Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KP3+ as external send into DAW...waste of money?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttamelbon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: KP3+ as external send into DAW...waste of money? Reply with quote

I will have to apologize in advance. I searched for this topic, but I refuse to believe the answers I saw. How could it be so prohibitive?

Here's my situation: I almost pulled the trigger on a KP3+. My gear:

Laptop (Windows)
UR22 (two inputs, L/R outs)
DAW (Cubase Artist 9)
Possibly a KP3+

I'm looking to route it so that a track from my DAW goes into the KP3+ and is manipulated via the KP3+, and is sent back to the DAW to be somehow recorded (onto a new track maybe?). I would like to be able to monitor the sound made by the KP3+ in real time via my KRKs out the back of my UR22 interface.

However, I've read about feedback loops and how there is no way to remedy this. I've seen El-p (a hip-hop producer) do what I'm hoping to do in a video (he hasn't returned my emails lol). I want to stuff my money into Korg's pocket, but I don't want to buy a decorative box that won't do what I need: strictly studio usage, strictly into a DAW.

I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I simply couldn't believe my eyes. Is it true? Is there really nothing I can do here?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know where you've read about feedback loops. It can indeed be a real issue...

But that should not refrain you from buying a KP3+ IMHO.
The rootcause of the feedback loop will not be in the KP3+, but in the combination of your DAW and audio interface... You would encounter it with any external effects unit.

Looking at the UR22, I think that will be the limiting factor.
If I understand it well, you want the following chain:
DAW -> UR22 -> KP3+ -> UR22 -> DAW (for recording) and KRK monitors
This shows that the UR22 needs at least 2 outputs, which it hasn't... Except if mono is really an option for you, but still... it will all boil down how flexible the UR22 is.

Have fun.
ttamelbon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Also, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that feedback loops are a problem inherent in kaoss pads. It's just that I don't have any experience with other external efx.

I'm wondering if I could pick your brain about this. Because the UR22 only has two outs, would a small mixer with more outs allow me to hear the KP3's efx in real time? Is there any way I could use the headphone jack on the UR22 to feed into the KP3+ via 1/8" to RCA?

If you were in my shoes, what would be the cheapest and most efficient way of using a Kaoss Pad as an external effect for my DAW?

Thank you very much for your time!

Matt
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not familiar all with the UR22... E.g. you could use the headphone jack to feed the KP3+, but I've no idea whether in your daw you can see the headphone as a separate output or not. Most likely, not. It is going to be same signal as the one on the main outputs... And you want separate outs. One to feed the KP3+ with the dry signal and one feeding your KRK with the effects applied.

The difficulty is that you want the signal back in the DAW for recording...
A small mixer could be an option, but preferrable one with support for an effects loop and has at least 2 stereo outputs (back to DAW and to the monitors).
Or you could look for splitter cables to route the output of the KP3+ to both your monitors and the UR22 immediatlely. Although I'm not a fan of audio splitter cables.

Bye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: