Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best midi comtrollers of 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love complete but I have never liked the way they work the system around Maschine and the lost functionality from 1.8. They string you along and push packs. I won't give them anymore money anytime soon. I can easily live with hardware and what software I have but I appreciate Komplete is great. I would like to have it and may someday. I will go for Omnisphere first if I do any more software. As for controllers I really don't want anything other then Roli stuff. I have been hooked by them completely. I also like that they took suggestions and implemented them ASAP!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bachus.
I do have Pianoteq, but I will certainly be putting Omnisphere on my shopping list at some point.

Right now I'm looking forward to getting Kontakt 5 up and running with all my own content as well as the orchestral sounds that come with it.

Quote:
I still think that the first one that adds vst controll like NI NKS to its hardware workstation... has a winner at his hands... everything running on the pc and the workstation being the controller and the audio interface...

Seems to me Native Instruments are not far off that now. It wouldn't take very much effort to make it a complete portable setup either. A 2U Rack mount PC and Kiosk Touch screen.

Regards
Sharp.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Would love complete but I have never liked the way they work the system around Maschine and the lost functionality from 1.8. They string you along and push packs. I won't give them anymore money anytime soon. I can easily live with hardware and what software I have but I appreciate Komplete is great. I would like to have it and may someday. I will go for Omnisphere first if I do any more software. As for controllers I really don't want anything other then Roli stuff. I have been hooked by them completely. I also like that they took suggestions and implemented them ASAP!

I wouldn't mind that too much at all. If they have something worth buying and it's something I actually need, I'd buy it. If it's just something I'd like to have but don't really need, I've no problem just skipping over items like that.

Seems also the upgrade price from older versions of Komplete (pre v10) to the latest version is the same price too, so there's probably no harm in me also skipping over major releases of the software.

I guess it all depends on what sort of offers they come up with. Either way, in the long run it's a darn sight cheaper than buying a Workstation.

Regards
Sharp.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komplete and Maschine aren't really related in the way you seem to think they are, or I'm not understanding you correctly, Bertotti.
Maschine is a (limited) pattern and sampling based DAW with a lot of original sounds and indeed, loads of expansion packs that you can buy or not. It also ships with Massive and Komplete Elements, both of which are just sound generators that loosely integrate with Maschine but also any other DAW. Komplete (or Komplete Ultimate) is a massive collection of VST synths and FX with upwards of 300GB of sample content.

You can use one without the other, the only way they're related is that the VSTs included in Komplete can be loaded in Maschine and Maschine can read/browse the presets. FWIW I virtually never use them together - I use the Komplete VSTs in Sonar and I use Maschine to build drum patterns with its included sounds. I have a bunch of expansion packs but stopped buying when I realized I have several thousand kick drums in there (plus the drum synth).
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that and my needs are limited so i can easily pass. I really would only love to have reaktor 6 and Kontakt. I don't have a need or want of all the samples they ship with it. I would be thrilled if they offered a limited bundle of just some of the engines if thats the right way to put it.

My avoiding NI is simply because of the lack of follow through on what they have said they will do with maschine. They broke what many of us used no it is a work around waiting to happen. Promises to fix these things and years go by with new sound packs and new hardware and new bells and whistles but the core functions many lost with the 2.0 upgrade have never been taken care of. Just me being pissy in the end but I vote with my wallet most of the time. I can not say I won't change my mind, i may, and I can not say Komplete is crap because it isn't. Komplete is a great bundle of items. Many I would like to have but don't need and can live without, so I do. Now I am no pro, I rarely worry about emulating a tone or sound from a song or group, and anytime I have looked for a sound i have found a way to get it with what I have.
I will say I would not part with Komplete player and kinetic metal it is my absolute favorite!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Sharp I don't want to put a damp rag on your purchase because you will have a blast with Komplete!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Sorry Sharp I don't want to put a damp rag on your purchase because you will have a blast with Komplete!

Yeah sure, no regrets here at all. I've spent quite a lot of time doing my homework on all this and I'm looking forward to it.

Regards
Sharp.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Bertotti wrote:

Yeah sure, no regrets here at all. I've spent quite a lot of time doing my homework on all this and I'm looking forward to it.

Regards
Sharp.

You've certainly got me thinking twice about my choice. Komplete does have a couple engines I would really like to have. I will be interested to hear your thoughts on some of them once you've dug in if you don't mind. I really enjoy Kontak and Reaktor and Monark. I have not really tried andy others except Massive which is great but I will fire up Monark first.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get just Kontakt and Reaktor too, if you want. Pretty sure they offer crossgrades or upgrades.

Out of curiosity, what specifically do you miss in M2 that is in 1.8?
And what is stopping you from continuing to use 1.8?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it is mostly the way it worked in logic before and now. I just don't like it now. in my infinite wisdom I deleted 1.8 and have no luck getting it again. I was especially boneheaded that day, apparently!

I think now what I will do it use it for audio only jut like any other non midi instrument and record it in through my audio interface. That would remove all frustration for me, when I think about it I never played around changing sound and events after the fact anyway.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly am not a big fan of the way it works as VST either. I like to build a beat in it and then usually export audio loops, soloing the individual parts and dragging them onto the Sonar timeline.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NI S61 controller arrived today. Just been playing with it for the last 3 hours. I'm very impressed by how much content komplete select comes with. If someones intentions were to only purchase the keyboard, it's seems like a really great deal. That siad, I'll certainly be upgrading Select to Ultimate this week.

Sharp.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Just ordered the NI S61 Controller.

I haven't been able to use my lovely Novation MKII since I upgraded to Pro Tools 11 and now 12. It doesn't support the native AAX format, so you can't use it to control the plug in parameters anymore! I guess I'm gotta get me a new controller.

I haven't done my research just yet. Is this NI S61 designed to work with NI package primarily? Would it make sense to get this if you're using non-kontakt libraries such as East-West , Best Service and Spectrasonics stuff as well?

Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Sharp wrote:
Just ordered the NI S61 Controller.

I haven't been able to use my lovely Novation MKII since I upgraded to Pro Tools 11 and now 12. It doesn't support the native AAX format, so you can't use it to control the plug in parameters anymore! I guess I'm gotta get me a new controller.

I haven't done my research just yet. Is this NI S61 designed to work with NI package primarily? Would it make sense to get this if you're using non-kontakt libraries such as East-West , Best Service and Spectrasonics stuff as well?

This is a list of all vst's that have full integration with the NKS standard NI created for these keyboards...

You can make your own templates, if you want to..

I know there are 3rd party offerings for Spectrasonics instruments, for under $50

You have limited controll options for VST's not comliant to this nks standard.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this NI S61 designed to work with NI package primarily?

From what I've explored with so far, non native instruments can be added but in order to be able to browse the library of sounds, you have to add the presets from your VST one by one to Native Instruments Kontrol.

Sounds like a very slow process for a big VST that has thousands of sounds. That being said you seem to be only really limited to not being able to define the lights to different colours, and the controllers are all mapped automatically and not necessarily in the order you would prefer. Unless you want to write your own scripts.

That being said, I'd only buy this keyboard if the NI package was my primary library. AKAI's VIP seems more suited for someone looking to work with a lot of non-native NI content.

Quote:
Would it make sense to get this if you're using non-kontakt libraries such as East-West , Best Service and Spectrasonics stuff as well?

If your happy to put in the work and getting them integrated then yes. For me the end result is like working with a dedicated hardware keyboard.

There are places online where you can download this work already done for you. Some downloads are for free, some have a small charge. Spectrasonics for example seem to be covered. Even the KORG Legacy collection and many others.

Regards
Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: