Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relic 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Virus has no problem sounding 100% analog the entire way through the signal path if that's what your after. Check out this short demo for example.

It's a new bank of sounds just been released that have a strong “Netflix Stranger Things” 80's vibe.

A short demo, but the developer will be uploading more examples of this bank over the next few days. I'll probably buy it too for my Virus Ti2.

Regards
Sharp.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I do like the sound of the relic can the virus do that as well?

No, it can't do it with the same amount of conviction. Virus has very band-limited oscillators to prevent aliasing (yet aliasing can still happen later in the chain), which is why it's often attributed to the raw oscillator sound sounding "dark". Relic has no band-limiting because it's analog, so there's more girth to the sound - simply because there are more harmonics to deal with. Virus can probably go halfways there, but in the end, it's digital through and through, and better VAs have been made since Virus TI2 debuted, so those older DSP algorithms definitely show (IMHO Kronos sounds quite cleaner than Virus in VA department, less aliasing, healthier and beefier oscillator sound because it's a better algorithm than the one used in the Virus).
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Bertotti wrote:

No, it can't do it with the same amount of conviction. Virus has very band-limited oscillators to prevent aliasing (yet aliasing can still happen later in the chain), which is why it's often attributed to the raw oscillator sound sounding "dark". Relic has no band-limiting because it's analog, so there's more girth to the sound - simply because there are more harmonics to deal with. Virus can probably go halfways there, but in the end, it's digital through and through, and better VAs have been made since Virus TI2 debuted, so those older DSP algorithms definitely show (IMHO Kronos sounds quite cleaner than Virus in VA department, less aliasing, healthier and beefier oscillator sound because it's a better algorithm than the one used in the Virus).

It's quite a jump to reach that conclusion about the Relic at this stage. Nobody has even actually tested one to see what it's actually able to do, or if there is any truth in what descriptions we have heard about it's filters. For all we know, it's signal path maybe flat and dull in many areas.

We simply don't know.

We haven't even heard a proper demo as the unit on display at Namm had only 3 factory sounds programmed into it. The developer himself said so.

As for the Virus, I simply don't agree and I don't experience any of the issues you mentioned. It's a really great synth, one of the very few VA's that has balls.

Actually, there's an interesting video of Jean Michel Jarre on YouTube. He uses a Virus Ti2 to replace some Analog synths for many of his iconic sounds, and a Virus Polar for his LaserHarp.

I see a Nord Lead in there too.

Regards
Sharp.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Bertotti wrote:

No, it can't do it with the same amount of conviction. Virus has very band-limited oscillators to prevent aliasing (yet aliasing can still happen later in the chain), which is why it's often attributed to the raw oscillator sound sounding "dark".

That was true for the original 'classic' oscillators...

The Hypersaw oscillator, however, is a newer, different algorithm and was designed to be alias free, as was the sine waveform in the newer Wavetables, et al. You can use one hypersaw instance (with just one saw enabled) in a direct replacement of the original classic saw, or use the wavetable sine instead of the classic sine wave, et al. The hypersaw is considerably cleaner and brighter in the high end than the classic saw oscillator. Try running them (classic saw vs. hypersaw [1 saw]) through an FFT analyser and compare, the difference is clear to see (and hear).

Users must also be aware that Analog Boost (in the Effects section) intensity is also always set to 40 by default, this includes the INIT and START patches. This rounds the sound and makes it a little darker, producing something similar to the sawtooth waveform of a Moog. Remove this Analog Boost and you get pure, unadorned, bright, surgically digital oscillator waveforms:-

Classic Virus Saw ^

Classic Virus Square (50:50 pulse) ^

Classic Virus Triangle (PCM wave #2) ^

Last edited by Timo on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
It's quite a jump to reach that conclusion about the Relic at this stage. Nobody has even actually tested one to see what it's actually able to do, or if there is any truth in what descriptions we have heard about it's filters. For all we know, it's signal path maybe flat and dull in many areas.

We simply don't know.

The guy is doing 1:1 replica of OB-X using exactly the same components and discrete circuitry as Oberheim in the 80s did. It does not sound flat and dull in any areas, and currently available demos pretty much prove it. It's not a synth-on-a-chip by using the likes of SSM or CEM circuitry, it's sheer power of discrete analog circuitry. So easy to hear that, too.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The guy is doing 1:1 replica of OB-X using exactly the same components and discrete circuitry as Oberheim in the 80s did.

Even so, what difference does it really make. For example, here's a VST going head to head with a real Oberheim. The difference between the two is so slight that at times I simply can't tell which is which, and other times they are so close that it simply doesn't matter which is which.

Quote:
It does not sound flat and dull in any areas, and currently available demos pretty much prove it.

I'd need a lot more than hearing 3 factory sounds for a few seconds to make up my mind.

Regards
Sharp.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, not following the availability of the components used in a relic, just how sustainable it will be. Are components being used that are hard to source, creating maintenance issues in the near future? That would be a concern for me.

Thanks for the Links Sharp I go back and forth on the TI sometimes I like What I hear sometimes not as with all gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: