time and it didn't work, so I busted my ass looking for info, and found a site to address this problem, I've installed some E-mu drivers (for there cables) and its been working flawlessly ever since. Did it again for Win7 and all is ok. I still have the site and drivers backed up somewhere if anyone is interested.

I never had a problem with this cable sending sysex to any device. Only trouble I've run into was sending to the T3, but once I've adjusted the buffer settings it was ok. It may give one or two errors now and then but for the main part works great.

However this was my personal experience with my stuff, yours may be a different one Neutral
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a wide range of MidiOx buffer and delay settings with a cheap Chinese USB to MIDI cable and could not get Sysex transfer to work. With the Kontrol49, it pretty much worked first time.

Maybe not all cheap Chinese interfaces are the same. They do have a habit of leaving out important filtering and other components to try and reduce the cost, even as far as putting in dummy components into computer power supplies, for example, just to get the items through visual inspections.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cable os similar to this one:

Maybe the new obes have more problems now. They are probably cutting more corners in manufacture
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cheap Chinese USB to MIDI cable is different. Similar shape case, but different colour (black, non-transparent), and the LED layout is slightly different. Maybe you have a better design.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It's going to depend on the internal design of the circuit inside the cable.

I sell SYSEX librarians for several Yamaha synths and MOST (not all) of the problems people report with transfer issues USUALLY go away when we discover the user is using a USB/MIDI lead and I suggest getting something like a MOTU MIDISPORT 2x2 (Not expensive and pretty rock solid).

The big issue is that a lot of these USB/MIDI cables are designed for "typical" use, and may not be designed to have memory buffers large enough to handle SYSEX data messages, which are much larger in size than the standard MIDI set. E.g. standard MIDI messages are between 1 and 3 bytes. Even a DX7 bulk dump is 4000 bytes. More modern synths can be much larger again.

So a really cheap lead may work fine with general MIDI traffic (very small messages), but its buffers will get flooded by a SYSEX dump. And as mentioned above, quality of drivers can also be a big issue.

I know people who use USB/MIDI cables with no issues, but equally I know of people who have been having transfer issues which went away when they purchased a different interface.

Hope that explanation helps a little Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
mediterrano

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: M1 buttons do not work, how else to enable MidiEx transfer Reply with quote

I want to load in new sounds to M1 using FLEX Editor but the buttons and keys of my M1 are all dead/sticky/corroded, therefore I can’t follow the below instructions to swith M1 to SysEx receive mode.

Set your M1 as follows in the global section:
Midi channel to 1
Memory protects to OFF
Midi filtering excl: ENA; 100/100 mode

Is there anyway to remotely enable M1 to receive “Bulk Dump” or “Sysex Dump”?

Maybe by sending some MIDI or SysEx messages from Midi-OX?...
If not, my M1 is pretty much useless without repairing/replacing the buttons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: