Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another OS 3.0.4 update error help request
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ Kronos

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Another OS 3.0.4 update error help request Reply with quote

Sorry to have to post another one of these requests but I need some help. I have read several past threads on this topic and have followed all of those suggestions.

1. Clean FAT32 formatted memory stick with only the 10 folder/files on it.
2. I was on v3.0.2. When v3.0.4 failed, I tried upgrading to v3.0.3 instead. It succeeded.
2. Have used this same stick in the past to successfully upgrade to v3.0.2 (and just used it to upgrade to 3.0.3, my current version.)
3. Have tried both USB ports.
4. Have tried waiting for prompt to insert stick, inserting it first, and even waiting until I've pressed "OK" and it starts searching to insert the stick. All return the same error.
5. Have tried downloading the update zip file from Korg again in case the first download was corrupted.
6. My error is slightly different from the ones in other posts. It reads:

"Searching for updater files" Then
"Update Error."
"The system update was not successful."

So in short: Upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 failed. Upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 succeeded with no issues. Upgrade from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4 fails.

This is a Kronos X 88.

The only thing I haven’t tried before posting is to do a factory install but I really would rather not if I can avoid it. Since purchase, I’ve applied the firmware upgrade 604 via USB and upgraded from OS v2.1 to 3.0.2 with the same memory stick.

Also, I might not be able to do a factory install because the unit was a demo and they didn’t have the discs. All I have is a download of the disks and I’m not even sure if they are the same files that I would have gotten with my Kronos X because so much time had passed between the date my keyboard was made and the date that I bought it and downloaded the files.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?
JoeyL

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, make sure the update is for kronos x and not the other board. Also I know a long time ago some had problems with their kronos not liking certain brands of usb sticks. You might try a different brand. Also unplug all midi. Oh, I just remembered, when I did this update, I had to reboot with usb stick left in the kronos before it would find the files.
DJ Kronos

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeyL wrote:
First, make sure the update is for kronos x and not the other board. Also I know a long time ago some had problems with their kronos not liking certain brands of usb sticks. You might try a different brand. Also unplug all midi. Oh, I just remembered, when I did this update, I had to reboot with usb stick left in the kronos before it would find the files.

Well, I got the download by first logging in on Korg and then going to the support page. I did not take v1.08 for the new K2.
V3.0.4 is supposed to be okay for the KX. Are there two versions of v3.0.4 out there?

I could go buy another stick but it just worked this afternoon when I successfully upgraded from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 so I'm not sure if that would matter. Is there a known issue where a some sticks would work okay with prior updates but not the latest one?

I should have mentioned before that all midi was unplugged.

I have never tried rebooting with the usb stick left inserted. I'll give it a try and post back.
DJ Kronos

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving the stick in during a power down and power up didn't help. The stick and all the files and folders are there in disk mode but I'm still getting the same error in global mode when I try to update.

I should add that it does read the stick every time when I press OK: the stick light flashes.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reformat the usb stick using the Kronos' own menu.

Check you usb port for dust - blow it out in case.

Check the usb stick for some dust / particle.

Only copy the files from the zip folder AND NOT the zip folder itself.
DJ Kronos

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions, but I've already done all that.

I usually try to do all of the things that I can think of and can find online before posting a request. The good side of that is that I don't pester the senior members with silly questions but the bad side is that usually the simple answers won't work because I've already tried them.

Before I go out and buy another stick, I'd like to re-ask my questions above:

1. Is there a known issue where a some sticks would work okay with prior updates but not the latest one?
(As I posted above, I was able to upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 with no issue yesterday and have used this stick in the past as well.)

2. Is there more than one version of v3.0.4 on the Korg site? Could I have gotten the wrong one?
(This doesn't seem likely but it's worth asking.)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Kronos wrote:
Ksynth wrote:

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions, but I've already done all that.

I usually try to do all of the things that I can think of and can find online before posting a request. The good side of that is that I don't pester the senior members with silly questions but the bad side is that usually the simple answers won't work because I've already tried them.

Before I go out and buy another stick, I'd like to re-ask my questions above:

1. Is there a known issue where a some sticks would work okay with prior updates but not the latest one?
(As I posted above, I was able to upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 with no issue yesterday and have used this stick in the past as well.)

2. Is there more than one version of v3.0.4 on the Korg site? Could I have gotten the wrong one?
(This doesn't seem likely but it's worth asking.)

you could d/l 3.04 again. Its not unusual to get an incomplete d/l.

and I always use a new USB. They are cheap.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought....

Is one of the update files named tar.gz still a compressed archive ?

If it is not…..it means it has been unzipped to far by the computer.
This can happen with some unzipping apps.
On an imac the built in app "unarchiver" needs to be at its basic setting......not sure about a pc.

I don't think a restore would help in this case....anyway,my understanding is that the downloaded files need to be burned onto double layer DVDs to work.

Best Wishes.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've never had any issues performing the update, but I certainly have seen the situation that Pedro mentioned where some unarchivers(particularly on Mac) will also unpack the actual update in the zip file. Make sure you have a file ending in .tar.gz on your USB stick as the absence of this file (because it's been decompressed) will cause it to fail.

If the zip file was able to be decompressed without error, it's unlikely that it's a corrupt download, but it wouldn't hurt to try downloading it again.

Perhaps you could post a list of the files and folders on the USB stick here so we can compare it against our copies?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
DJ Kronos

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

you could d/l 3.04 again. Its not unusual to get an incomplete d/l.

and I always use a new USB. They are cheap.

I did re-download

DJ Kronos on Sun May 29, 2016 3:03 pm wrote:

5. Have tried downloading the update zip file from Korg again in case the first download was corrupted.

I have gone ahead and ordered two different new flash drives just in case. It's going to take time for them to arrive because of the Memorial Day sale rush but I will try them when they arrive.

Even so, I'm dubious because this same drive has succeeded for two separate updates, including 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 the day I started this thread, as I've already mentioned.
DJ Kronos

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Personally, I've never had any issues performing the update, but I certainly have seen the situation that Pedro mentioned where some unarchivers(particularly on Mac) will also unpack the actual update in the zip file. Make sure you have a file ending in .tar.gz on your USB stick as the absence of this file (because it's been decompressed) will cause it to fail.

If the zip file was able to be decompressed without error, it's unlikely that it's a corrupt download, but it wouldn't hurt to try downloading it again.

Perhaps you could post a list of the files and folders on the USB stick here so we can compare it against our copies?

I'm on a PC running Win 7.
I never got around to installing Winzip so it's WinBlows version. It can't open the .gz file, even deliberately.

Here are the files and SIZES (in particular). Does this look right?

Code:
E:\>dir
 Volume in drive E is NEW VOLUME
 Volume Serial Number is 36EE-BB0C

Directory of E:\

05/29/2016  05:24 AM    <DIR>          Manuals
12/19/2015  04:28 PM    <DIR>          mnt
05/29/2016  05:24 AM            73,512 bc
05/29/2016  05:24 AM         1,004,089 DisplayUpdaterMessage
05/29/2016  05:24 AM               147 install.info
05/29/2016  05:24 AM            32,354 KRONOS_Update_3_0_4.csum
05/29/2016  05:24 AM       124,669,638 KRONOS_Update_3_0_4.tar.gz
05/29/2016  05:24 AM            28,252 md5sum
05/29/2016  05:24 AM             2,248 posttar.sh
05/29/2016  05:24 AM             1,619 pretar.sh
               8 File(s)    125,811,859 bytes
               2 Dir(s)   3,800,662,016 bytes free
DJ Kronos

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed something odd.

First, ignore the dates above as they are the modified dates and they correspond to the time I unpacked the zip file.

However, the Create dates for the 8 files of version 3.0.4 are all "12/7/15 5:50 PM"

I just looked at the 8 files for 3.0.3 and their dates are all "12/21/15 4:59 PM or 5:00 PM"

In other words, the 3.0.3 files were created and packed by Korg AFTER the 3.0.4 files were created and packed.

Do the create dates match what you guys have?
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Kronos wrote:
I've noticed something odd.

First, ignore the dates above as they are the modified dates and they correspond to the time I unpacked the zip file.

However, the Create dates for the 8 files of version 3.0.4 are all "12/7/15 5:50 PM"

I just looked at the 8 files for 3.0.3 and their dates are all "12/21/15 4:59 PM or 5:00 PM"

In other words, the 3.0.3 files were created and packed by Korg AFTER the 3.0.4 files were created and packed.

Do the create dates match what you guys have?

If I recall right there are nine files required on the usb stick.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not update to Windows 10?
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave off the Manuals folder from the usb stick

Try this and let us know how that goes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: