Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos X not working with Imac (Late 2013)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeno_M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Kronos X not working with Imac (Late 2013)? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'am a newbie to this forum. I have a Kronos X, and now I have bought an Apple Mac Book, with Logic Pro X in addition.

Unfortunately, the Kronos can't communicate properly with the iMac via USB. The device is properly detected and can be selected in the devices menu, in the Audio Midi Setup and in Logic, However, the communication in both directions is not working properly , especially for audio signals. From Kronos to the iMac, they are usually completely overdriven and distorted. The other way around, audio from the imac to the Kronos suffers from severe dropouts. However, the symptomps keep changing, and I was even able to work with audio for a short period of time (what I had posted earlier in this forum), without having changed anything. After starting the devices again the next day, all was back to normal (not working) and so it has been ever since.
Midi data is transmitted ok, but sometimes with significant latency.

Searching the internet, I have learned that there are similar issues with a lot of USB 2.0 audio interfaces and the USB 3.0 which the new iMacs offer. So I guess the problem may be related solely to the iMac. So I called Apple support. So far they couldn't solve the problem and asked me to check with Korg. While I am waiting for Korg's reply, I wanted to ask, if anybody could give me a hint how to resolve things? Also, are there any people who work with Kronos and a late 2013 iMac, possibly with the Maverick OS?

What I have tried so far: Set the iMac back. Download the latest Kronos firmware (version 2.1.1. ) and drivers ( Korg_USB MIDI Driver_1.0.7_For_Mac ) . The device is recognized by the iMac as audio and as a midi device. The sample rate is set to 48,000 Hz everywhere. I've tried with another USB cable. Likewise, I have tried to use a USB hub between the two devices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

System configuration:
Kronos X V. 2.1.1.
iMac 27 '' , Late 2013 , 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR 3 , OS X 10.9.1. The iMac doesn't have a fusion drive.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet is that OS X 10.9.2 will fix your problem, should be released soon.
wango

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos X not working with Imac (Late 2013)? Reply with quote

Quote:
What I have tried so far: Set the iMac back. Download the latest Kronos firmware (version 2.1.1. ) and drivers ( Korg_USB MIDI Driver_1.0.7_For_Mac )

Install the latest midi driver from here:
http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=638

Also, Maverick is not listed on korg's compatibility chart

Best regards
Ab
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had some problems with audio recording with the later iMac....running mountain lion though.
Previously had a mid 2011 iMac running lion and audio recording via cubase worked a treat,that is until the iMac power supply failed (currently pending a repair).
I've since bought the later model etc.

You mention that all the settings are the same everywhere,which is good of course,but what about the bit rate settings…..are they the same ?
Also,is there a means to choose the buffer settings in your DAW ?
(Cubase has this and it can make a huge difference).

I have noticed that the audio midi settings on the iMac can sometimes change and needs checking again.
(Possibly due to the hardware not being present or "on" prior to DAW usage….??).

Another test you can try is to use Audacity software for comparison…..again,this should work for usb audio recording.
I'm lucky enough to have an alternative usb audio input (Alesis M1 Active 520 usb) to use,which works fine,albeit at 16 bit instead of 24bit etc.
Obviously it's recording the line audio from the Kronos,but it proves the imac can record usb audio,(via the Alesis).

By the way,there should not be any detectable latency with midi at all,be it usb or the 5 pin din route.(Technically there is some delay,but should not be heard).

Good Luck.
Zeno_M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

thank you very much for your suggestions!

This morning I started off with the first advice: download the driver from the korg.com website (as opposed to korg.de which I used earlier and which is the official Korg site of my country). Mac was complaining that newer software had already been installed, but ok. Rebooted. And say what, currently audio is working fine. Midi seems to be a bit off sync sometime when Karma is involved, but that's probably another issue.

I'm not sure if the solution is really that easy or if it's just that the devices have a good day today (as I wrote audio had worked already for a short time). So I am still concerned but I don't want to switch off anything right now.

I will report how things continue.

Thanks again!

(btw: according to the compatibility list Kronos should work with Mavericks)
Zeno_M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a short time all is back to normal... Crying or Very sad

It's 24 bits everywhere. Changing the buffer size did not change a thing. Tried Audacity, same problems here, although I think it's a bit more stable.

Not sure what to do next. Probably I will take the Kronos to the dealer to check if USB is generally working.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a problem in 10.9.1 with USB audio devices.

The upcoming 10.9.2 release fixes this issue, this has currently been tested in beta form and fixes most issues with USB audio devices and the iMac.

My guess is that it will solve your problem.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input BobTheDog,interesting information.

Is there any further info on this at all ?
I would like to find out more about it.

Best Wishes.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
Thanks for your input BobTheDog,interesting information.

Is there any further info on this at all ?
I would like to find out more about it.

Best Wishes.

Have a look here http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/877537-potential-audio-problem-new-imacs.html

Look at the last couple of pages.
Zeno_M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro, it doesn't give us much comfort but a lot of people using USB 2.0 interfaces seem to have trouble with the new iMac. Further reading is provided here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5428602?start=0&tstart=0 or, the summary at https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6421. The latter one doesn't really give me hope, though.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for the links....a lot of reading on the problems.

As said in a previous post,Kronos usb audio recording worked with my older imac running lion,cubase and using the agregate settings etc.
My new imac has changed in both hardware and the os which seems to be causing some problems for many,not only for using with the Kronos,but other hardware as well.

Unfortunately I can't install the lion os onto the new imac(this is an apple "wisdom" restraint) and I haven't repaired my older one,yet.

Although the Kronos may have an internal midi/usb fault,it does work with windows xp via cubase/asio4all etc.which indicates the problem may be with the imac.
I am confused though,as the imac works fine with a different usb audio input.(Alesis M1Active 520 usb).

By comparison,a test I did some time ago with my older imac,the Kronos usb audio seemed to be a lot better(being 24 bit probably helped together with a really healthy output).
So,given a choice I would prefer the Kronos usb audio route.....after all,that is what it's there for and according to Korg,reported from a previous poster,the Kronos/imac combination is what "professional" musicians use the most.....isn't it ? Very Happy

The question remains......Why are some having such problems ?

When trying to record the Kronos usb audio via cubase or audacity,it does indicate a sort of "feedback loop" of sorts,but where from ?
Applying various settings to the imac sound control(things like the volume control,the microphone and selected inputs/outputs etc) did improve things short term,but eventually the problem re occured.

I've also tried the various Kronos drivers,including older ones,but without success.

My Kronos is going for repair next week(yes Bob....to Korg UK.... Wink )so,if they return it as being good etc and the usb audio recording remains the same,it may indicate the problem is imac related.

If Zeno_M does the same,we may get closer to answers......maybe...??

Oh well,the saga continues then.

Best Wishes.
Dokter123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you turned off local control in the Korg?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the issues have to do with the USB firmware on the iMac. Some audio devices may be fine, better, or worse. If you have one that works well, I'd recommend simply using that to record the Kronos. It's not very convenient to use the Kronos as USB recording device anyway, because the USB output always mirrors the main L/R output, seriously hampering routing abilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: