Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Solved] Korg DSS-1 No sound left output and headphone jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acemonvw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Korg DSS-1 No sound left output and headphone jack Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Last night I acquired a Korg DSS-1. When testing out the sound via the headphones, I noticed that there was no sound coming from the left headphone speaker. I then plugged the headphones into the right output and I could hear it just fine. Then I plugged the headphones into the left output and heard nothing.

When I plugged the left output into my mixer and turned the volume way up - I could hear it - meaning a signal seems to go to that output.

I see this thread (below) that talks about something like this in regards to the Korg Trinity, but I don't know if that really translates to this device. Can anyone help? Thanks

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3556

Last edited by acemonvw on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
acemonvw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote to Tom Virostek, who, if you don't know him he's runs Straylight Engineering and has made boards in the past to upgrade the DSS-1, said:

Quote:
A common fault is that the front panel volume slider goes bad. Both the headphones and left output are fed from this volume slider. You could try using some spray contact cleaner (test it first to see that it doesn’t damage plastic) and exercise the slider to see if it comes back. The slider itself is available from Mouser electronics,

Failing that it could be Digital Delay #1 or the cabling associated with it. One of the internal connectors could have disconnected in shipping, or the board itself could be bad.

I forgot to mention that Digital Delay 1 doesn't work - so I'm thinking it might be related to this, but will first test the volume slider (which won't resolve the DD1 unfortunately).
acemonvw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another additional note. If you have the Korg DSS-1 and need to replace the volume slider (or whatever its called: volume potentiometer), Tom said that this is the product number:

Quote:
ALPS part, Mouser’s number is 688-RS30112AC00J

acemonvw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more documentation - If you go to page 13 in the service manual, you will see that the sound feeds into both the digital delay 1 (DD1) and digital delay 2 (DD2). DD1 then goes to output L and DD2 goes to output R. From there, the sound is then fed to the headphones amp.

So if I hear something coming through output R and the Right headphones, and I can faintly hear DD1 through the L headphones, then I know the issues are related (most likely) to the volume potentiometer.

The first thing to test is resoldering the volume potentiometer - I tried this and it did nothing to fix the issue. So I have purchased a new Volume Pot (see above post) and will get back to this issue afterwards.

The next thing to check would be the left output jack, because the signal seems to pass through that to the headphones jack.

I'll report back once the new Pot is soldered in.
acemonvw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!

Replacing the volume potentiometer fixed the issue, now both the L and R channels produce sound and the headphones work as expected.

Also, the DD1 can be heard. It is interesting that DD1 goes only through the left output, but I think that helps produce more interesting delay (since DD2 can go through the right side only).

It's really an incredible synth - I can't believe how cheap these things are (got mine last week for $120)!
brettb12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue but with the right channel. Except there is no sound at all except a pop on both channels when power up. Synth only plays sound out of the right channel. I hear no delay 2. I ordered the part noted from mouser. Sound like mine has the same issue? I know someone mentioned the delay could be bad. Which board is the delay board?
acemonvw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi brettb12 -

Unfortunately I'm the only person who posted in this thread (besides you) and have very limited knowledge on the subject. I would certainly start with the part from mouser and replace it. If that works then you have nothing else to worry about.

This appears to be the delay board, if that turns out to be the issue, looks like there are 3 in stock at $70/unit: https://syntaur.com/Items.php?Item=2050
brettb12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
brettb12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous owner was right. Delay 2 board connection was loose from shipping Visually looked and felt connected but I pushed it in tight and right channel came back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: