Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

action felt splitting coming unglued

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazztao

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: action felt splitting coming unglued Reply with quote

Has anyone else had this problem?
I've had my SV1 88 for about four years. Last year, the G above middle 'C' started clicking at the end of key travel when struck with full velocity. After a few more gigs it would click at anything above mezzo piano velocity. I kept meaning to check it out, but before I had the chance the key broke altogether. (as it turned out, one of the small tabs on the back of the key snapped off).
I attempted to cannibalize the high G, but broke that one trying to move it into the middle register. (the loose tension springs are a bitch to hold in place!!!)

Anyway, I replaced the key and added some felt at the back rail where it looked like there was contact, thinking that was the problem. Put her back together... still clicking! So, I took it apart again and discovered that the 2 ply felt/foam pad on the stop-rail that the metal hammer strikes had come off, but only under that specific key.
Now, this is more than a little strange because it is a single strip of felt/foam that runs the length of the action. But, I glued a piece of felt there, and was good to go.

6 months or so, the F and F# above mid C began clicking. Not a big deal, as now I knew why AND knew I didn't actually have to take the action out of the keyboard to put new felt in there.
On tour this summer, the G# and A above mid C started and then last week the D above mid C... So, I go to fix it today, and I see that the strip is starting to come loose as a whole - not just where there's visible wear, which has been the case to this point - half an octave below middle C is loose.

My question - finally! - is: Can anyone recommend a good glue for this repair (reglueing the existing strip)?? I've been using PVC-E glue and it has worked ok for the traditional piano felt, but the existing strip is some kind of synthetic and it doesn't seem to want to hold.
Like many others I LOVE the sound of my SV1, but the action is the bane of my existence!

Also: has KORG done anything to revamp their actions since I bought mine in 2011?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: