Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys VS Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Oasys VS Kronos Reply with quote

Does anybody think the Oasys still sounds more clearer than the Kronos, I own both and playing with both keyboards with headsets the Oasys to me sounds more uncompressed and cleaner than the Kronos even on the same exact sounds. They both have there pros and cons but soundwise i think Oasys still on top even without all the extra sound engines.
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oasys VS Kronos Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
Does anybody think the Oasys still sounds more clearer than the Kronos, I own both and playing with both keyboards with headsets the Oasys to me sounds more uncompressed and cleaner than the Kronos even on the same exact sounds. They both have there pros and cons but soundwise i think Oasys still on top even without all the extra sound engines.

I have both and have transferred my samples/programs/combis from Oasys to Kronos 2 and can't tell the difference.
methusala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Oasys VS Kronos Reply with quote

Geoff.

Could you spare a moment describing how you managed the transfer? If it's painless, I'm off to the shops for a K2.

Patrick
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oasys VS Kronos Reply with quote

methusala wrote:
Geoff.

Could you spare a moment describing how you managed the transfer? If it's painless, I'm off to the shops for a K2.

Patrick

Sorry, haven't got a clue how it was done.

I tried myself (unsuccessfully) and then called Korg UK Support for help. I spoke to the very helpful Saulo, who kindly talked me through the process step by step. It took about a 15-20 minutes phone call (although I am maxed out on samples so could possibly be quicker).

It's still not clear to me how to do it even after the transfer and I would need to speak to Saulo again if I had to repeat the process.

Good luck.
jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure it will transfer pcg files but the DX7 sysex files are the only ones i can do. But there are sounds that have the same names and sound the same in both boards. I think maybe the O has better effects possibly not sure.
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
Im not sure it will transfer pcg files but the DX7 sysex files are the only ones i can do. But there are sounds that have the same names and sound the same in both boards. I think maybe the O has better effects possibly not sure.

With Korg UK Support help, I transferred everything from my Oasys to Kronos 2 as I basically needed another Oasys with the same samples / programs / combis / sequences.

Kronos 2 has more effects and more onboard sounds / sound engines than Oasys. But I still prefer my Oasys.

76 key synth action keybed, big tiltable screen and pads has a lot to do with it.

Last edited by Geoff Flynn on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote

With Korg UK Support help, I transferred everything from my Oasys to Kronos 2 as I basically needed another Oasys with the same samples / programs / combis / sequences.

Kronos 2 has more effects and more onboard sounds / sound engines than Oasys. But I still prefer my Oasys.

76 key synth action keyed, big tiltable screen and pads has a lot to do with it.[/quote]

The synth action of the 76 is a plus for me as well. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Oasys VS Kronos Reply with quote

methusala wrote:

Kronos opens up OASYS program and sample files just fine. If you open an OASYS PCG file, all the programs, combis, etc. will appear on the Kronos, just like it does on the OASYS. Of course, loading all PCG banks would overwrite the K2 banks, but you could reload those from the FACTORY folder. (You can import a program or bank at a time.)

The way I work with projects is that I save the PCG file with the Song file. When I load my songs, the programs are correct. An example of OASYS to Kronos, here:

jbeliz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is nice to know i will have to try for myself thanks for the the video demo, could you you open up Kronos PCG on the Oasys as well? I am sure i will get around to trying it soon.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
could you you open up Kronos PCG on the Oasys as well?

Unfortunately no. Basically, the Kronos has all the functions of the OASYS, but not the other way around. Kronos programs have dual drum programs, more layers/cross-splits, per program drum tracks, and a lot more samples that the OASYS can't reference.

That said, the OASYS bests Kronos with its screen, interface (more LEDs and visual feedback), inputs/outputs. It really helped having an OASYS before getting the Kronos. Much easier to learn on. If you know your way around an OASYS, the Kronos will be fairly easy for you to naviagate.

Once you get the Kronos, you'll appreciate all the new EXs sounds it has. Multiple sample libraries can also be loaded at once. I have several OASYS libraries (Including many by KARO) and they all work on the Kronos.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos' screen, although physically smaller than that on the Oasys, has higher resolution (800x600) vs the Oasys (640x480).

Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Kronos' screen, although physically smaller than that on the Oasys, has higher resolution (800x600) vs the Oasys (640x480).

Shame the screen is fixed and we can't adjust the contrast to see better from different angles.

One thing I really like about Kronos main and effects screens is that you can see the channel output levels. Wish Oasys had that.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
One thing I really like about Kronos main and effects screens is that you can see the channel output levels. Wish Oasys had that.

Yes, those are really cool! It's kind of give and take, where the O has more LEDs, but the Kronos has on screen meters. You can also shut the meters off (In Global), so you can get more polyphony. Generally (except for CX-3 and PolySix), the Kronos has less poly than the O. For example: HD-1 on the O is 172 voices. On Kronos, it is 140.

Anyway, I love the Kronos. As I said, more sounds, especially the Kronos 2 set. In general, I use the O as a controller (though I do run S/P DIF out to the K) and the Kronos generates most of my sounds. This setup allows me to tilt the Kronos, so that the screen is optimal.

The last project I scored used several sample sets, including KARO Unison Orchestra, KARO Symphonic Library, a custom set of Yamaha/E-MU samples, a custom set of Virus TI samples, Bluezone Metal library, and Bluezone Scary Ambiences. All that, while also running EXs1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9. That's because SSD streaming to RAM allows for huge sample data flow.

On the OASYS, I had to uninstal EXs2 and combine portions of KUO and KSL to make those fit. On the Kronos, no such sacrifices - just stream entire libraries and you're off! KSL "disk size" is 841 megs, but using virtual memory streaming, it only uses 120 megs of RAM. My Metal/Scary bank is 418 megs, but uses just 13 megs, streaming to RAM. Incredible.

OASYS is easier to work with, but Kronos can take you further.
jbeliz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried loading Oasys PCG files on the Kronos the other day and it really worked put all the parameters in place which was really cool. This will save lots of time editing sounds to transfer since i still use the O more than Kronos.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
voip wrote:

Shame the screen is fixed and we can't adjust the contrast to see better from different angles.

To be honest that is something I don't miss since I sold my Oasys and now have the Kronos 2,I thought I would miss the larger screen but because of the resolution on the K2's screen it really doesn't matter that the screen is smaller,plus i was always worried incase the hinges on the Oasys screen got damaged or worn and unable to tilt up or support itself on its natural hinge

The Oasys was always my bottom tier synth because of how large it was,it made tilting the Screen impractical when I gigged with it,and because of the depth of the case meant(think it was around 18 inches of so) you couldnt have it pulled forward as it would make the keyboard stand unstable so being pushed back meant the top tier synth was always blocking the view of the top half of the screen even when it was laid flat,using Kronos with a smaller fixed screen makes it less of a hassle and because it's a smaller foot print synth the screen is in full view even on the bottom tier of the Keyboard stand.

One thing I do miss on the Oasys was the physical pads under the screen,Ok the Kronos still has the pad functions but it would be better if it had it's own set of Pads rather than virtual ones on the screen or relying on an extra external controller via USB to access them in the same way as physical pads on the Oasys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: