Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Weighted" or "Un-weighted" ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: "Weighted" or "Un-weighted" ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I dont know if this subject is a "taboo question" or considered an "unholly discussion", but that is the situation I'm facing at present time.

(I may even have asked a similar question a few months back...)

In a few weeks I'm finally gonna have the funds to finance the purchase of a Kronos-2.

I'm 45 years old and ready to start a dream of mind; learning to play the keyboard/piano.

I've been reading a lot the last 18 months about the Oasys and the Kronos and that is the machine that I want to acquire.

But the infamous question of the "weighted" vs "un-weighted" keybed still bugs me.

What do you consider a better compromise ?

- Playing the piano on an "un-weighted" keyboard

or

- Playing synth instrument on a "weighted" keyboard

Thing I've already considered;
- Price difference between the 61 and 88 keys is big but I dont want to limit my choice based on that
- Size and weight of the keyboard not really an issue because I wont be moving it frequently
- I think I'd like to have more keys for splits/combis...

Music preferences;
- Jean-Michel Jarre / Tangerine Dream / Enigma
- Classic Rock / Heavy Metal
- Classical / Soundtrack

I've also read numerous times people going for a 61 keys un-weighted and adding an external midi controller weighted keyboard. I find this idea interesting but I wonder if it would not be overkill in my case. I would definetely prefer to have a single keyboard.

What do you guys think ?
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: "Weighted" or "Un-weighted" ? Reply with quote

ajean wrote:

I've also read numerous times people going for a 61 keys un-weighted and adding an external midi controller weighted keyboard. I find this idea interesting but I wonder if it would not be overkill in my case. I would definetely prefer to have a single keyboard.

What do you guys think ?

Having an extra controller for the Kronos is definitely not overkill - You'd be surprised how useful having another unweighted keyboard attached to the Kronos is. Not only do you have the option of Piano or Synth action, it also opens up amazing possibilities when the Kronos is in Combi Mode, especially when you split both keyboards - It's like having several synths under your fingers Wink
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A popular setup is a Kronos 61 on top and the Casio PX-5S on bottom. I run that configuration now and then and it is great!
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Oasys 76 synth action first. Had there been an option for 73 note synth action Kronos I would have bought one, but settled for Kronos 2 61 note.

Personally, I play more synth/string/organ/choir etc sounds than piano. So I would rather play piano on a synth action keybed than synth etc sounds on a weighted keybed.

If I had to give up one, it would be the Kronos (as much as I love it), purely down to the number of keys.
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
krossuser4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very simple question.. If you dreaming finger progress as piano player or you have piano Gigs.. then weighted, other situation fast playing..and synth weight - unweighted.
chini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Piano weighted keys vs organ type keys Reply with quote

First off, if you are serious about learning to play keyboards, training your fingers and muscles in your wrists to a point where you become a competent keyboard player, a proper piano weighted keyboard like the Kronos 88 has makes sense. After all, to control the inherent dynamics of the piano sound itself, it is much easier and much more natural to accomplish this on piano weighted keys. The deliberately slower way a piano-weighted key travels as you strike it not only gives you the authenticity and pleasure of playing an acoustic piano but also trains the muscle memory in your fingers in the right way that can then be used to play organ ("unweighted") type keys that much more efficiently.

Conversely any sounds you wish to trigger with extremely fast transients like aggressive organs, drums and bass lines definitely benefit from being played on the much faster action of an unweighted keyboard as the travel of the key is much faster than a piano weighted design particularly the unweighted key's springy rerelease. Try playing a fast drum fill on an unweighted keyboard and then try doing the same on an piano weighted one and you will see how much easier it is to roll the drums on the unweighted keyboard!

There are keybed designs that fall in-between the 2 styles (semi-weighted) but I personally have always found them gimmicky and somewhat futile because falling in between piano weighted and unweighted they don't cater fully for either type of sounds.

As far as keyboard set ups in general are concerned, as others have mentioned here, it is usual to have a piano weighted keyboard as ones main playing keyboard and a shorter organ type key sitting above it.

My live rig is the same though my second keyboard is an old Roland A-50 76 key unweighted 4 zone master controller keyboard. I have a lot of other external synths, effects and things to control in my rig but I often use the A-50 to trigger extra sounds organised in a combi or song patch on the Kronos.

I always use my Kronos 88 for playing piano, rhodes, wurlizer and clavinova etc often with pads being triggered underneath. Guitar type sounds also lend themselves well to a piano weighted key. As I make full use of all the Kronos 88 keys for all kinds of triggering having a second keyboard is essential to enable me to perform the often complex sound pallets I need for my repertoire. But whatever sounds I program for a particular patch I always have the traditional piano type sounds assigned to the piano weighted keys of my Kronos. Having been brought up playing on an acoustic piano I actually loath playing these traditional instruments from an organ type keyboard. If I am on a session without my own rig and I am forced to play a piano on an organ type keyboard it just doesn't feel right and it actually takes my confidence away! There are some great keyboard players out there who are extremely proficient at playing a piano on an unweighted keyboard but I can assure you given the choice they would much prefer the pleasure of playing on a piano weighted keyboard!

Here's a video I shot last summer for TC-Helicon where you can see how I have things set up...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNQyDL3w6Q

Always be true to yourself

Last edited by chini on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the answers are good because they already play for some time and have some skills

In your case, you are a beginning student. You should concentrate on your study plan. Are you going to start out on piano ? Or organ ?

I believe in the classic method or traditional start. If piano is your preference, than get the instrument that matches

Think about getting a good start on learning to play. Keep it simple.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to learn to play traditional classical music, like Beethoven or Bach piano solos, then you should get a weighted keyboard. You could get the 88 key Kronos, but you could save a bit of money by getting the 76 key instead.

Learning at least the basics of classical music will also be a foundation for metal music and classic rock. The old school electronic music you listed like Jarre and Enigma will also benefit from learning piano. If you were just going to play newer electronic music, you might not even need to learn classical because modern music is based more off of beats and loops and putting block or patterns together than it is on melodies and music theory.

Getting a 76 key should also give you a good bit of room for combis and splits. Later down the road, if you're making good progress, you can always add an unweighted or semi-weighted 61 key MIDI controller for more space to make combis, as you will need lighter feeling keys to play organ-based stuff like some classic rock stuff.

Your dream of playing music on a keyboard is just beginning... have patience for the basics and make sure you form new habits of practicing almost every day (even if only 10 or 20 min to review the previous stuff you learned. But most of all, enjoy! A little bit of perseverance at the beginning will reward you with a lifetime of pleasure and purpose of making music.
chini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
If you want to learn to play traditional classical music, like Beethoven or Bach piano solos, then you should get a weighted keyboard. You could get the 88 key Kronos, but you could save a bit of money by getting the 76 key instead.

Learning at least the basics of classical music will also be a foundation for metal music and classic rock. The old school electronic music you listed like Jarre and Enigma will also benefit from learning piano. If you were just going to play newer electronic music, you might not even need to learn classical because modern music is based more off of beats and loops and putting block or patterns together than it is on melodies and music theory.

Getting a 76 key should also give you a good bit of room for combis and splits. Later down the road, if you're making good progress, you can always add an unweighted or semi-weighted 61 key MIDI controller for more space to make combis, as you will need lighter feeling keys to play organ-based stuff like some classic rock stuff.

Your dream of playing music on a keyboard is just beginning... have patience for the basics and make sure you form new habits of practicing almost every day (even if only 10 or 20 min to review the previous stuff you learned. But most of all, enjoy! A little bit of perseverance at the beginning will reward you with a lifetime of pleasure and purpose of making music.

Sound advice! (no pun intended!) Angel

Always be true to yourself
fcoulter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Piano weighted keys vs organ type keys Reply with quote

chini wrote:
First off, if you are serious about learning to play keyboards, training your fingers and muscles in your wrists to a point where you become a competent keyboard player, a proper piano weighted keyboard like the Kronos 88 has makes sense. After all, to control the inherent dynamics of the piano sound itself, it is much easier and much more natural to accomplish this on piano weighted keys. The deliberately slower way a piano-weighted key travels as you strike it not only gives you the authenticity and pleasure of playing an acoustic piano but also trains the muscle memory in your fingers in the right way that can then be used to play organ ("unweighted") type keys that much more efficiently.

Ditto.

I bought my Kronos 2 88 first, and then added a second keyboard with unweighted keys on top of it. I grew up with a Steinway grand piano in the house (for a while there were two of them), so piano has always been my default for keyboards. However, some stuff works better unweighted.

Different keyboards just feel different. Playing a variety keeps you flexible. My clavichord has an incredibly light touch, plus the ability to bend individual pitches. With my harpsichord (currently in Miami so I don't get to play it much) you can feel when the quill engages the strings, which is very different than the piano style weighted, the synth style unweighted, or the very light clavichord action. And my wife doesn't know this yet, but at some point I'll be getting an AGO spec organ. (Gotta learn what to do with my feet.)

So IF you're serious about playing piano, you need to get a weighted 88 note keyboard.

Now for the bad news. That sucker's heavy. Just be aware of it.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need both weighted and unweighted. I opted for the Kronos 61 and a weighted controller. I bought a used Yamaha P-80 with the Graded Hammer Effect action that I like. It was so cheap I bought a second. I keep one at home and leave the other at Church. This way, I only have to move the lighter K61 back and forth. I also thought there would be the scenario where I would play something quick and easy so I can bring just the K61.

I tried playing piano on unweighted actions (Triton pro) but found I couldn't control the dynamics well at all. You need weighted for good dynamic control. The idea of buying the K88 and using an unweighted second controller is good however in my case, I would have to drag the heavier 88 note board around more.

I haven't play the Casio PX-5S but my brother just got one and loves it. Barely over 20 lbs. Plus, compared to a controller, it has it's own sounds. I have thought of picking one of these up so having the sounds could be a benefit as a backup if there was ever a problem with the K61.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a weighted keyboard. I really like the RH3 action on my new K2 88. Very quick response, very good for classical répertoire as well, even though of course different from a real grand (I have both, so it's easy for me to compare).

Also, I personally have no problems playing very fast synths or Hammond stuff on it, but I've been playing for 40 years (including tributes to ELP bands, etc.).

The only drawback about the RH3 action is its mono aftertouch, very hard to trigger, but this is common to many keyboards and controllers nowadays. When I need perfect mono and poly aftertouch response, I play the K2 using my Kurzweil MIDIboard.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned both organ and synth stuff on all weighted keyboards. Every keyboard I've ever owned (except an old SY-35) have been weighted boards - I'd personally recommend that since I find if you learn on weighted and go to non-weighted, it's an easier transition than the opposite, or so I've heard from SOME people who learned on non-weighted boards.
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference has always been unweighted. When I play a weighted keyboard, my wrists begin to become sore quicker. I also never found them to be equal to the action of an actual piano.

Mind you, I am a completely untrained keyboard player. I taught high school choir for a few years with my rudimentary keyboard skills but made it work.

However, when playing any keyboard instrument, I will always prefer unweighted.
Arizona Sage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. I have a KronosX88 with the weighted keys. I have been learning Hammond parts on it and have been able to muddle through but wonder if songs like Foreplay/Long Time and similar would be easier to play on a 61 or 73 key unweighted board.

Any suggestions as to what would be a good unweighted 61 key compliment that I could use to accomplish this? Looking for something that could take advantage of the Kronos vast organ and synth sounds. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to hooking up a second keyboard and the term "controller" flies right over my head.

Kronos X88 OS 3.04
Mainstage/Omnisphere/Keyscape/Korg VST/M- Audio/Keylab controllers
Kemper Stage
PRS/Charvel/Jackson/Gretsch/Gibson guitars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: