Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS-20 Mini sequencer software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidneyft98

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: MS-20 Mini sequencer software Reply with quote

Hello! I was given an MS20 mini for my birthday today and i noticed it has a USB port at the back. I was wondering if there was any way in which i could download a software onto my laptop that i could then link to the synth that would act as a step sequencer? I have Ableton live but I can't seem to find anything on there that would do that.

Thanks,
Sidney
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Happy birthday! Smile
You should download the USB driver for your MS20 from the Korg site and install it. From then on, your computer will see your MS20 as a MIDI device.

After that, a high level explanation:
Set up Ableton: select the MIDI interface of the MS20 as MIDI in and record a MIDI track by playing some notes on the MS20.
After that, edit the track as you want. Choose the MS20 as destination of the MIDI track and play it back in Ableton. It will send the notes to your MS20 over USB.

Not sure that Ableton as such has sequencer functionality in the sense of a step sequencer. Sure it can sequence things. Wink
Unfortunately I can not recommend a software step sequencer using MIDI.

Note also that the MIDI implementation of MS20 mini is limited. Meaning, it only sends and receives MIDI note data. No way to automate anything of the knobs. But hey, that is the fun part of this beast. Real knobs, one per function, to tweak while the sequence is playing...

Have fun.
sidneyft98

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! That was a really helpful explanation. Look forward to doing that. Cheers Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: