Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot freezing problem 1.2.1
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erwinor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Boot freezing problem 1.2.1 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

this morning I've try to boot my Pa4X and guess what.........

After the load bar finished and the "OS 1.2.1 June 20 2016" appeared the keyboard just stucked.

Turned it off then on......still the same.......

Pulled the power cable out and placed it back again returned a normal boot.
Did a factory restore.......tried to boot......still the same.

Pulled the power cable again and now its working without any booting problems.

Keyboard is one week old and I am very worried if this is a hardware or software problem.

Forgot to mention that I've loaded some styles and sounds from a friends pa3x several days ago.

Confused Confused Confused
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezing issues are starting to become a more frequent event it would seam according to reports on this forum and other mediums of contact, only today talking to my dealer who is currently aware of my freezing issues with the PA4X and he has been in contact with Korg UK on my behalf this week and between two phone calls with him during the week he now also has another customer reporting the same type of freezing issues with there PA4X, could I ask is you PA4X currently working and has this repeated the freezing problem in any way post your comments here ?....... I can say my initial pattern of freezing in OS 1.2.1 where consistent in nature on three occasions and with OS 1.2.4 installed this has now taken on different form of freezing pattern when displaying this unwanted problem across this platform and this has happened on two occasions recently once again, so currently this keyboard is not workable for live work (and im not the only one here) + my current PA4X is a new replacement unit according to problems again with frezing and lockups with the first PA4X I owned and I was not the only one in the UK to have this keyboard replaced according to these issues previously.......

Last edited by D575 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:58 am; edited 2 times in total
erwinor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have talked to a korg expert..he told me that there are about 4 more pa4x with the same problem that he is aware off.
He told me to do the 1.2.4 update.That will help he said because I am a lucky one that made it boot.
Usually they dont boot in that situation and he told me that he is using a special program
from korg to make it workable again.

Since the last freeze before my post and after the update there is no freezing.....crossing my fingers.

Last edited by erwinor on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I may be aware of your contact there so as my PA4X is still under warranty I will personally only allow korg to undertake any work with any special programmes to take place and this would be a prudent course of action should this continue to escalate and no satisfactory future solution can be achieved by korg and should a third party ever be required to be involved i then feel sure they (third party) would feel this to be the correct action to follow....my fingers have also been crossed many time hoping this would improve but unfortunately this ended up being alot of wishful finger crossing.... and as more PA4X owners are starting to report these freezing events I am becoming very concerned indeed, After all excluding these issues there really is no alternative to the PA4X which leaves a big problem if this continue to escalate in numbers from other PA4X owners, I would air on caution before trying to fix this with out Korg's consent in regard to any programs or software beeing offered that might invalidate your rights and your warranty in the future....

Last edited by D575 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: 121 Reply with quote

OS 124 is my enemy.
I only get freezing in the songbook I've talked about this before I pick one song and two songs would light up and then freeze, then you have to shut down and reboot.. In OS 124 ..and I have upgrade many of time to OS 124 many times and had to go back to OS 121 so I tried last month and I upgraded to os124.. ( I remover the SD card and took out the battery and let the keyboard set for some time to make sure the memory was empty or dead ) install os124 , made a brand-new song book inside of the PA4 x I did not transfer my old songbook into the new operating system 124. All was going well for three weeks and then it started freezing up again so I went back to OS 121 and the songbook does not freeze up anymore. I found that that the song I'd made under OS 124( again ,I did not use the computer songbook program it was all done inside of PAX4). Now I took my fresh songbook( from os124 ) and loaded it in my PA4 with the new OS 121, and as I said before , no problems, and there's always a but the songbook had different harmonies for different songs in it so every time I pick a song it would change the harmony for me but when I went back to the OS 121 the links for the harmony did not work so I had to reset all the links again.
So now I am up and running fine again with OS 121. Just another thought when you upgrade from OS 121 to OS 124, 124 is twice the size and we did not get any new functions so as I just wonder is it just patchwork they did, I also think the refreshment rate is not done enough times, it like the machine cannot keep up with me , and I go slow. While a song is playing I'll start looking for a new song and that I go to custom song list a different one and I have to wait for the screen to update and I can understand a 5or 10 second delay but not a 20 to 30 second delay.
This is what I know what I found out maybe it'll help somebody at the great company of korg.. Thanks for listening..
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, whilst I have not experienced a freeze (1.2.1), these reports are a real worry. Here in Australia, the strongest consumer protection is a "fit for purpose" test. So, if I had a freeze, and then a repeat freeze after having Korg service it, I would definitely be seeking a full refund under that legislation.

An AUD$5,500 keyboard that can't be used for live performances is definitely not fit for purpose. I hope it doesn't ever come to that, because right now I am loving this keyboard.

I really feel for those experiencing this issue.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4x_user wrote:
I must say, whilst I have not experienced a freeze (1.2.1), these reports are a real worry. Here in Australia, the strongest consumer protection is a "fit for purpose" test. So, if I had a freeze, and then a repeat freeze after having Korg service it, I would definitely be seeking a full refund under that legislation.

An AUD$5,500 keyboard that can't be used for live performances is definitely not fit for purpose. I hope it doesn't ever come to that, because right now I am loving this keyboard.

I really feel for those experiencing this issue.
Totally agree with you... I am also very passionate about playing my keyboards and have enjoyed very much Korg PA flagship arrangers in the past notably the PA3X in recent times... So somewhere along the line I hope very much with others to be able to continue to do so...BUT really korg so much time has passed under the bridge here and i do really really hope for everyone involved which are the loyal customers who are passionate about there music making with the current PA4X and those who I'm sure are also passionate about the products they develop notably PA4X will resolve these issues VERY SOON .........
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575, you say - Freezing issues are starting to become a more frequent event it would seam according to reports on this forum and other mediums of contact, only today talking to my dealer who is currently aware of my freezing issues with the PA4X and he has been in contact with Korg UK on my behalf this week and between two phone calls with him during the week he now also has another customer reporting the same type of freezing issues with there PA4X,

Having kept tabs on this thread over recent months as a result of the phone calls by your dealer to Korg UK as far as Korg UK are concerned what is the solution ? Seems to me that there is a lot of batting to and throw without any real substance from Korg UK. If now then another customer of your dealer has these issues Korg should be proactive and identify what the problems are with this product?

Everyday is another day off your warranty and looking forward it does not bode well from where I am sitting.

By now there these freezing issues should have been identified and addressed by Korg and a new operating system released to finally put paid to any freezing issues. I feel for anyone with this issue and while it can me said that there are many Pa4x owners who have a Pa4x which is not freezing up how many are there that are having these problems, the uncertain causes do nothing to instill confidence in other owners, the owner s who have the issues and any prospective person thinking of purchasing a Pa4x especially given that the price has increased !
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
erwinor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one more freeze this morning......a second try made it boot without having to pull out the power cable......maybe my Pa4X do not like to sleep as much as I do... Laughing
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put simply mintjammam I am giving all concerned the opportunity to have there discussions and next week I should know more so pending a response I will exercise a little more patience despite my frustration as with others and depending what from this response is I will respond with my own diligence accordingly.......remember the president of korg Italy has indicated his engineers have been keeping a close eye on this forum and as the numbers are growing with these types of problems it will be interesting to see and here how they intended to tackle these issues in the mean time I am preparing for the worst but also ever hopeful for some good news and as far as my warranty is concerned I have know intention of being caught with my trousers down be assured of that......so it is Saturday night I am now going to try to put all this out of my mind and go and enjoy my friends band playing in my local (restaurant/bar) and im sure as i walk through the door this evening my friend won't resist shouting across the PA "how's the korg!?" And I will respond in a loud voice "like my right leg unhappy" after a motor cycle crash I had a many moons ago......
mstodola

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiannis wrote:
I got one more freeze this morning......a second try made it boot without having to pull out the power cable......maybe my Pa4X do not like to sleep as much as I do... Laughing

I had exactly the same problem. I found the resolution to the problem was removing the microSD. Turn the power off, unplug the power cord, then remove the microSD. I found this to be the problem. I have not had my unit lock up again after doing this. Check to see if you can see the microSD in the media mode. It has nothing to do with the operating system of the Pa4X.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: again Reply with quote

again a new fresh songbook made in the pa4x os124 , lock up again , the song keep playing but just the micophone button worked ,all other buttons did not work,, had to reboot ( now I know why korg made the boot time faster ) so now back to os121 and I fine out that the song book made is os124 , lockup in os121 ,, so now back to my song book made in os121, .. so I was wrong , for me , if i make a song book in os121 and need to upgrade to os124 , i will need to make again new song book ,, maybe with OS3 when it come out I can use the same songbook I hope.and if it not the songbook , it must be in the new and improved OS ,, this did not happen is the Pa3x.. Confused
erwinor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstodola wrote:

I had exactly the same problem. I found the resolution to the problem was removing the microSD. Turn the power off, unplug the power cord, then remove the microSD. I found this to be the problem. I have not had my unit lock up again after doing this. Check to see if you can see the microSD in the media mode. It has nothing to do with the operating system of the Pa4X.

Thank you but I dont have a sd card installed.

I got one more freeze today......Pa4X is going back to the distributor .They said there is a special file from korg that will reset the keyboard completely.
My biggest fear is if this could be a hardware problem.....
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiannis wrote:
mstodola wrote:

Thank you but I dont have a sd card installed.

I got one more freeze today......Pa4X is going back to the distributor .They said there is a special file from korg that will reset the keyboard completely.
My biggest fear is if this could be a hardware problem.....
Reference to possibly being a hardware problem was the initial thinking from Korg when my 1st Pa4X was replaced but now with continuing problems with the replacement PA4X we are still in the dark as what the root cause could be? I can only imagine korg would of done an autopsy on the returned unit but the results are not know to me which im sure they are guarded about which I can understand , but it still feels like for those of us experiencing these problems we are still swimming in the sea after are boat capsized while waiting for the coast guard (korg) to come and rescue us..... I'm a strong swimmer korg ...6 miles per week in a swimming poole... but for how long in these set of circumstance are we expected to keep swimming I wonder? Hopefully my dealer will phone with some positive news this week who korg should thank for his diplomacy on there behalf (nice chap) .

Last edited by D575 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
mstodola

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! Confused Then you really do need Korg to fix this one. Others are not having your problems so it's definitely not the software.

When the unit boots, it goes through a POST (Power on Self Test) which monitors the bus making sure that all the peripherals work. If it locks at this time it is some peripheral that is at issue (like my microSSD card). If it locks up in the middle of a process, after it has already booted (like songbook) then it is usually something to do with memory or the memory bus. It could be a bad memory register(bit) which sends the process into never never land (locks up). Or it could be something the process (ex. songbook) is accessing that is not monitored during POST.

The only other thing it could be is a bad noisy power supply which could randomly create just enough noise to cause random booting problems (locking up) and/or read/write problems which could cause processes to be sent to the wrong place in memory(locking up).

I don't know if this helps but this is how the repair engineer thinks about it (how things work). It might seem cryptic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: