Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Kronos Tips & Tricks Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: The Kronos Tips & Tricks Thread Reply with quote

I am starting this thread for the purpose of collection of Tips and Tricks on Kronos.

All are welcome to share their tricks and tips, but would be better if we avoid unnecessary discussions in this thread.

General Tips and Tricks

1. Using the Drumtrack for Melody lines/patterns

1. In Sequencer record your line.
    2. Make it into a Pattern (RPPR > GetFromMidiTrack)
    3. Convert It Into a Drum Track Pattern (RPPR > Convert to drum track patt..))
    4. In your program or combi, go to drumtrack and select this pattern as source.
    5. Set the output to appropriate sound / channel, and sync settings accordingly.

2. Creating Drum Track / Patterns from Yamaha Arranger Style Files (Type 0)
    Yamaha arranger style (.sty, etc) files are mainly midi files with some extra CASM data (not of our use) appended to them. You load them just like as any other midi file and it should create a new sequencer song.
    1. You will Primarily be interested in the drum data which is on channel 10.
    2. Before starting the song use Menu> GM initialize.
    3. Solo the track 10 (drums) if you want to use kronos drumkits (instead of GM) you'd need to transpose by an octave as Korg Drums are GM +12
    4. After previewing take a Note of the start and end measures
      for the section you want to convert, for example bar 4 thru 8 = length of 4.
    5. In RPPR > Pattern Parameter (set it to same length).
    6. Now RPPR > Get from MIdi Track and enter the respective values to lift the seq off into a pattern
    7. You can now convert it into a drum track pattern RPPR > Convert to Drum ...
      or just use the RPPR functionality and lift off other sequences
      like intro,var1,var2 fill etc.
      Although you don't get auto accompaniment, Karma engine can be used do dial in some inspiration.
      There are tons of Free and Non Copyrighted Style files in public domain that you can use.

Here is a Big collection of midi files (from psr tutorials.com) I already converted into Arranger and Kronos Compatible Files)
      : https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkz0kbpmfa140f/Y2K%20Converted%20Styles%20for%20Korg%20Arrangers%20and%20Kronos.rar?dl=0

3. Using the Vector Envelope to Combine Two Different EXi programs. @(jackh)
    This works well with Motion, Rhythmic and SFX EXi programs, but you can combine EXi programs from any category.

1. Select 2 different single EXi programs, and choose one to start with.
    2. Copy the un selected program (using the Copy EXi Oscillator function in the pull down menu) to EXi 2.
    3. Enable Vector Control, and move the vector joystick left & right to listen to each program.
    4. Turn the Vector Envelope On, and select Time or Tempo, and a Loop Mode option.
    5. Alternate -127 and +127 values for the X Position Points (0-4).
    6. Adjust the Hold Time and Transition Times as to create a suitable pattern.

Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List

Last edited by amit on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:20 pm; edited 8 times in total
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound Design Tips & Tricks

1. Using Conditionals (IF .. THEN .. ELSE..)
    Use the AMS Mixer type Gate when you need to do something when an AMS parameter reaches a certain threshold.
    For Example,couple of days I wanted to program a patch (sitar) such that if I hit the note really hard the pitch should go up whole note and return to note.

1: I used the AMS: Velocity for the Ams Mixer Type: Gate
    2: Set it's value to around 99 for "at and above" of 90 (velocity of 90 - 127)
    3: OSC parameters, Set the Pitch EG to use AMSMixer1 and intensity to 2 (semitones).

This is useful when you are playing certain string based instruments like where excessive force would cause the string to go higher in pitch , or when you want to bring in some pitch nuances without using the stick.

2. Adding some Realism/Expressiveness to Sampled Reed instruments (Harmoniums/Pipes etc)
    Unless you have a Breath controller, here is trick that can add in some mojo to your samples.
    Modulate the attack with velocity

1: Set AMP EG Attack to a High Value for example 80
    2: At bottom of same screen Set Attack Time AMS to Velocity or exponentioanl velocity and set it's value to say -70 or -80

The Harder you hit the keys, the faster the attack.

Play with values for different types of instruments and your playing style.

3. How to Parallel Effect (IFX) Chains: for NY parallel compression or 80's Gated/plates snare (Phil Collins)

To achieve this you'd lose one Ifx slot.
    1: For the current IFX or sound set the Ctrl Bus (fx bus) to 1 or 2. This track with now output to the main bus as well as one of the Fx buses.
    2: on another ifx slot Use an effect that uses sidechain and has monitoring (gate/ compressor)
    3: Turn monitoring on, select the Ctl bus (fx1 or fx 2) as source and you should hear the same signal on this track.
    4: Route this IFX Slot to your required fx slots (a compressor and eq for NY style compression) or to plate reverb> followed by a gate. (set the side chain input of this gate to the original fx bus for better control)

** Tip within a Tip **
    If you need IFX slots,just sample out the gated snare to a program of it's own.

Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List

Last edited by amit on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productivity / Workflow Tips

1. Unable to Event Edit a New Track/Song?
    Use Menu > Insert Measure to insert Measures to track before event editing.
  2. Suddenly lose volume, or some other weird change to your sound? (© @ psionic311)
    Hit the COMPARE button to quickly revert to normal. Very useful when playing live.
  3. Backup Your Kronos Regularly
    Here is how I do it :
    Kronos Connected to my home network through Apple USB Ethernet Adapter (it's around $15-$20 ) just buy it and start using kronos through FTP. I use FTP backup program (scheduled every 8 hours) to copy my entire kronos Hard drive (incremental backup) to my external USB3 drive
    There are tons of softwares that can do this, I use the freeware Cobian Backup.

Last edited by amit on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:11 am; edited 3 times in total
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**** Karma and Karma Software Tricks *****

1. Making Karma play close to as Pre Programmed Pattern (arpeggio)
    UnCheck the NTT in Drum panel of GE Editor (Karma Software) and Karma will follow the played root note keeping the intervals intact.
  2. Using Karma to Switch Combi Layers (© @ Mike Conway)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OaglzcDoy0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx0OUOgihAs
  3. Using Karma to add embellishments when needed
    Use the dynamic midi to trigger note events only when needed.
    For example if you want to add trills/other note pattern to some pluck sound like santur/koto etc Here's How :
    1:Select the pattern Ge Pattern you want to use (say arp up)
    2: set its RT note range to lowest, and adjust it's other sliders to make it sound how you want it.
    3:In Karma> Triggers set note to DYN
    4:In Karma > Dynamic Midi Set Source to say Velocity bottom to whatever you want it to trigger at say 85, and set destination to trigger Notes and Envs.
    Now Enable Karma ,Play away and fine tune.

Last edited by amit on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
coyote144
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, nice to share!
jackh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: The Kronos Tips & Tricks Thread Reply with quote

Using the Vector Envelope to Combine Two Different EXi programs.
This works well with Motion, Rhythmic and SFX EXi programs, but you can combine EXi programs from any category.
1. Select 2 different single EXi programs, and choose one to start with.
2. Copy the un selected program (using the Copy EXi Oscillator function in the pull down menu) to EXi 2.
3. Enable Vector Control, and move the vector joystick left & right to listen to each program.
4. Turn the Vector Envelope On, and select Time or Tempo, and a Loop Mode option.
5. Alternate -127 and +127 values for the X Position Points (0-4).
6. Adjust the Hold Time and Transition Times as to create a suitable pattern.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Kronos Tips & Tricks Thread Reply with quote

amit wrote:
I am starting this thread for the purpose of collection of Tips and Tricks on Kronos.

All are welcome to share their tricks and tips, but would be better if we avoid unnecessary discussions in this thread and ask politely the poster to delete and post their discussion as a new topic.

1. Using the Drumtrack for Melody lines/patterns

1. In Sequencer record your line.
    2. Make it into a Pattern (RPPR > GetFromMidiTrack)
    3. Convert It Into a Drum Track Pattern (RPPR > Convert to drum track patt..))
    4. In your program or combi, go to drumtrack and select this pattern as source.
    5. Set the output to appropriate sound / channel, and sync settings accordingly.

The word ' melody ' caught my eye.

I am laying down tracks for various pop/rock songs using the sequencer.

My Karma drum tracks are mostly static. I can change up the drum feel by
going to different scenes. But this does not give me the structure for a popular Beatles tune , for example, where the drums vary in the song.

And I certainly don't want to try to ' play the keys ' on an existing drum program.

So I am not clear on your context. Would your approach improve the drum parts on popular songs ? I avoid the jam along Drum Track because it does not sync up with my Karma parts ( strums, bass pattern). And Drum Track is static, on or off.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Karma Engine is never going to work for your use case as that is by design more or less an improvization engine and not at all suitable for covers.

Ideally you should use an Arranger Keyboard or Arranger software (android/ipad) for performing covers as they need a very specific structure and pattern That is where the arranger keyboards are good at .

Having said that, you can also achieve the same to a certain degree using RPPR patterns.

For drums I would create different patterns for into, verse, chorus, bridge etc and use the sequencer mode and trigger them manually (with rppr sync to beat or measure).

There are also other tricks too (i.e using ipad as a controller with midi designer app sending drum pattern change messages or any other messages to kronos) like I did a proof of concept video in this thread:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=101589&highlight=
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:

1)The Karma Engine is never going to work for your use case as that is by design more or less an improvization engine and not at all suitable for covers.

2) Ideally you should use an Arranger Keyboard or Arranger software (android/ipad) for performing covers as they need a very specific structure and pattern That is where the arranger keyboards are good at .

Having said that, you can also achieve the same to a certain degree using RPPR patterns.

3)For drums I would create different patterns for into, verse, chorus, bridge etc and use the sequencer mode and trigger them manually (with rppr sync to beat or measure).

4)There are also other tricks too (i.e using ipad as a controller with midi designer app sending drum pattern change messages or any other messages to kronos) like I did a proof of concept video in this thread:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=101589&highlight=

1) yes, I agree. Karma is a workaround.

2) I would not get an arranger.

3) I like that approach. It sounds like a I would designate a specific keys for RPPR changes

4) I would like to integrate my iPad with my Kronos 88. I am also concerned about many hours of learning curve. Do I need to be SYSEX/HEX guru ?
Another concern, is taking my hands off the keyboard to push buttons. Using foot/switch pedals would be ideal
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while you should be able to figure out RPPR on your own.

let's discuss

for 2) You can get arranger apps, like the midi band app for $2 and that you can import yamaha styles or create your own

and importantly
Quote:

4) I would like to integrate my iPad with my Kronos 88. I am also concerned about many hours of learning curve. Do I need to be SYSEX/HEX guru ?
Another concern, is taking my hands off the keyboard to push buttons. Using foot/switch pedals would be ideal

There is a little but of a learning curve on the midi Designer so you can use the app to create your own control surface for the song, however having said that, I should be able to send you my config /layout that you can use as a guide.

You don't need to be a sysex/hex guru, but you should be able to convert numbers to HEX (or use system calculator).
Also you can use the Kronos editor software to take a note of the sysex messages, copy and be done.

yes you can use the footswitches as trigger even another midi controller. (Use a usb hub on ipad for kronos and midi controller, using controller as input and kronos as the output device.)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
while you should be able to figure out RPPR on your own.

let's discuss

for 2) You can get arranger apps, like the midi band app for $2 and that you can import yamaha styles or create your own

and importantly
Quote:

There is a little but of a learning curve on the midi Designer so you can use the app to create your own control surface for the song, however having said that, I should be able to send you my config /layout that you can use as a guide.

You don't need to be a sysex/hex guru, but you should be able to convert numbers to HEX (or use system calculator).
Also you can use the Kronos editor software to take a note of the sysex messages, copy and be done.

yes you can use the footswitches as trigger even another midi controller. (Use a usb hub on ipad for kronos and midi controller, using controller as input and kronos as the output device.)

thank you for the very good info.

Will take 1 step at a time, will start with RPPR.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: COMPARE button Reply with quote

Suddenly lose volume, or some other weird change to your sound?

Hit the COMPARE button to quickly revert to normal. Very useful when playing live. Cool
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Added.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+Addition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: