Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muse research quits the receptor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Muse research quits the receptor Reply with quote

Looks like anothe bright idea that didnt make it in the end..

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/96/muse-receptor-more

To bad, as i allways tought this was a great idea... but with products like mainstage and gigperformer... but also hardware like NI komplete and akai advance there was no room for these VST modules left..
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They screwed it up with the necessity that plugins need to be "receptorized".
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
They screwed it up with the necessity that plugins need to be "receptorized".

Yep they did.... But thats because the whole OS was Linux based...
SteelBreeze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We are currently working with several companies on a license or outright acquisition of our IP.

Now, Korg, your move Razz
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one. Kronos is also Linux based, if they wanted to have the next version support third party VSTs that'd be a killer move.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Good one. Kronos is also Linux based, if they wanted to have the next version support third party VSTs that'd be a killer move.

And then sell the adapted VST's in a kind of online appstore....

To be honest, the Kronos needs a better processor, 64 bit OS and more memmory for that....

Having an option like this would definately make it an Oasys 2...
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame! I had their original Receptor Pro and I used to use it a lot with my mobile gear back in the days when laptops just couldn't run East West libraries. It's still hooked up to an old windows XP workstation. All midi and audio would travel over an Ethernet cable, so that was really nice. I could no longer use it with newer version of ProTools, because they didn't release an AAX format for their interface.

Yes, it was a pain in the butt to have to send them the actual hardware so they could load certain plug ins...No wonder they're going extinct!

aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think the writing was on the wall when my friend Dan Timis passed away. He was the "brains" behind much of the Receptor. RIP Dan.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron, sorry to hear you lost a friend.

I'm only sharing my personal experience with them. In general this was a very difficult company to deal with if not impossible at times. Not exactly a customer friendly type of business... .

Example: They offered an educational discount for the hardware. Usually it's a straight forward process with any company that I've dealt with, but not with Muse Research.They wouldn't even tell me what this discount would do to the price!!! I was like why can't you just tell me how much money I'd be saving? If it's just a few $ , I would just buy it at the regular price, but... . So almost 2 weeks later, they finally look at my credentials and believe it or not, I could get it way cheaper from their own authorized online dealer without even using the educational deal that they were offering through direct sales!!! So weird! The hardware itself worked just fine so I was a happy customer in that respect.

MoonMusic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got their last flagship model the quattro a few years ago...I had them configure it so it didn't need the external presonus rack to keep it a single unit system....I also had them install Komplete 9 Ultimate, Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX and IK multimedia stuff....Just figuring out how to authorize everything took me a full evening....Not very intuitive...I do like how it works storing 16 channels of presets for instant recall at the push of a button and the quad core runs Omnisphere like a champ.... I do really wish these companies wouldn't kill all the supported documents and years of forum information just because they went out of business....A lot of usefull info is no longer available at the blink of an eye....I also have an Open Labs Mikko Timbaland edition and the only thing you can access on their web page pertains to their Stagelight DAW....That's my biggest gripe....I suppose I could look to see if they have a yahoo group like all my other old keyboards that aren't in business anymore, Ensoniq, etc...moon
DAW - Protools 9 - HD3 Accel
Plugs - All Spectrasonics,Steve Slate Drums 4.0,Slate Trigger,NI Komplete 9 Ultimate,Korg Legacy,Melodyne 3,Evo Autotune,HD3 Pack,Liquid Mix, Eleven, Ample Sound Guitars
Mics - Audio Technica 4033sm, Apogee mic, several Shure SM-57s, 2- Beta 52, 2- AT 3031, 2- Samson CO2
Other - V-Drums, DW Drums, Zildjian A Customs, Muse Research Qu4ttro, Open Labs Miko Timbaland Edition
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I don't know what happened. Not sure if you guys knew but Chris Halaby and Dan Timis of Opcode started Muse. I think at some point Chris left and not sure what happened after that. I know another friend of mine was trying to help but something must have gone wrong.

Very sad. Another company gone. I never even got to play one.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't mind a laptop on stage (and tune it for performance) then products like Cantabile hosting my plethora of soft synths are the way for me.

I guess the arguments for Receptor were for a tuned and trusted box designed for a purpose (as opposed to a general laptop/OS), but I have had few issues with Cantabile since using it, and I know pros who use it now and they have very few "hardware synths".

So maybe the market for Receptor like boxes has dried up? I looked at the pricing for one once and decided against it.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, if I may ask, did you check out Forte as well? Why did you choose Cantabile specifically? When I tried Forte I was underwhelmed by the lack of smooth sound transitions and that it sometimes took perhaps a second to switch sounds (keeping Kontakt instruments loaded). To be honest I also found the "Scene" thing a bit hazy so I may have been doing something wrong. I've use MainStage 3 in the past and got along fine with that. Any advice?
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to use MainStage. Just got everything together for that. Rain is another matter here.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Ah, if I may ask, did you check out Forte as well? Why did you choose Cantabile specifically? When I tried Forte I was underwhelmed by the lack of smooth sound transitions and that it sometimes took perhaps a second to switch sounds (keeping Kontakt instruments loaded). To be honest I also found the "Scene" thing a bit hazy so I may have been doing something wrong. I've use MainStage 3 in the past and got along fine with that. Any advice?

I'll be honest, I have not checked out anything other than Cantabile. I tried it as a solution for playing backing tracks in 2008, along with running NI B4II and it did the job. It also replaced my A4000 sampler at the time for sound effects!

At the time I purchased Cantabile, I was not worried about Smooth Sound Transitions as my Novation Remote61 MIDI controller allowed you to change a patch and it would not send note off commands when you changed a patch until you released the notes. So I had Smooth Sound Transition on anything in my gig rig (Nord G2, FS1r, A4000, Motif Rack ES, and anything in Cantabile) so long as it was played from the Novation, and of course I swapped to a different unit as a sound source. Neat, but the Kronos is better of course.

I think Cantable 3 now supports smooth sound switching depending on how you set up song states, but I have not tried it.

I am using song states in backing track to switch in additional tracks (e.g. SAX when we do not have a live sax player) and switching song states in that context is seamless, so no reason why it would not work for VSTs.

I have not yet setup Cantabile 3 to play my soft synths, that is a job for the next few weeks once I get my current gigs out of the way.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: