Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distortion issue Volca beats and Steinberg UR44

View previous topic :: View next topic  
run2hype

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Distortion issue Volca beats and Steinberg UR44 Reply with quote

Hi there, sorry in advance I'm new to all this and I try to explain my issues as good as possible.

I have a Korg Volca Beats (brand new) battery powered at the moment. I run this with a new Hosa CMS-105 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS Stereo Interconnect Cable -5ft into my new Steinberg UR 44.

What I noticed is:
When I connect the volca beats in on of the MIC/Hi-Z inputs(1 or 2) on the front of my UR44 (which is powered through the original 12V AC/DC adapter) I get a very strange distortion sound instead of the kick sound. I tried multiple cables (same kind same brand) and I always get the same distortion sound. When I then plug in my sennheiser HD 25 headphones in to the output jack of the volca beats evreything seems to sound normal. Also i noticed that this issue only happens with the kick, all the other sounds seem to sound okay.
I tried then to hook up the volca beats through my old Komplete Audio 6 which is only bus powered and everything sounds correct. (no volume issues no distortion)

When I then connect it to the MIC/Line input (3 or 4) the signal is very very quiet and I have to turn up the input gain until I hear more noise than the actual drum sounds BUT the sounds sound kinda normal (disregarding the noise)

That got me thinking of some power/grounding/earth issues within the house I live in. So I took the whole setup to another place and again I get the same distortion sound - ONLY on the kick.

I hope this makes sense to you guys. I really appreciate every help I can get with this.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Lars
CraigTumps

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have the same setup. First of all don't plug it in to the MIC/Hi-Z inputs. In the manual it says not to put line level instruments/synths in to there.

I use line 5 and 6 for my Volca. In the UR44 mixer there is an option to configure the gain between “+4 dBu” and“-10 dBV”. Toggle that to see if it helps.

I also need to increase the volume quite high to get it sounding nice but thats ok. It says in the manual that when the Peak light is just beginning to light up then that is the optimum gain level. So a slightly flashing Peak light is a good thing not a bad thing.

Lastly check your cables. Remember it should be mono TRS cables. I had trouble when using stereo ones (I think the stereo jacks confuse the UR44 that its a balanced cable when its not). I bought this cable and it works a treat. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZKM3SHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In reality you can just use one mono line input as the Volca is mono but I think it still sounds better with dual mono for whatever reason! It seems to have some kind of ever so slight stereo phasing. Maybe its just from latency I dont know, Im not a scientist, but I like it!

I also have this cable, it works for one single mono input. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TSA1RFA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jeftones

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would agree with checking for the proper cable. the volcas send a dual mono channel and a trs to interconnected trs, is not the right cable. i personally use hosa cmp-135 3.5 mm trs to dual 1/4 ts which works fine but occupies two inputs on the mixer. a cable for utilizing a single input for the volcas would be hosa cmp-105 1/4 ts to 3.5mm trs mono interconnected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: