Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg IS NOT WINDOWS COMPATIBLE.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a random article:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/04/11/apple-grows-to-74-of-worldwide-pc-market-as-windows-continues-to-cede-share-to-the-mac

Still doesn't say anything about the music biz which at least in Holland is absolutely dominated by Mac, with the exception of the EDM FruityLoops crowd.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to vary depending on the link. Under 3% according to this link.
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Whatever it really is, it's still pretty small. I'd bet it's made up of mostly people working in digital media and musicians.

Regards
Sharp.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY hate to enter into a Mac/Win debate, but I'll add this perspective:

I've used a Mac since my SE/30 running System 7 with Performer and Finale in 1991. I was a Mac zealot for a long time. I took all kinds of abuse from Windows users over the years (and probably dished out my share as well.) I've watched many of those tormentors switch to Mac in the 10 years since the iPhone was introduced.

I use and enjoy a 12.9” iPad Pro and an iPad mini. But, I'm done with MacOS when my current hardware needs replaced. MacOS has become too intrusive, a complaint I used to hear from windows users. It's become too much like a tablet interface. The final straw was last fall's MacBook Pro lineup. I had been waiting to update my 2009 MBP. Upon seeing the new lineup (the expense, the hardwired RAM, lack of ports), I surrendered and went looking for a PC laptop. Digital Performer now runs on Windows so I'm not tied to macOS anymore.

In the process, I got a previous generation MBP on closeout. It will likely be my last Mac unless Apple changes course by the time I need a new computer.

For Windows and MacOS, I wish they would give you the option of choosing a stripped down user interface. How about letting us have an interface without little pulsing icons and such and let us use that computing power for actual work? It's amazing how powerful computers are today compared to my SE/30, which was a screaming machine in its day. But so much RAM and processing power is wasted on bells and whistles.

Apple keeps advertising the iPad Pro as a "computer." I suspect that they're setting up the market for an eventual merging of the Mac and iPad lines. It will be a sad day for the Mac when that happens. What was once a great platform will become just another consumer appliance.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people will laugh (probably mockingly) but Linux is becoming an increasingly viable musical platform. Sure, it doesn't have Logic, it doesn't have DP, it doesn't have Cubase - but it does have credible realtime options, a solid base of software of its own (not least of which is support for a few rather impressive packages, Bitwig among them).

Windows has become a bad joke, what with its unilateral rebooting and upgrading decisions (on what planet is that a defensible choice for a professional OS, Microsoft?) and not a month ago I was helping a friend of mine who had lost vast numbers of music files to iTunes. Totally, fundamentally, ludicrously unacceptable to anybody who works in media. Period. (The friend in question is a journalist, who waxed bitterly lyrical on the threat of Apple thinking that text files might be similarly dispensible.) The intrusiveness is annoying; disappearing files is utterly inexcusable. The very idea that this might have been acceptable just shows how far off the cliff Apple drove.

At this point, part of the credibility of standalone hardware is precisely because the major OS creators have been enthusiastically screwing the pooch. Want to be sure it'll run when the lights turn up? Don't use Windows. Want to be sure everything will be there when you need it? Don't use Apple. Want a polished environment? Don't use Linux (although it is improving).

A dedicated master workstation is still the way to go, really.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, in Windows 10 Pro you can turn off automatic updates if you prefer. I don't really get the comment about unilateral rebooting, the days when Windows needed to reboot after every application install are long gone.

You can also turn off most of the "make it look pretty" features if you like, though they hardly impact audio performance since they use graphics card accelleration.

In the end, I think all computers suck to some extent. It's just what you're used to that determines which works better. There was a while where Apple had the clear advantage with CoreAudio and CoreMidi over flakey Windows implementation but Windows has moved forwards where OSX has moved backwards. Unfortunately, Linux is still too limited for me. It's true there are a few DAWs that support it now but most audio hardware isn't supported beyond class compliant modes and almost none of my plugins and synths woulf work.

Regardless of OS, using a high end audio interface with stable drivers does a lot more for computer stability than anything else. And at the end of the day you're looking at the Cubase/Logic/Sonar/ProTools screen most of the time, instead of dealing with OS idiosyncrasies. So use what you're comfortable with.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
FWIW, in Windows 10 Pro you can turn off automatic updates if you prefer. I don't really get the comment about unilateral rebooting, the days when Windows needed to reboot after every application install are long gone.

You can also turn off most of the "make it look pretty" features if you like, though they hardly impact audio performance since they use graphics card accelleration.

In the end, I think all computers suck to some extent. It's just what you're used to that determines which works better. There was a while where Apple had the clear advantage with CoreAudio and CoreMidi over flakey Windows implementation but Windows has moved forwards where OSX has moved backwards. Unfortunately, Linux is still too limited for me. It's true there are a few DAWs that support it now but most audio hardware isn't supported beyond class compliant modes and almost none of my plugins and synths woulf work.

Regardless of OS, using a high end audio interface with stable drivers does a lot more for computer stability than anything else. And at the end of the day you're looking at the Cubase/Logic/Sonar/ProTools screen most of the time, instead of dealing with OS idiosyncrasies. So use what you're comfortable with.

+1

In regard to turning off the "look pretty" option and processing power, it's not just the processing load but the amount of RAM used by the OS. MacOS hogs at least a gig and a half of ram just sitting there. That wouldn't be as big of a deal in windows where PCs let you install more ram. Since Apple insists on soldering in 8gb with no expansion slots and then makes you pay ridiculous prices to jump from 8 to 16 Gb, that's unacceptable.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

Correction: you can turn off automatic updating on Windows 10 Enterprise Edition - which is only available to really large companies.

On other versions of Windows 10, you can turn it off - maybe - and it might even pretend that it did - maybe - but it will do it anyway. And the unilateral part is Windows deciding: "I downloaded an update that is totally important, you guys and that needs to be installed right freaking now regardless of whether or not you have an audience waiting for a show, so I'm-a let you finish, but I'm rebooting for the update now."

Ever had that happen right when you want to give a presentation? Or get some work done? Or anything other than watching Windows reboot, and install a bunch of OS updates?

The internet is full of rants about it. Just do a few searches.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does NOT happen in W10 Pro. It happens in W10 Home. In Pro you can defer updates and do them at your own convenience. It is not unilateral, and MOST CERTAINLY does not happen in the middle of any sort of work.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has also been my experience running two Windows 10 Pro systems the past year or so, doing lots of live and studio work.
Soundsgood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just turn off the Windows 10 update service:

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/
iPad, Roland-D05, Elekrtron Digitakt, Elektron Digitone, Novation Peak
A lot of cumputer stuff!
fcoulter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running a computer for music, why the hell do you have it online? Networking your computer can throw up all sorts of interesting timing issues.

Any computer I'm running for music will be disconnected from the world. (Sorry Roland)

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been to any studio that keeps its computers offline. I know that this used to be a thing in some circles, especially during XP times, but I certainly couldn't do it. I constantly need to send and receive audio files, look stuff up, grab samples from YouTube or Spotify, authorize or download software etc.
Being online has never harmed any of my systems that I could tell.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I have never been to any studio that keeps its computers offline. I know that this used to be a thing in some circles, especially during XP times, but I certainly couldn't do it. I constantly need to send and receive audio files, look stuff up, grab samples from YouTube or Spotify, authorize or download software etc.
Being online has never harmed any of my systems that I could tell.

+1

There was a time I kept my studio computer offline, but that ended years ago. I often go to YouTube to check tempi for a client project. I also find myself going out to look for sheet music.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

I agree with your points. The difference I think with WIN10 and my experience is the free (Home) upgrade or going pro.

That is why I purchased the W10 pro licenses to install before I go out gigging again. I made the "mistake" of the free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10 Home, and I can assert that you get absolutely no choice of when WIN10 Home/Basic decides you need to upgrade (other than a "frig" to say that you have a metered connection), even when you "protect" yourself by not having had the laptop connected to the internet a week before a gig! In my naivety, I thought that any updates would have been applied as they came in. However, the gig before last I was setting up before the gig and, to my horror, during sound check WIN10 decided to go into update mode and then spent two hours doing the update (despite the laptop having been in flight safe mode for a week). Luckily I have a backup laptop which is still on WIN7. That saved the day.

As a platform for doing music, WIN10 is not bad; I don't like the graphic look, but can live with that. I detest this update policy, and the fact that Cortana has replaced basic search (I do not yet want a personal assistant) and that Cortana is tied to Edge, completely ignoring your preferred browser. So it is the choice (lack of) thing for me that has really gotten my ire going. Maybe WIN10 pro will help me get control back. I really hope so! Now I need time to do the update before I go gigging again!

My point was not to start an OS Flame war, but thought it worth mentioning my experiences (hopefully somebody will glean some info from the debate to help their choices), and why I will eventually go the OS X route when I refresh the hardware (unless I fall in love with WIN10 pro Wink ). OS X/Apple are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination (points made above are well made), but my personal experience with it is that it does not make me want to hurl the computer out of the window every five minutes...... Wink

I actually went OS X a few years back after borrowing an iMAC from a mate to do compatibility testing on my Java synth librarians on OS X. At the time I had four Vista (spit) PCs in the house, all with various problems on that even i as somebody who has a technical background was struggling with. The Mac was in the house for a month, and it just worked and was a joy to use (it reminded me of my old Commodore Amigas), which is when I decided that my next computer would be a Mac (Promise fulfilled on my main desktop computer).

Peace and love on the OS front. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website

Last edited by Derek Cook on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cortana can be disabled. See Spybot Anti-Beacon. Then you get the regular search from W7 back.

Also, there are tweaks possible that make Cortana use the browser and search engine of your choice. It's a Google search (sic) away Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: