Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triggering the pads with an external controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Triggering the pads with an external controller Reply with quote

I asked this question a few months ago but...

Can the 8 pressure sensitive pads on the Oasys be activated by an external controller? On asking some tech guys they seemed to think it might be possible to use a midi controller [one with pads of course I guess??!!].

Has anyone heard of such a thing? I guess it would mean getting into the oasys internal software and remapping the signals.

It would be nice to know as I am sure as the Oasys gets older this will happen more and more.

Thanks
Ross
attitudeadjust

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Oasys Pads / External Midi Controller Reply with quote

I have the same problem ... internal pads are wearing out right?

1) You can buy the entire pad assembly. It's not too difficult to replace. The problem is finding one. I have a brand new one, but I wanted to save it and see if I could find an alternative as sometimes I need more than 8 pads.

2) You can get a pad controller such as the Korg NanoPad2. I am in the process of configuring this to work with the Oasys, IM me if you want details, but I'm still in "experimentation" mode.

In a nut shell, you have to interface a computer between the two. Nanopad2 sends data over USB to computer. Computer has a program on it to receive pad control data. Computer program then sends out to a USB to Midi connection to Oasys. There are theoretically 2 options here:
1) the received pad data contains up to 4 note on/off messages (Nano2 only has 4 notes per pad button) which are wrapped within the computer program. This option is on hold for my experimentation.
2) the received pad data by the program sends out note or control data to the Oasys.

I'm still working on the details, but prototyping has worked. I'm able to send data from the Computer/program over USB to MIDI to Oasys. This data is then routed to trigger the chords programmed within the Pads.

Note that connecting the NanoPad2 to the USB port on the Oasys will not work; the USB is strictly a storage device.

Note that connecting the NanoPad2 to a USB to MIDI converter cable will not work; a Driver is needed for the conversion of USB to Midi.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use a USB to MIDI host device. Something like:

https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/

The Korg nanoPAD2 is class compliant, so should work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: