Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Weighted" or "Un-weighted" ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I never understood why you would bring a 73 rather than an 88 to a gig. The board is still weighted, still heavy, you still have to lug it to and from the car and preferably have a friend help you or use a cart. Twice five minutes of being very slightly more uncomfortable, next to, say 3 hours of playing and having the extra keys.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
ajean wrote:
I'll try to find a store that has both the 61 and the 73/88 keys to try to get a feeling... But this might not be possible around here in Quebec/Canada. Most music stores here do not stock those kind of instrument, so there only available on special order.

One would think you'd find a good store in Montreal. I'll ask around.

From a friend on FaceBook:

There are quite a few chain music stores in Montreal. For the best synth knowledgeable people, Moog Audio is probably the best/most consistent. They also carry a lot of boutique synth stuff, too. Next is Steve's Music, considered the pro musician's choice, as you (at least used to) frequently see well known Montreal and international visiting musicians in there looking at instruments. Very knowledgeable sales people. Following that, is Long & McQuade. Knowledge varies greatly...same with stock. Call first! The final major chain store is Archambault. They have a bunch of stores in Montreal, but are very snobbish, so if you don't speak French, you will have a hard time getting good service there. I wouldn't recommend them...but if you are just looking...might be OK.

Moog Audio
3828 St-Laurent
Montreal, Qc
H2W 1X6
tel: 514-284-7434
fax: 514-284-6159
toll free: 1-877-284-7434

Steve's Music
51 St-Antoine St. W
Montreal, Quebec
H2Z 1G9
Tel: 514-878-2216

Long & McQuade
9 Rue Lajeunesse
Montreal, Quebec, H2M 1S1
(514) 388-9259

Archambault
http://www.archambault.ca

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
To be honest I never understood why you would bring a 73 rather than an 88 to a gig. The board is still weighted, still heavy, you still have to lug it to and from the car and preferably have a friend help you or use a cart. Twice five minutes of being very slightly more uncomfortable, next to, say 3 hours of playing and having the extra keys.

That's a good point, Sander, but to me, those extra 6 lbs. / 7" make the 88 a LOT more difficult to load and move...and the extra length makes it harder to fit into the car and onto the bandstand, too (even the 73 is hard to fit sometimes)...it's a lot of extra effort for a few keys that I hardly ever use and don't miss...anyway, I have the best of both worlds: an 88 permanently set up in the music room and a 73 in the closet packed and ready to go (only one setup/teardown per gig really makes a difference!), but I understand that most people can't do that...I'd say get a 73 if you're going to move it often, unless the music you play really requires the high and low keys - serious classical things, complex prog rock splits, Art Tatum solo jazz piano, Jerry Lee Lewis pounding, etc...

df
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
As a full time pianist and teacher I would strongly recommend getting an actual piano if you want to learn piano.

Period.

Thank you, I agree 100%.
ajean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all,

Thank you all for your opinions! Very wide range ways of thinking here! Which is very nice!

I finally ordered today a 73 keys (weighted) Kronos 2.

I should take possession of it in 2 to 3 weeks! Can't wait!

As many have mentionned about getting a secondary (in my case non-weighted) keyboard, what brand/model would you recommend ?

I'm thinking of a simple non-weighted midi controller here.

Again, thank you for all your help!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajean wrote:
Hi to all,

Thank you all for your opinions! Very wide range ways of thinking here! Which is very nice!

I finally ordered today a 73 keys (weighted) Kronos 2.

I should take possession of it in 2 to 3 weeks! Can't wait!

As many have mentionned about getting a secondary (in my case non-weighted) keyboard, what brand/model would you recommend ?

I'm thinking of a simple non-weighted midi controller here.

Again, thank you for all your help!

why do you feel you ' need ' a non weighed controller ?

I would think a Kronos 73 and practicing on that would occupy a lot of time
ajean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GregC,

I dont really feel a "need", and I should had pointed out that I do not intend to get one "now", but I'm just curious and I would like to know what price point would a good quality secondary midi controller be about.

For exemple, talking about midi controllers, I was thinking about getting a Korg nanaPAD2 but I'm wondering how much usefull it is...

From what I've read and seen (on Youtube), it was "included" in the OASYS, but Korg took it out from the Kronos and sells it seperately... Why ? To make more money or simply because it wasn't used very much ?

Back to the secondary keyboard... I also have a young son which he's pretty much interested in music. He has started playing guitar about a year ago and is also interested in keyboards. I was thinking that maybe we could play together, thru the Kronos, but each which is own keyboard.

So that the idea behind my question/request for a secondary keyboard...

Thank you for replying!
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajean wrote:
Hi GregC,

I dont really feel a "need", and I should had pointed out that I do not intend to get one "now", but I'm just curious and I would like to know what price point would a good quality secondary midi controller be about.

For exemple, talking about midi controllers, I was thinking about getting a Korg nanaPAD2 but I'm wondering how much usefull it is...

From what I've read and seen (on Youtube), it was "included" in the OASYS, but Korg took it out from the Kronos and sells it seperately... Why ? To make more money or simply because it wasn't used very much ?

Back to the secondary keyboard... I also have a young son which he's pretty much interested in music. He has started playing guitar about a year ago and is also interested in keyboards. I was thinking that maybe we could play together, thru the Kronos, but each which is own keyboard.

Thank you for replying!

Midi works well with the Kronos, where you can have a combi with a few midi channels assigned and then the remote board can control those channels. I can definitely see the benefit of it. Live, I use two Korg Kronos's, the 88 key on the bottom and 73 on top.

As far as the NanoPad - I have one and they're great. The Oasys was deeper and vastly more expensive... I honestly very much preferred the look and layout of the Oasys, especially the rotating faders with the LEDs and slanted screen.

Anyway, that all being said, there doesn't seem to be the space on the Kronos, and it's also about 4000$ cheaper... So some features had to go to make it more affordable. I'm simply guessing the LEDs, large screen, built in pads, and more were removed to save money.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajean wrote:
Hi GregC,

1)For exemple, talking about midi controllers, I was thinking about getting a Korg nanaPAD2 but I'm wondering how much usefull it is...

1)From what I've read and seen (on Youtube), it was "included" in the OASYS, but Korg took it out from the Kronos and sells it seperately... Why ? To make more money or simply because it wasn't used very much ?

2)Back to the secondary keyboard... I also have a young son which he's pretty much interested in music. He has started playing guitar about a year ago and is also interested in keyboards. I was thinking that maybe we could play together, thru the Kronos, but each which is own keyboard.

Thank you for replying!

2) that makes sense and is practical.

1) The nano pad 2 is a low cost USB item for the Kronos- it is a great ' chord ' creator and instantly opens up numerous song possibilities and does a great job bringing programs and combis to life.

the ' chord pad ' already exist on the kronos. you can see it as a ' tab; and access the many chords with a stylus. The nano pad is useful in that you have chords instantly available without fumbling thru sub-menus.

The removal of the physical touch pads from the Kronos may have been a cost saving step.

Then again, not all of us have $8000 for an Oasys . fortunately , a $3000 Kronos is within reach. another $50 for the nano pad is a small consideration.

Last edited by GregC on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

//
ajean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
//

I take it that you are referring to your signature... Smile

Understood! Smile

Thanks!
ColMC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Kronos 2 weighted hammer action keyboard. Reply with quote

I'm 62 and semi-retired now so I treated myself to a Kronos 2 88 note version.

I've been playing since I was a kid and my hands are no longer what they once were. Even so I can't help believing that the fully weighted hammer action keys are heavier to play on for any length of time than any piano or synth I've come across.

I now have my 61 note Triton Extreme set underneath it and MIDI linked so I can play most of the notes I want to play in relative comfort. It sometimes gets a bit challenging when I want to go lower or higher during free play and have launch one of my hands up or down to the other keyboard but I suppose organists have always been faced with the same challenge.

The reason I'm posting this is to suggest that a semi-weighted version of the 88 and 73 note Kronos 2+ keyboards would be most welcome to players of my age, and quite a few younger than me too I wouldn't doubt.

I also wanted to post my solution to the problem such as it is to help others who enjoy playing but who have to stop in pain within half an hour of striking up on this otherwise superb instrument.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in luck Korg has the Kronos LS 88 and 73 that has semi-weighted keys and is much lighter also that is being released soon next month I think and cheaper also. That maybe what you are looking for because of your situation.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:
You are in luck Korg has the Kronos LS 88 and 73 that has semi-weighted keys and is much lighter also that is being released soon next month I think and cheaper also. That maybe what you are looking for because of your situation.

Haven't heard anything about an LS 73. Although that would be awesome.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right I called my friend and they only have the LS 88 that is being released. Guess things could change who knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: