Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter stuck in headphone socket!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geovicsha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter stuck in headphone socket! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I was using my 3.5mm to 6.35mm (1/4) adapter to play on the stereo, and when I pulled it out, the end of it was removed and remained stuck in the socket. Pic here.

Initially I thought the black component was protruding, since it was wobbly, but now I fear that it's a component of the Korg SV1 itself. I was attempting to use pliers and I've since stopped doing this in fear of damaging things.

So, if it's inside it, the pliers won't fit and tweezers aren't good enough. I've tried a small screwdriver but to no avail. I've read superglue may work, but I don't feel comfortable having remnants of the superglue inside the port.

Any advice? I don't want to ruin it and have to buy a new port and potentially someone to repair it. Cheers.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an easy one to fix, and Korg's 1/4" headphone sockets do seem to grab the jack plug quite hard.

One possibility is to put a tiny amount of oil between the broken-off plug tip and the socket, by putting the oil on the end of a pin and carefully moving the pin to the right place. Then possibly try using a suitably sized new woodscrew with a sharp-edged thread in there and making it "bite" into the remnants of the ring from the adapter before pulling it out. If this works, then the same procedure may be possible with the tip of the adaptor, but using a smaller woodscrew.

If you have access to a workshop, it might be possible to fashion some sort of removal tool out of a bicycle spoke, or an old electrician's screwdriver, so it has a small sharp protrusion to one side at the very end to act as a sort of hook.

If none of that works, then it becomes a bigger job and ideally needs some electronics repair shop experience. The keyboard would need to be disassembled to get to the jack socket, which could then be unsoldered from the board and a small hole drilled in the closed end of the socket and the remnants of the jack plug pushed out using a nail or similar, then refitted.

geovicsha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying. Upon further inspection, I am fairly sure that the upper black plastic part came off, and is slightly protruding out of the socket. I can get a photo soon.

Other adapters can now go in, but not fully, and the sound quality isn't as good as a result.

Here's a photo of the adapter: http://www.bestlinknetware.com/products/201308.JPG

Would you have any unique advice then? Thank you!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo in the link shows a 3.5mm jack plug to 1/4" jack socket adapter. The photo linked to in the original post shows a 1/4" jack plug(broken) to a presumably 3.5mm jack socket. Was the original adapter a stereo one i.e. tip, ring, sleeve, or a mono one i.e. tip, sleeve?

Other adapters won't go in fully until the remnants of the old broken adapter are removed.

geovicsha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. The original adapter was definitely a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter. I can see how it doesn't look like that on account of the fact the end part is now detatched, but it's definitely the former. I wouldn't be able to play with the inverse adapter.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case, then the SV-1 headphone socket is badly broken and needs to be replaced.

geovicsha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you conclude that? Wouldn't the broken parts inside the socket still be able to be removed?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the non-broken adapter in the most recent image is, as you said, exactly the same as the one pulled from the SV-1, then the diameter of the metal protruding part is much larger than 3.5mm.

geovicsha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I don't think the most recent photo is identical, however similar. After inspecting somebody elses photo of their headphone socket, my situation would have it stuck in there - as per the first photo.

But I'm still confused: it's a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter. The headphone socket of the SV1 is 1/4", so the end part that has snapped off is also 1/4". Why is it an issue that it's larger than 3.5mm, when the only 3.5mm component is the actual headphone jack?

If you're right, then I guess one saving grace is that a replacement part is $2.50 AUD. Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two postings contradict one another:

"Here's a photo of the adapter: http://www.bestlinknetware.com/products/201308.JPG"

then, in the last posting:

"Thanks again. I don't think the most recent photo is identical, however similar. "

Makes it difficult to offer constructive help.

geovicsha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my apologies. This thread ended up being a live update of my issues.

To clarify: the second picture is recent but not identical. It turns out that the black part protruding is part of the keyboard rather than the adapter, so what's stuck in the socket is inside.

Hope that helps and sorry again for the confusion!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, no problem. Regarding the broken adapter that is shown in the image linked to in the first posting; how does the diameter of the metal part compare to that of a normal 1/4" jack plug? Is it exactly the same, or is it slightly larger? Taking care not to do any damage, can the broken adaptor be pushed into a different 1/4" jack socket?

geovicsha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exactly the same, and can be inserted into other adapters fine. Mind you, the end part is slightly smaller - the part that has broken off. Thanks!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by your answer, it seems that no part of the actual jack socket has come out and become jammed onto the end of the adapter.

In which case, I would suggest following the original 'plan A' suggestions i.e. trying to remove the broken bits of old adapter from the jack socket in the SV-1. Something that might be worth trying is to glue an item such as a screw onto the inside of the "ring" part of the adapter using an epoxy adhesive type glue. It might be possible to put a thin film of glue onto the broken adapter, and gluing that to the remnants of the adapter stuck in the keyboard, then using the adapter, screw, or whatever to pull the broken bits out. Patience will be of the essence here, and attention to cleaning up the parts to be glued to removeany grease or contamination, and allowing the glue to fully set and attain maximum strength. The big risk here is that glue will get to parts where it shouldn't and totally mess things up. Also, if any oil has been put there it will stop the adhesive from adhering. In which case try the alternative methods already suggested. If you have a friend or colleague or family member who has engineering workshop experience, they might be able to offer some useful help or advice.

geovicsha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I don't feel really comfortable using glue for the reasons you mentioned. Have you had any expereince in opening up the Korg SV1 yourself? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: