Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RMI electrapiano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGoodhines

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: RMI electrapiano Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how good the RMI emulation is in the sv-1? I'm thinking of replacing my RMI, it's heavy, noisy, needs a preamp etc. I'll be using this on a Genesis project; I already use a Kronos X, so..........
i_am_binky

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's what Tony Banks liked about the old RMI's and the fx he used
Quote:
..."I especially liked the Organ Mode, which is thick, but still has a bit of an edge.

"I would treat the RMI's sound to get the effect I wanted from it. This was before the days of modern synthesizers, so keyboard players had to squeeze the most out of every instrument. I often modified my early keyboards, and the RMI ended up with a Fender Blender fuzz box built in. I was able to control the amount of signal fed to the fuzz box, so I could create anything from a clean piano to a heavily driven sound. This was then passed through an MXR Phaser, and on through a Leslie cabinet. The Leslie was later replaced by a Boss Chorus unit, which was much more controllable and still gave a passable imitation of the Leslie sound I wanted.

"The major drawback of the RMI was its total lack of touch sensitivity. I found this very restricting, especially since any bum-notes are played at full volume, no matter how lightly you brush against them. The other limitation was the width of the keyboard itself -- 68 notes, as opposed to the 88 on a real piano."...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec01/articles/retrozone1201.asp

description of RMI patch from the SOS SV-1 review

Quote:
"The RMI multisample (ElectraPno) seems to be based on a mix of the Lute and Harpsi tabs of a 360, 368 or 368X Electrapiano with the Accentor and Organ Mode switched off. Its sustain is somewhat shorter than that of my RMI 368, and it lacks the heavy 'thunk' at the start of each note."

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct09/articles/korgsv1.htm

They don't mention the RMI Organ mode patch in Soundpack #1 which is the one you'll be most interested in. The ElecGrand is a good Yamaha CP70. The TapeStr/Choir Mellotron patch is good for Watcher/CrimsonKing sounds as the choir is on the RX layer so you can adjust its volume separately.

That said, the sounds available on the three SV-1 soundpacks are all there are; if a wider selection is needed, something like a Casio PX5S might be a better choice (dunno if they have rmi piano tho). Or there's Nord who have a large sound library for their piano, stage, and electro series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: