Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos carying case (HC-KRONOS2 xx)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajean

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos carying case (HC-KRONOS2 xx) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Any of you have the Korg hard case for the Kronos 2 in either the 73 or 88 keys version ?

I would like to know the dimensions of the cases and their weigth.

(And if you know them, the total weight of the case with the Kronos inside)

I don't intend on gigging much, but I'd like to be able to carry it around in my car/truck.

Thanks!
jimiki

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos carying case (HC-KRONOS2 xx) Reply with quote

ajean wrote:
Hi all,

Any of you have the Korg hard case for the Kronos 2 in either the 73 or 88 keys version ?

I would like to know the dimensions of the cases and their weigth.

(And if you know them, the total weight of the case with the Kronos inside)

I don't intend on gigging much, but I'd like to be able to carry it around in my car/truck.

Thanks!

73 is equivalent to Gator's GK76 KB size

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/111279-2470/gtsa-key76d
ajean

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I should have made my question more generic (and less specific)...

Do you transport your 73 ou 88 keys Kronos around with you ?

Looking at the specs, I guess that it's not quite a "carry under the arm" kind of keyboard...

What kind of case do you use ? And what is the total weigth of the keyboard with case ?

Do you move it around by yourself or do you need some help to move it around and set it up ?

(The more I'm studying the question of getting myself a Kronos, the more I lean on the 88 keys (futur proof), but it look like a monster... size and weigth could be a limiting factor...)

Thanks!
Mersip

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the 88 key but size and weight were significant drawbacks (even though the shop offered me the 88 at the same price as the 63). I do move mine around about every 2 weeks, and while I can do it on my own, when there are steps involved it definitely pays to have an extra pair of hands.

I have the Korg case for the 73 key Kronos2. It is 1400cm in length. It holds the keyboard snugly. For carrying it by yourself, there is a handle in the middle and it's well balanced, or you can pull it on the castors with the handle that is on the end. It would really benefit from having another handle at the other end (where the wheels are) for when 2 of you are carrying it.

And the reason is that the 73-key weighs 31.5kg when it's in the case.

Hope this helps

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a case from Sweetwater based on their "customers also bought these..." suggestions. Big mistake. The thing was huge and heavy, and worst of all the Kronos did not fit into it! Height and width were way more than needed, but there was insufficient vertical space for Kronos' taller than average 6" height so the lid wouldn't close.

Cost me $93 to ship it back to Sweetwater. I won't be buying any more large items that way.

So I did some extensive shopping. I found that there is a case specifically for the Kronos 2, but it is currently unavailable in North America. Had my local music retailer looking, too, but the best he came up with was aforementioned Gator GK76, which was too bulky and too heavy.

The reason I went with the 73-key version to replace its 88-key predecessor was its lighter weight and smaller size, so I was reluctant to get an oversize case that weighed half as much as the instrument itself.

My ultimate solution was to order a custom case from Road Cases USA (http://www.roadcasesusa.com/).

It was $100 less ($259 with wheels) and 6 lb (2.7 kg) lighter than the Gator, and sized to fit the instrument. This company, based in New York, only ships free within the U.S., but I have to imagine there are similar services just about anywhere in the world.
Falkus51

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitflipper wrote:
I ordered a case from Sweetwater based on their "customers also bought these..." suggestions. Big mistake. The thing was huge and heavy, and worst of all the Kronos did not fit into it! Height and width were way more than needed, but there was insufficient vertical space for Kronos' taller than average 6" height so the lid wouldn't close.

Cost me $93 to ship it back to Sweetwater. I won't be buying any more large items that way.

So I did some extensive shopping. I found that there is a case specifically for the Kronos 2, but it is currently unavailable in North America. Had my local music retailer looking, too, but the best he came up with was aforementioned Gator GK76, which was too bulky and too heavy.

The reason I went with the 73-key version to replace its 88-key predecessor was its lighter weight and smaller size, so I was reluctant to get an oversize case that weighed half as much as the instrument itself.

My ultimate solution was to order a custom case from Road Cases USA (http://www.roadcasesusa.com/).

It was $100 less ($259 with wheels) and 6 lb (2.7 kg) lighter than the Gator, and sized to fit the instrument. This company, based in New York, only ships free within the U.S., but I have to imagine there are similar services just about anywhere in the world.

Thanks for the info, Bitflipper! I just got a Kronos2 73 and am in dire need of a case as well! I considered getting the Gator GK76 but thanks to your info I will be going the custom case route instead.

Having a keyboard case that is specifically made for the 73 as opposed to a longer stock 76 case will be great for saving as much space as possible. The 6lbs and $100 saved will be a big bonus too.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually received my case yet. When I do get it, probably the end of this week, I'll report back on how well it worked out. So if you can hold off another week, you might want to let me be your guinea pig before spending your money. I'll let you know how it goes.
Falkus51

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I can haul my K73 to band practice and gigs without worrying about banging it up!

My new case arrived today from Road Cases USA, and I'm pretty pleased.

Unlike the generic cases I'd been looking at, this one's not unnecessarily bulky, being just slightly larger than the Kronos itself. It's not a tight fit, though - I can hear the synth moving if I rock the case back and forth. But the manufacturer includes some extra foam padding that can be glued in for a more snug fit. I've just laid the foam in for the time being.

I ordered mine with wheels, as a favor to my back. They're nice wheels. Heavier-duty than, say, those little recessed wheels on your suitcase. The only downside is the case can't stand up wheels-down, as the wheels protrude a couple inches. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to pack your beloved Kronos into the van vertically anyway.

At 20 lb it's the same weight or lighter than any of the ill-fitting plastic cases I'd considered. Plywood construction with metal trim and corners, secure metal clasps, and it's lockable. Mine's black, but for an extra charge you can get it in other colors.

It was $259 (free shipping), a hundred bucks less than I would have paid for a generic Gator case that was going to be too big and too heavy. This is going to be my solution for future cases, I think.
Falkus51

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, thanks for the info. I will have to get mine soon then.

Is it possible to store the keyboard case with keyboard inside horizontally on its side? And if so, do you know if is it safe for the keyboard to be stored that way? Id like to leave more room in the trunk of my car for other things.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Road Cases USA case for my K2-88 and it works fine. It weighs about 10 lbs, so the total weight is about 62 lbs. I installed some foam spacers in strategic places to protect the rear controls and jacks. Also glued 2 large pieces to the top of the case to hold the keyboard in place during transport, just be careful that they rest on the top of the keyboard on each end where they don't come in contact with any switches or controllers.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falkus51 wrote:

Is it possible to store the keyboard case with keyboard inside horizontally on its side? And if so, do you know if is it safe for the keyboard to be stored that way? Id like to leave more room in the trunk of my car for other things.

What you must avoid is storing any keyboard in such a way that there is pressure on the keys. That can lead to them eventually becoming not uniformly level, requiring opening up the instrument and adjusting individual key heights. Having an uneven keyboard will drive you nuts!

Beyond that, there's no problem storing a keyboard on its side. Just lay it in the case so the back side is away from the handle and the keyboard is facing up, so that when you set it down or carry it there's no way for pressure to be on the keys.
santley88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Gator Case Reply with quote

I just purchased a Kronos 2 88 from ZZounds. They offered the Gator case GTSA-Key88SLXL along with it. Very customizable but essentially, it works just fine. Case is about 33lbs and the KB is 65lbs, so a "comfortable" 100lbs to carry about. This case has a couple of wheels and hand straps on the end panels to facilitate cartage.... Just hauled it to church last night for a rehearsal for the first time and it is a very balanced carry. It didn't feel like a struggle at all. (full disclosure, I do weight training 3x a week, so YMMV).

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GATGTSAKEY88SLXL
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gator Case Reply with quote

santley88 wrote:
...I do weight training 3x a week, so YMMV.

And now you're doing weight training 4x a week.
santley88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Weight Lifting Reply with quote

ROFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: