Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nord Stage 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S3 compact is being advertised in the UK at £3049(Sterling) which is a high premium for the cheapest in the range,currently the Stage 2 EX 88 is still being sold at £2900,so I would expect to see a price drop on those models soon in order to clear old stocks,I would also think the actual price of the S3 will be lower than what stores are advertising them currently when it actually hits the shops its a rather inflated price at £3049 and a massive premium to pay.

I'm a Stage 2 88 Owner,I like the updates of the MK3 but it's not enough to make me jump ship straight away,and judging by the word on the Nord Forums there are many Other S2 owners who feel the same,There hasn't been much word on whether the S3 and S2 have direct sound file transfer so I guess that would be a massive deal breaker for many existing Stage 2 Owners planning to upgrade,I think it would be foolish for Nord to not allow file transfer or at least a convertor editor,as I expect a large portion of the sales of the S3 would come from users hoping to upgrade.

To me Nord command a high price because they pretty much had the market to themselves for this type of all in one Instrument for a long time,But I think they are going to have to rethink things due to the recent other additions coming onto the Market from Roland and Korg.

The Stage Keyboards have a good following though,I see a lot of other keys players using them Live in the UK either a Stage or an Electro model,there's no doubt they are a great Instrument they are superb live tools and there is very little that comes close to the Nords for ease of use and tailoring the instruments to your needs with very little fuss to setup.

They are pretty lightweight too for the gigging musician but they perhaps are not the best sounding sample Libraries in comparison to other high end workstations/Synths,(i.e. Kronos)If your particular about the Sound Quality.

I think there is always going to be a compromise with the Nords in that respect but most users I'm aware of are happy enough with the Sound libraries and buy into the Stage/Electro for the all in one instrument/ease of use aspect mostly.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a casual thought, but I sense these MI cos are pushing the envelope
on price, out of the gate.

While dealers will discount, that is a rocky road for them getting allocation of inventory refresh.

I can share with you that the retailers/dealers that stick closely to MSRP get top ranking for future allocation.

Dealers that do cost plus 5% often find themselves at the back of the line for getting hot new product.

So much for that inside baseball stuff.

Yamaha also charged a premium for the Montage. IMO, that is 1 over priced board. Obviously, the new Nord stage is a premium price.

I can't find anything on the price of the new Korg stage piano. I suspect thats not under $3000

The Korg K2 pricing does not exactly fit into this side debate because the model is essentially + 5 yrs old.

Maybe its not a trend, I just see a few desirable new keyboards as being over the top for price vs value
keego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland RD2000 retails at £2119. Will be interesting to see what the Korg Grandstage retails at when/if it is released.

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
skinmechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Stage 2 EX88 for a few weeks, it had an excellent keybed and built very very well. The problem with Nord is they haven't done anything worth looking at as different since the Lead X2, the Lead 4 sounded nice and so does the A1 but they haven't moved forward. They are overpriced but built very well (The Stage).
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice see they added the A1 synth to the new Stage. Understandable current Stage owners aren't going to upgrade because if complex synthesizer sounds are an important component of their gig they probably are using something else in addition to the Stage.

In gigging bands i.e. paid gigs where I'm playing bass guitar, all of the keyboard players including subs are using either a Stage or Electro 5D as their primary instrument. It didn't happen overnight but the shift to Nord happened very quickly. When you are making $250+ a night it doesn't take long to recoup your $4k investment.

What I appreciate about the Nord sound is it blends very nicely in the live environment.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinmechanic wrote:
I had the Stage 2 EX88 for a few weeks, it had an excellent keybed and built very very well. The problem with Nord is they haven't done anything worth looking at as different since the Lead X2, the Lead 4 sounded nice and so does the A1 but they haven't moved forward. They are overpriced but built very well (The Stage).

And what keyboard company has moved forward?

KRonos is essentially more then 10 years old technollogy

Montage is still the same old same..

Even the RD2000 from Roland is an RD800 with added V-piano sounds...and some sliders

All these hardware companies do, is rebranding their current technollogy..

True innovation, is in the software side...

Have a look at Form from Native instruments..
Or just look what Spectrasonics did with the integration between Keyscape and Omnisphere 2

If you want innovation, you will not find it in hardware...

The question is, what keyboard is best to drive your VST collection... well, let me tell you that this is where the Nord hopelessly fails.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's why you see so many laptops with Seaboards on stage, instead of Nords.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I guess that's why you see so many laptops with Seaboards on stage, instead of Nords.

Just read the last line again.... and you will realise why you dont see any laptops on stage. ( and seaboard is a horrible option for people playing traditional keys).

If someone makes a Hardware keyboard with a remote VST host that gives the user the functionallity and tools of a kronos... we are off to a start...

Even the highly aclaimed NI kontrol S keyboards are created with studio work in mind, and not live playing...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly why you don't see as many laptops as Nords on Stage. Because live players prefer simplicity, a lightning fast unified interface and playable sounds over lots of options that might sound better in some circumstances. The VST system has a long way to go before it reaches even the same level as the Kronos for live use, let alone that of Nord keyboards.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I know exactly why you don't see as many laptops as Nords on Stage. Because live players prefer simplicity, a lightning fast unified interface and playable sounds over lots of options that might sound better in some circumstances. The VST system has a long way to go before it reaches even the same level as the Kronos for live use, let alone that of Nord keyboards.

True....

But then a major step in innovation could be just around the corner...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll believe it when I see it Smile
Even major companies like NI and Akai are not anywhere near Kronos levels of "instant use". Specialized software companies like Brainspawn and Cantabile are even further behind.

I would love for this to happen but I think the trade-off between instant usability and high quality sound will exist for quite some time still.

I say that while owning plenty of VSTs that could replace all Kronos functionality, running on very recent high end hardware. There is just no way I can turn it all on and have over 3000 sounds ready to play within 2 minutes, with 9 easily combinable/splittable engines and 16 fx processors all from a single GUI.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it Smile
Even major companies like NI and Akai are not anywhere near Kronos levels of "instant use". Specialized software companies like Brainspawn and Cantabile are even further behind.

I would love for this to happen but I think the trade-off between instant usability and high quality sound will exist for quite some time still.

I say that while owning plenty of VSTs that could replace all Kronos functionality, running on very recent high end hardware. There is just no way I can turn it all on and have over 3000 sounds ready to play within 2 minutes, with 9 easily combinable/splittable engines and 16 fx processors all from a single GUI.

If NI adds maschine and the sliders of the machine jam to their kontrol keyboards... they are pretty close to the Kronos... in functionallity..

But it indeed needs carefull planning and preloading ... i agree with you on the kronos.. and thats why its still by far the best to use VST's next to a Kronos, or whatever high end hardware soundsource...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda close in the amount of available controllers, maybe halfway close in pre mapping them in a consistent way. I have no doubt that MainStage and its competitors are gig worthy an sich, I've even gigged with it. I'm just saying, for all the flak Kronos gets for being a closed system on low level hardware (by current standards), all these wonderful VSTs running on state of the art systems are still not close to becoming a true alternative when it comes to speed and ease of working in a live context. I'm running one of the fastest SSDs on the market at the moment, and one of the fastest mainstream CPUs, on Windows 10 which boots faster than any Windows before, yet I get nowhere near Kronos levels of performance if I want to boot and have something similar to the Kronos ready to play.

I don't even see how traditional VST architecture allows for something like seamless sound combi switching, something the Kronos does in a fraction of a second. Do you realize you can have 8 PolySixes, 4 HD1s, an SGX-2 and three MS20s (including sixteen fx) switch to any other combination of the 9 engines in a fraction of a second? How would that even work in VST land? Would I need to have 16 Massives loaded at all time on the off chance that I might need a few in a combination? Or sixteen Kontakts just with strings, then sixteen with piano (just one piano!), etc.

I'm sure there are some workarounds but I don't think we're even remotely close to "similar performance".
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Kinda close in the amount of available controllers, maybe halfway close in pre mapping them in a consistent way. I have no doubt that MainStage and its competitors are gig worthy an sich, I've even gigged with it. I'm just saying, for all the flak Kronos gets for being a closed system on low level hardware (by current standards), all these wonderful VSTs running on state of the art systems are still not close to becoming a true alternative when it comes to speed and ease of working in a live context. I'm running one of the fastest SSDs on the market at the moment, and one of the fastest mainstream CPUs, on Windows 10 which boots faster than any Windows before, yet I get nowhere near Kronos levels of performance if I want to boot and have something similar to the Kronos ready to play.

I don't even see how traditional VST architecture allows for something like seamless sound combi switching, something the Kronos does in a fraction of a second. Do you realize you can have 8 PolySixes, 4 HD1s, an SGX-2 and three MS20s (including sixteen fx) switch to any other combination of the 9 engines in a fraction of a second? How would that even work in VST land? Would I need to have 16 Massives loaded at all time on the off chance that I might need a few in a combination? Or sixteen Kontakts just with strings, then sixteen with piano (just one piano!), etc.

I'm sure there are some workarounds but I don't think we're even remotely close to "similar performance".

First off, i love my Kronos... true, i am the type of person that allways sees room for improvement.. But i am also someone that can enjoy what he has..

If you ask me what single thing i would change to the Kronos... i would ask for the sliders and endless encoders of the Oasys/Montage/RD2000.. with the ledlight indicators. and maybe a little more freedom assigning the knobs..

For the rest, i love indeed the broadness and diversity of its sounds and options. and its okay as a controller for mainstage ... giving me the best of both worlds..

It indeed currently offers all the advantages you described and more...

Yet still my mind keeps wondering where and how to improve on this concept in the future, i am probably the strange duck in the pound, allways more engineer then musician.. which reflects in my opinions..

And the Newswebsite/Forum i run at www.keyszone.boards.net which probably reflects my interests even more

But as a musician, i am still very very happy with my current setup... Kronos, pa4x, Mainstage setup.. (true, i would love to see all those capabilities in a single 88 key instrument) .. but looking at that setup, i indeed would only change 2 things... the controllers as described above and having NKS support from aboard of the Kronos.

And then.. if i had all of that in a singel instrument, i would probably add a Nord stage 3 to it...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have hopes and I have dreamt similar dreams. I just think the issue is a lot more complicated than it might seem at first sight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: