Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yes inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame ... Kronos/ModelD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Yes inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame ... Kronos/ModelD Reply with quote

Kronos and ModelD sound awesome as Yes is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-NsnlPc54
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that.

Jon Anderson is tremendous. I admire him completely.

I like Ricks additional parts on the tune. Love it.

and that Kronos... YEAH BABY ! YEAH !
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time they were inducted! Shocked

I saw it a few weeks ago and it was interesting that they had Geddy Lee playing bass (probably side stepped the issue of which bass player from the two factions should have appeared).

I saw ARW on their recent tour. Not bad, but not classic Yes. Trevor Rabin is a brilliant rock guitarist, but he just does not have the same style as Steve Howe, so I felt a lot was missing on the guitar front. Wakeman was brilliant, and Anderson was still singing as high as ever. Kudos to to the excellent Lee Pomery on bass duties. Replacing Squire is a hard act to follow.

And Wakeman of course had not one, but two Kronos in amongst everything else. He also had a Montage, Fantom X8 and two MiniMoogs.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still seem to be able to knock out a tune Smile
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are still pretty tidy. ARW put on a good show, and on a scale of 0-10 where 10 is great musicianship then they would have scored 10, but as I said, IMO, they missed Howe's unique style.

We need a Union again. Wink

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had NO idea that Rick Wakeman was a natural stand-up, his acceptance speech was HILARIOUS!!! Check it out here at 13:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyOm8WVJIRA
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We had NO idea that Rick Wakeman was a natural stand-up, his acceptance speech was HILARIOUS!!! Check it out here at 13:50

Rick was featured on a comedy show called "Grumpy Old Men" quite a while ago - hilarious - he is a funny guy!!!

Here's one episode of the series.... https://youtu.be/NyByBORmtH0

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked On Sonics wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyOm8WVJIRA

Rick is a natural comedian. I like the last surgical procedure quip the best Smile

On his "Journey..." 40th anniversary tour he did a small stand up section and solo piano before the main album rendition and had us in stitches with statements like "my third wife divorced me as I wouldn't open the car door for her.......... well, I was swimming for the surface at the time...."

In the ARW tour guide, he was obviously a hand in gems such as

From the "fun quiz" section

Quote:
If Jon has had half the number of wives that Rick has had, but twice as many as Trevor.... then how much has Rick had to pay out in alimony over the past 40 years?

In our drummer's name, Louie Morino III... the third (III) actually means:
a) his father (Louise) and Grandfather (Louie II) [SIC] were too lazy to give him his own name
b) He has three of something that most men only have two of
c) He has never come first or second in anything.

From the "Management" section:

Quote:
Brian "Deal a Day" Lane, has a phenomenal memory and even claims he can remember the first time he had sex, which apparently wasn't very good at all as he was on his own....

(hmmm - seems like the last one was recycled in the speech!)

Grumpy old men was a hoot and he is regularly on panel quiz shows over here.

And he has a column in prog magazine.

All round genius....

My Echoes Music Website
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Rick Wakeman own a Stand Up Comedy club at one stage (seriously!).

I've never been into Yes - no reason - just he way the dice rolled when I was getting into music - but I hugely admire them. And love Rick Wakeman's music (check out his album White Rock - it's a masterpiece of Moog performance based composition).

I equally like Jon Anderson from his Jon and Vangelis work.

I genuinely believe Jon Anderson is one of the most sophisticated musicians of our generations - (including musicians across all genres in that comparison). What I find utterly incomprehensible is the scale of his thinking - some how, verbally, he works on truly "symphonic" scales. He interconnects and develops ideas through words in a very similar manner to a symphonist. I believe that the form, structure and coherence of Yes's and Jon & Vangelis's longest works are largely due to Jon Anderson's abilities in this regard. I genuinely believe that had been a classical composer he'd be one to the most influential symphonists of our time. His capacity for imaginative and abstract though are equally far-reaching. A truly astounding musician.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Didn't Rick Wakeman own a Stand Up Comedy club at one stage (seriously!).

I've never been into Yes - no reason - just he way the dice rolled when I was getting into music - but I hugely admire them. And love Rick Wakeman's music (check out his album White Rock - it's a masterpiece of Moog performance based composition).

I equally like Jon Anderson from his Jon and Vangelis work.

I genuinely believe Jon Anderson is one of the most sophisticated musicians of our generations - (including musicians across all genres in that comparison). What I find utterly incomprehensible is the scale of his thinking - some how, verbally, he works on truly "symphonic" scales. He interconnects and develops ideas through words in a very similar manner to a symphonist. I believe that the form, structure and coherence of Yes's and Jon & Vangelis's longest works are largely due to Jon Anderson's abilities in this regard. I genuinely believe that had been a classical composer he'd be one to the most influential symphonists of our time. His capacity for imaginative and abstract though are equally far-reaching. A truly astounding musician.

Quite true. I can't be interested in Yes without Jon Anderson..... or Chris Squire or Steve Howe or Rik Wakeman (Alan White or Bill Bruford as drummer, I don't mind), but Jon had the vision and his approach to music and words is quite unique - Olias of Sunhillow is a classic example.

Also I would recommend anybody to check out the recent Anderson/Stolt (Rhoine Stolt) collaboration. This is how Yes should sound today.

My Echoes Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: