Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chance to purchase an M3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Chance to purchase an M3 Reply with quote

I have the chance to purchase an M3 61 key's, Never had the chance to play one their hard to get but the shop selling it ask an whopping 1495 Euro's for it does that seem a fair price nowaday's.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
keeverw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance to purchase an M3 Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
I have the chance to purchase an M3 61 key's, Never had the chance to play one their hard to get but the shop selling it ask an whopping 1495 Euro's for it does that seem a fair price nowaday's.

Not sure about the availability and supply and demand wherever you live, but that price seems a bit high to me.

I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for one here in the USA, whatever that converts to in Euros. Less than 1495 I think.

But they are still readily available here on the used market, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do not come by often or so one appears not even an expanded or with an radias. I could do it to try out for 14 day's but I'm afraid to going to like it and pay that huge amount for it. Could bargain the price down.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
Could bargain the price down.

Definitely give that a try. After converting today's exchange rate, 1495 Euros=$1683 US. That's outrageous for a used Korg M3 61 key!

I'd offer them 1000-1100 Euros. That's a much better price.
keeverw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
Could bargain the price down.

Definitely give that a try. After converting today's exchange rate, 1495 Euros=$1683 US. That's outrageous for a used Korg M3 61 key!

I'd offer them 1000-1100 Euros. That's a much better price.

I saw a used Kronos-61 for $1600 today on guitarcenter.com
Knowing what I know now, I would definitely go for a Kronos over an M3.
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
mikefellh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeverw wrote:
I saw a used Kronos-61 for $1600 today on guitarcenter.com Knowing what I know now, I would definitely go for a Kronos over an M3.

Especially considering the issues with the M3 touchscreen (I just bought a replacement one, yet to be installed).
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'v blew my chances two times to get a B-stock Kronos for an affordable price...Its times like this I'll get amazed by myself not acting quick and get really quiet...

Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've declined to purchase an M3, Although there were two keyboard one 61 key and one 88 key. Al though I loved to experience this keyboard I'll wait my next chance to get a Kronos cheaply in favor.

iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: you had a choice or there were 2 units for the price? Reply with quote

you had a choice of 2 systems or there were 2 units for the same price?
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
keeverw

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
I've declined to purchase an M3, Although there were two keyboard one 61 key and one 88 key. Al though I loved to experience this keyboard I'll wait my next chance to get a Kronos cheaply in favor.

You'll be glad you did.

There is nothing significant an M3 can do that a Kronos can't do better.
But the Kronos can do a great many valuable things, that the M3 cannot.

Here are the things I wish the M3 had that the Kronos does, that would be a huge improvement for me.

Set-lists (which can contain programs and/or combis)
Smooth transitions between patches, and even between combis
Very detailed piano samples.
More FX slots all around for combis.
Bigger Screen which can show more info without tabbing around so much.

Not to mention all the other synth engines, which I honestly don't care about as much. The sounds of the M3 are not where it falls short in my opinion. It is more than adequate as a bread&butter synth/rompler.
But as a live performance instrument, which is what I use it for, it is missing some key ingredients that the Kronos has. I could even live with the inferior piano samples, if I had everything else on that list, and I wouldn't even want a Kronos.

But as someone who recently (December-2015) bought an M3, I am now kicking myself for not saving a little more and getting a Kronos. And I will undoubtedly upgrade to a Kronos as soon as funds permit.

I had done my research, but I guess what tipped the scales for me, and made me decide to get the M3, was a video I saw of a guy using a Karma trick/workaround to get smooth transitions between groups of timbres within a combi.
When I saw this I knew it wouldn't be as functional or easy to use as the Kronos', but it would at least be a viable alternative.

Well in theory that sounded great but in practice it's overrated.
The problem is you only have so many IFX, MFX and TFX. And if you have 4 groups of 4 timbres in a combi, and you are happily smoothly transitioning between them using Karma scenes, the problem is all 16 of those timbres have to share a very limited number of FX. And it's downright crippling.

You have an amazing sounding piano, the EX4 Stereo Grand (or whatever it's called), and it's not the best in the world, but it's a good and perfectly usable piano. IN PROGRAM MODE!!!!!!
But in program mode, it can make use of all of the FX slots for that one timbre, and when you start looking, it is using quite a few of them to get that polished sound.

When you import it into a combi with other sounds, you can't get the same sound anymore, because you have to start picking and choosing which FX you must have, because you are so limited by FX slots, and the piano is not the only timbre that needs those FX.
Then you have a great B3 program with a cool chorus and rotary simulation. And it needs almost all of the FX slots to sound the way it does.

So the moral of the story to me, is that the M3 has some really nice sounds in it, but they only sound their best in program mode where they can have as many FX as they need to shape the sound.

Since most of my combinations are combinations of 1 lead sound, and a warm pad. I bought another synth for pad duty (Korg Micro-X), and then let my M3 stay in program mode. I put a stereo volume pedal on it's output so I can make transitions between programs sound smoother, while sustaining a pad on the Micro-X, which is controlled by midi from the M3.

This is a nice workaround, but I still want a Kronos. Because then I could get all of this done with one board.

Sorry for rambling. Just trying to help others avoid being disappointed by not saving up a little more for a Kronos.

10 years ago, the M3 was amazing.
But romplers don't get better with age like analog synths do.

To clarify:
The Karma trick does actually work, and work really well.
But due to the limitations of FX it's not practical, for me.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: you had a choice or there were 2 units for the price? Reply with quote

iowagold wrote:
you had a choice of 2 systems or there were 2 units for the same price?

There were 2 units the 61 key for 1495Euro the 88 key for 1998 Euro's.

Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeverw wrote:
Mr_SamDoogie wrote:

You'll be glad you did.

There is nothing significant an M3 can do that a Kronos can't do better.
But the Kronos can do a great many valuable things, that the M3 cannot.

Here are the things I wish the M3 had that the Kronos does, that would be a huge improvement for me.

Set-lists (which can contain programs and/or combis)
Smooth transitions between patches, and even between combis
Very detailed piano samples.
More FX slots all around for combis.
Bigger Screen which can show more info without tabbing around so much.

Not to mention all the other synth engines, which I honestly don't care about as much. The sounds of the M3 are not where it falls short in my opinion. It is more than adequate as a bread&butter synth/rompler.
But as a live performance instrument, which is what I use it for, it is missing some key ingredients that the Kronos has. I could even live with the inferior piano samples, if I had everything else on that list, and I wouldn't even want a Kronos.

But as someone who recently (December-2015) bought an M3, I am now kicking myself for not saving a little more and getting a Kronos. And I will undoubtedly upgrade to a Kronos as soon as funds permit.

I had done my research, but I guess what tipped the scales for me, and made me decide to get the M3, was a video I saw of a guy using a Karma trick/workaround to get smooth transitions between groups of timbres within a combi.
When I saw this I knew it wouldn't be as functional or easy to use as the Kronos', but it would at least be a viable alternative.

Well in theory that sounded great but in practice it's overrated.
The problem is you only have so many IFX, MFX and TFX. And if you have 4 groups of 4 timbres in a combi, and you are happily smoothly transitioning between them using Karma scenes, the problem is all 16 of those timbres have to share a very limited number of FX. And it's downright crippling.

You have an amazing sounding piano, the EX4 Stereo Grand (or whatever it's called), and it's not the best in the world, but it's a good and perfectly usable piano. IN PROGRAM MODE!!!!!!
But in program mode, it can make use of all of the FX slots for that one timbre, and when you start looking, it is using quite a few of them to get that polished sound.

When you import it into a combi with other sounds, you can't get the same sound anymore, because you have to start picking and choosing which FX you must have, because you are so limited by FX slots, and the piano is not the only timbre that needs those FX.
Then you have a great B3 program with a cool chorus and rotary simulation. And it needs almost all of the FX slots to sound the way it does.

So the moral of the story to me, is that the M3 has some really nice sounds in it, but they only sound their best in program mode where they can have as many FX as they need to shape the sound.

Since most of my combinations are combinations of 1 lead sound, and a warm pad. I bought another synth for pad duty (Korg Micro-X), and then let my M3 stay in program mode. I put a stereo volume pedal on it's output so I can make transitions between programs sound smoother, while sustaining a pad on the Micro-X, which is controlled by midi from the M3.

This is a nice workaround, but I still want a Kronos. Because then I could get all of this done with one board.

Sorry for rambling. Just trying to help others avoid being disappointed by not saving up a little more for a Kronos.

10 years ago, the M3 was amazing.
But romplers don't get better with age like analog synths do.

To clarify:
The Karma trick does actually work, and work really well.
But due to the limitations of FX it's not practical, for me.

That some thoughtful insight although I hardly gig there are some things even I can't live without. That said the keyboard has some unique sounds '
even with karma the m3 sounds like that an M3 if the same was one Oasys you could here that the Oasys which I also like but the M3 its funky.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: