Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa600 direct connect to softstep2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickmostly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Pa600 direct connect to softstep2? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the Softstep 2 can be hooked directly to the Pa600 via USB cable using the "USB Over Midi" option?
Thanx Much
tacman7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so.

Give it a try surely.

But the functionality of a USB port is determined by what the manufacturer had intended to use it for. They threw a USB port on lot of products and never got around to doing anything with it at all.

So it's whatever they implement.

The USB on the PA600 can be a disk to your computer or it can be a midi port, not both at the same time. It's not programmed to but be the computer and create midi over usb, but they could implement that someday maybe.

This is my thinking, check it out for yourself.

But why use usb doesn't the soft step have legacy midi ports?

Just use those?
tacman7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw, they don't put a port on it!

Damn, the worlds gone USB crazy!

Give me good old midi ports.

Maybe they come up with something but I think you would have to have a laptop sitting there converting it. It also needs a lot of settings that takes a computer to do probably.
nickmostly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Midi controller vs computer control ? Reply with quote

Thanx Tacman7 !!
I dont know what the legacy midi port is (traditional?) and the softstep has only a usb port. I wouldnt be using both the softstep and a computer at the same port, and if I did choose to use a computer performing I suspect it could all be run from it in cubase (as you mentioned) or maybe another midi manager using the usb port. I haven't looked at them yet, this has all taken me into a new field of midi that I'm just starting to figure out, thanx to y'alls help : )
I messed with ableton for a while looking for live looping and the variations possibilities by chopping my perfomance tracks into pieces, but then the PA600 came along, the first with Performance oriented sequencing (to cool!!)
The thing that bothers me about using Cubase is having that darn E-licenser sticking out, it got broke once playing live and shut me down. I've been hoping steinberg would come up with something more trim (maybe there's something already)
I used to use my laptop and Cubase for all my performances recording all my own accompaniment (before that I used a 4 track tascam) I liked to be able to tweek stuff on the fly.
But after a few disasters that cost me sum $ and bookings, I simplified by mixng down all my accompaniments and put all on android tablets that double as music readers.(I have three tablets, all performance programmed for back-up, I've become a little computer-phobic for live use)
Didn't mean to make a disertation here, but I found if I tell the whole story in forums it helps solve probs for everyone.
Thanx much again!!
nickmostly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: softstep Reply with quote

Tacman, guess you posted while I was writting : ) yup, have to usea computer to program it, but not to use it. thanx!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: