Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead Key?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DogBone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Dead Key? Reply with quote

Anyone else ever have an issue with a dead key on their PA4X 61? Just got the rig. Only 2 months old. FANTASTIC keyboard.......at least until yesterday. Powered 'er up, and my D2 key is completely dead. Not just dead sound, but it's not even registering a chord with the accompaniment. Completely bummed - Sad

I've been using, almost exclusively, Korg keys for over 30 years (one Roland Juno back in the 80's) and have NEVER had a technical issue with any of them. So I'm finding it hard to believe that it's just "broke"....especially after just 2 months of "soft" use (no live gigs yet).

Obviously, it's still under warranty. And I have an authorized Korg service just 20 min from me (very lucky!). But I know these services can sometimes be 2 months or more to get work done, so just wondering if anyone else had run into this and maybe found a quick fix, like an OS update or something?

Last edited by DogBone on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DogBone

Welcome to Korg Forums

Sorry to hear about your dead key - that's really bad luck - hopefully the service centre will get it sorted ASAP.

I've so far, never had any keys fail on any of my keyboards.

Let us know how you go.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
DogBone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks karma! I've done some investigating and found some who are saying it may just be an OS update issue. So I'm going to give that a try first before taking it in or returning it. Fingers crossed.

Luckily, in the meantime, I still have my IS40 (live gigging since '98 and still going strong!) and X5 to hold me over.
mstodola

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a hardware problem. Probably a bad solder joint or if it is an intermittent problem, a bad seating of the connector or a bad connector. Software 99.9% of the time does not repair a bad key. Re-seating the connector that goes to the keybed usually fixes it, but (5%) sometimes it is a bad solder joint. I would take it in for repair if it is under warranty. It might be a quick fix.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DogBone

IS40 !!!!!!

Guess what - I just last week bought a i5M

I owned the i3 and i30 a long time ago - great great arrangers!!!!!

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
mstodola

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked that up. It looks like the arranger without the keybed. How good are the arranger tracks. I really liked my General Music SK76. They were generic enough to use for all kinds of songs. They didn't create the songs exactly, but with enough creativity, they sounded good. At least to me they did.
DogBone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karma - YES! IS40!!! She's been my workhorse for almost 22 years. Bought it the day it was released - I happened to be in the store the day the Korg rep was actually there setting one up. He gave me a quick demo, and I was sold on the spot. At that time, there was NOTHING that had that level of quality sounds, unless you were paying 2 to 3 times the price of the IS. And programming it was a kick! I spent many years building up a huge cache of my own home made patches. Nice FAT pads, and excellent Hammond sounds for that time period. Very simple and nice sequencer/arranger. I'm still using it....MIDI'd to my Pa4X. Pa being the mother. Before the IS40, it was my DW800 that carried the load from about 85 to 96. Also still in working order (!) although I only MIDI that one up when I'm looking for a very specific, retro sound. The analog resonance filter on that thing was soooooo COOL! AND a built in arpeggiator!! Synth heaven!!!
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must mean DW8000 ? I am guessing Dogbone, I also had a DW8000 which saw a lot of action and was still in fine fettle when I traded it in. That wasn't the end of my involvement with Korg DWGS though, soon after I traded the DW8000 I missed it so then got myself a EX8000 and then the MX8000 both of which I still use today !
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
DogBone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman - you are correct. I did miss that all important last zero. Thanks!

DW8000

And yes, I was very shocked, and happy, to also actually find the old DWGS legacy samples in the Pa4X! Don't have that nice analog resonance filter the DW's had. But still pretty cool. I'm thinking (haven't got around to trying it yet) that some of that resonance filtration may be somewhat achievable with a heavy phase shifter effect tacked on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: