Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RCM History Texts Available

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcoulter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: RCM History Texts Available Reply with quote

The Royal Conservatory of Music had a major adjustment to their Theory curriculum and assessments. All the books through Level 8 (what used to be called Advanced Rudiments) were updated and available. However, those for level nine and higher were not available.

Until now. Partially.

The history texts are now available. With luck, I'll be passing the level nine history examination this May. Hopefully by that time, the level nine theory (harmony) text will be available.

Level 9 - http://bookstore.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/books/celebrate-theory-history-9.html
An overview and introduction to:
• the materials of music
• the Baroque Era (Vivaldi, Bach, Handel)
• the Classical Era (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven)
• the Romantic Era (Schubert, Chopin, Berlioz, Bizet)
• the Modern Era (Debussy, Stravinsky, Bernstein, Louie, Adams)

Level 10 - http://bookstore.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/books/celebrate-theory-history-10.html
Detailed exploration of genres and styles including:
• the Middle Ages (chant, organum, motet, chanson, instrumental dance music)
• the Renaissance Era (motet, mass, madrigal, chanson, keyboard music)
• the Baroque Era (opera, cantata, concerto grosso, orchestral suite, keyboard music)
• the Classical Era (symphony, oratorio, opera, piano concerto, sonata, chamber music)

ARCT - http://bookstore.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/books/celebrate-theory-arct-history.html
Detailed study of 19th-, 20th-, and 21st-century music including:
• the Romantic Era (Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Brahms, Liszt, Verdi, Wagner, Tchaikovsky)
• the Modern Era (Mahler, Ravel, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Bartok, Prokofiev, Messiaen, Ligeti, Copland, Coulthard, Cage, Reich, Schafer)
• Independent Study Essay Topics (Musical Theater, Jazz, or Technology in Music)

I contacted the RCM about the lack of discussion about their Associate Diploma (ARCT) in Composition and/or Theory. I had thought that they had made changes to it. Perhaps dropping the requirements to only the three ARCT exams. It appears I was wrong. They haven't made any changes to that program (yet), so it appears the old requirements from the 2008 syllabus still apply. That's twelve more examinations, and then a research paper (for theory) and/or three compositions (for composition). Unless they make changes and publish them separately. For me, that's over two years in the future if I push, so I'm not all that concerned at the present time.

At any rate, the reason I'm posting this is for anyone else who's interested in the more academic side of music. Perhaps I won't be the only person taking the tests.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: