Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I connect a keyboard to an amplifier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjaminisaacs95

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: How do I connect a keyboard to an amplifier Reply with quote

I know this may seem a bit of a noob question, but I'm a guitarist and never used a keyboard before, is it as simple as connecting a guitar to an amplifier, so I just plug straight into the keyboard jack to the amplifier jack or is it more complicated?

here is the keyboard and amp I have in mind

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/roland-kc-550/5828

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/korg-kronos-2-music-workstation-88/107049

Is there any cables I need specifically for this? sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really any more complicated. The keyboard output level is basically Line level, so is quite a bit higher level than that from a guitar. The Line-ins on the KC-550 would be suitable for this. For a single KC-550 the L/Mono output from the Kronos to the KC-550's Channel 2 or 3 L/Mono input would be the only connection required between the two, using an ordinary audio cable with 1/4" TS (tip sleeve) type jacks at each end.

Something worth bearing in mind is that the Kronos sounds are, on the most part stereo, or come from mono sources that have been put through internal effects that essentially have stereo outputs, and much of that stereo "goodness" will be lost in going back to mono. This would be especially noticeable with the Kronos' acoustic pianos, which can sound quite thin when listened to through a mono audio chain.

The solution would be to route in addition the Kronos' R Line-out to the R Line-in on the KC-550 (i.e. two audio cables required) and use a second KC-550, connected to the first speaker via a single audio cable (i.e. three audio cables in total), using the "Stereo Link" connection marked "Out" on the first speaker to the one marked "In" on the second speaker, to enable stereo sound to be heard from the speakers, and get the full benefit of the Kronos.

The guitar can be connected to the Channel 1 input on the main speaker, although it could be connected instead, to one of the audio ins on the Kronos, and passed through the Kronos' effects chain, and then passed to the speakers via the audio cables between the Kronos and the KC-550.

The video in the link below shows some of the possibilities with a guitar and a Kronos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7ctQ8qgA8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Audio / Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: