Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a great 2nd tier board for use with the Kronos? Try thi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Need a great 2nd tier board for use with the Kronos? Try thi Reply with quote

I had posed a question on the Krome threads and on the index page as well, asking for input on a new 2ND tier board for gigs. I was considering the Krome and the Roland FA-06 and had just about decided on the Roland when this happened today at Sweetwater Gearfest.

I went into left field after being totally blown away by a board I had not even considered. The Casio MZ-X500 61-key Arranger. Oh my goodness what a neat great sounding unit this is. The sounds are pretty high class, the touch screen is wonderful, and the amount of customization of the sounds is extensive. Almost Kronos light in its touch screen UI.

The built in speakers are LOUD! And sound great. They can be turned off if needed. But what really pushed me over the edge was a once in a lifetime event. I spent over 2 hours being schooled on this board by Rich Formadoni, and then by Jordan Rudess( yes THE Jordan Rudess) who I had met just a few minutes before watching him demo the Roli Seaboard Rise 4G, and also by one of my keyboard heros Mr Larry Dunn ( the keyboard wizard of Earth Wind And Fire). I had these famous super great players showing me what could be done with this board. One on one!! It was a dream come true as a player. Everyone needs to check this keyboard out. And view it as a super synth that just happens to throw in an Arranger.[/img]
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait what? Jordan Rudess is using the Casio? Wow.
I know he uses one of the Casio to practice with but I didn't know he was into the arranger.
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I know he uses one of the Casio to practice with but I didn't know he was into the arranger.

He said he has several Casio boards and has been impressed by them. But the new arranger was not one he has used. He came over as I was noodling on it and asked if I was familiar with it. Then he proceeded to show me what he liked about Casio synths. The filters and sounds. The stuff he ring from it in his first contact with the machine was astounding. And lead me toward owning it.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drb32856 wrote:
aron wrote:

He said he has several Casio boards and has been impressed by them. But the new arranger was not one he has used. He came over as I was noodling on it and asked if I was familiar with it. Then he proceeded to show me what he liked about Casio synths. The filters and sounds. The stuff he ring from it in his first contact with the machine was astounding. And lead me toward owning it.

Dude please say you made a video of this envious moment that happened.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Casio include a stereo line in? (Or even a mono line in?)

That would make pickup rehearsals much easier to pack for, assuming the volume of the Casio is decent.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, usually all Casio have stereo line in.
I ran my VL1 through the line in of my PX-5S, worked well.
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
drb32856 wrote:
aron wrote:

Dude please say you made a video of this envious moment that happened.
Ha! I was so awestruck by what was happening I failed to get a video. All I could get was a picture! Epic fail!!!!
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pulled the trigger on a MZ-X500 myself today. It will join my Kronos 2 on the 2nd tier.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
Just pulled the trigger on a MZ-X500 myself today. It will join my Kronos 2 on the 2nd tier.

I have been really impressed by the Casio, but like any new technology, it has a learning curve. Not to steep but Casio doesn't follow the "Korg" way so I have found the members of the Casio Facebook group invaluable to helping me get my head around things. Just like I continue to lean on the guys and gals of this forum to help with the Kronos. You will have fun with this baby I'm sure. Congratulations! Very Happy

Last edited by drb32856 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drb32856 wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:

I have been really impressed by the Casio, but like any new technology, it has a learning curve. Not to steep but Casio doesn't follow the "Korg" way so I have found the members of the Casio Facebook group invaluable to helping me get my head around things. Just like I continue to lean on the guys and gals of this forum to help with the Kronos. You will have fun with this baby I'm sure. Congratulations! Very Happy

What kind of tunes are you going to play with the arranger ?
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
drb32856 wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:

I use the Casio as my top tier board in my live rig. My band plays covers from the early 60s, thru today. The "arranger" part of the board will not get used then, but the pads have come in handy. I have found the arranger to be great for my own writing and experiments. Also our sax player and I are planning to work up some duo gigs using the arranger to cover some parts.

The Casio grand pianos seem to cut through well, and the EPs are pretty good. The main use of the board for me was as a backup to the Kronos, and some extra colors for some of the stuff we do. As I said the arranger was a bonus.

Last edited by drb32856 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drb32856 wrote:
GregC wrote:
drb32856 wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:

I use the Casio as my top tier board in my live rig. My band plays covers from the early 60s, thru today. The "arranger" part of the board will not get used then, but the pads have come in handy. I have found the arranger to be great for my own writing and experiments. Also our sax player and I are planning to work up some duo gigs using the arranger to cover some parts.

The Casio grand pianos seem to cut through well, and the EPs are pretty good. The main use of the board for me was as a backup to the Kronos, and some extra colors for some of the stuff we do. As I said the arranger was a bonus.

since you gig, it makes sense to have a 2nd board, something basic in case the Kronos locks up.

The Kronos is a song writers best friend, IMO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: