Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't know if it's something you'd be interested in at all because it'd add a little cost and minor hassle, but I think you could replace the DVD drive in that Macbook with a hard drive or SSD, if you like. I haven't had an internal DVD drive for years and don't miss it at all. I do have an external one lying around in case I absolutely need to burn a cd or load something from a DVD. Has happened maybe ten times in six years.

1) "I keep my OS on a smaller SSD (256GB at the moment) and have a larger one (500GB, looking to upgrade to 1TB) for samples and content from soft synths."

I actually also have a regular 750GB HDD in there for my project files and other data and general backups of downloads and the like.

Not at all necessary right away but maybe worth considering.

1) I like this. I also have an external USB DVD drive sitting around. I am getting use to apples use of the cloud for storage/archival , getting at iTunes, etc.etc.

I have been thinking that I might need to have the MBP 'super drive ' to use for an OSX startup disk. For when I install the 525 GB SSD.

Obviously I have not done this before and need to think it thru, google the steps.

The apple super drives are prone to failure. Once done with the SSD, I guess I could locate the cable going to the Super drive and move that to the old SATA , if possible. I really don't know the insides of the MBP.

Its a solid idea to have/keep OS X and Safari on the smaller SATA
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have about the right idea, I think. You can move the SATA cable. You will also need a hard disk caddy which is basically something that sits in the superdrive tray and holds your hard disk in place. But you should definitely google specifics. I seem to recall that one of the two SATA connections is "better" than the other (maybe SATA 300 vs 600?) so you may actually want to swap disk locations after installing the OS and removing the superdrive. Sorry for the vague info, one of my friends did this and mentioned something like that.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MacBook pro with the two core i7, it isn't what you would call fast!

I did replace the internal drive with a ssd ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RQA6E20/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) which made a huge difference.

For general laptop type duties it is fine, for running music software not so good.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
I have a MacBook pro with the two core i7, it isn't what you would call fast!

I did replace the internal drive with a ssd ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RQA6E20/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) which made a huge difference.

For general laptop type duties it is fine, for running music software not so good.

my I7 is 2.7 ghz. Hopefully when I upgrade to 16GB and a 500GB SSD, this will cover Omnisphere/Keyscape. I have written to Spectrasonics tech support to confirm this is enough. I will be over their minimum requirements
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
You have about the right idea, I think. You can move the SATA cable. You will also need a hard disk caddy which is basically something that sits in the superdrive tray and holds your hard disk in place. But you should definitely google specifics. I seem to recall that one of the two SATA connections is "better"

1)than the other (maybe SATA 300 vs 600?) so you may actually want to swap disk locations after installing the OS and removing the superdrive. Sorry for the vague info, one of my friends did this and mentioned something like that.

1) This is another good tip. I now have the 2011 MBP 13". I spent a few hours on the phone with Apple support, to get it wiped clean , the OS X reinstalled, fuss with P/w's blah blah blah. Apples 2 step authentication is squarely on older OS X, such as 10.7 ( Lion) which is what this MBP has.

I also found an authorized Apple tech 1 town away, to do the upgrade. Ordered
the 16 MB ram upgrade kit, brackets, enclosures, cable ( etc) and a SamSung 500 GB SSD. My out of pocket is $500 for the upgrade. Keep in mind I got the MBP free. apple stuff is just expensive. and I can't cut corners with cheap memory or cheap SSD.

If I had to buy an old MBP on eBay ( Hurl) or crags list ( barf) I would have bagged the entire idea as not worth it.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a worthy investment. The SSD will keep value even after the laptop becomes obsolete. I just hope it's powerful enough for what you're planning to use it for, but it seems it will at least do a bit better than minimum specs.
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't know if it's been said earlier in the thread but I changed my 500GB hard drive in my laptop for a 500GB SSD. Reloaded the operating system and the thing just flies along. From pressing the on button to being ready to use it takes literally seconds.
Sorry for not being techie, but I never believed changing hard drives could make so much difference. For the record, the laptop is an IBM thinkpad with an i5 processor and 16GB ram.
Chris

p.s. The laptop is purely for music application (I got Ravenscroft 275 which I keep on it).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Sounds like a worthy investment. The SSD will keep value even after the laptop becomes obsolete. I just hope it's powerful enough for what you're planning to use it for, but it seems it will at least do a bit better than minimum specs.

That is part of the crap shoot on upgrading an old machine
But I could not handle $2000 on a new MBP

I will order the Spectrsonics stuff in a week and know better in a few weeks.

I am in the slow lane on buying stuff. I know these VI's are addicting. I will likely change my mind, but I don't plan to anything else for year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: