Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Losing Polyphony?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Losing Polyphony? Reply with quote

On a few of the big band styles, I seem to be losing polyphony big time.

I'm playing piano in right had, Dark Pad with fingered chords on the left and when I switch to Brass and play 4 note chords in the right hand, I'm dropping notes like crazy.

Is there a setting or is sound stealing going on?
ozdaniel(AD)
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing Polyphony? Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:

I'm playing piano in right had, Dark Pad with fingered chords on the left and when I switch to Brass and play 4 note chords in the right hand, I'm dropping notes like crazy.

The problem is definitely out of set-up!
Please check LOWER settings via MENU-Track Controls- Sound Edit and everything must by on zero and if it is not, please click on Reset Track to come to zero or look at MODE on track LOWER not to be Mono, must be on Poly mode! Good luck
PS: It's the first time I hear that a Pa4x has problems with polyphony ... that's impossible!!!
128 polyphony on each oscillator (layer) per millisecond, it is impossible for a human being to kneel the Pa4x !!!! Rolling Eyes

Regards
Daniel
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed polyphony stealing on occasions and discussed this here before ...
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, I had Polyphony issue with 3/4 style (ex; factory style Waltz) when using strings (with Ensemble ON) in the past.
I just gave up to follow up and troubleshooting.
I notices this issue since Korg Pa1X.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ensemble is the trigger for me also, the modem arranger is a powerful tool especially the PA4X... it's just a shame we are missing some horsepower here at times i would expect the PA5X to be double next time, as that is the general rule of thumb when you see increases in polyphony when product lines evolve....
robkeith

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
Yes ensemble is the trigger for me also, the modem arranger is a powerful tool especially the PA4X... it's just a shame we are missing some horsepower here at times i would expect the PA5X to be double next time, as that is the general rule of thumb when you see increases in polyphony when product lines evolve....

I will say this Korg, if the issues discussed here re improvements and fixes are not addressed before the PA5X is upon us. I will not be buying it, and be very annoyed and upset to be left with an unfinished and unimproved product.

What is the delay in fixing and improving the PA4X?. Are you waiting for the next iteration from Yamaha?, please don't, it's been way too long now since release for this keyboard to be released from it's shackles.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing Polyphony? Reply with quote

ozdaniel(AD) wrote:
kbrkr wrote:

The problem is definitely out of set-up!
Please check LOWER settings via MENU-Track Controls- Sound Edit and everything must by on zero and if it is not, please click on Reset Track to come to zero or look at MODE on track LOWER not to be Mono, must be on Poly mode! Good luck
PS: It's the first time I hear that a Pa4x has problems with polyphony ... that's impossible!!!
128 polyphony on each oscillator (layer) per millisecond, it is impossible for a human being to kneel the Pa4x !!!! Rolling Eyes

Regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. My settings are, in fact, exactly as you describe Zero and Poly. This rules out the settings variable.

I'm not playing with Ensemble either, so this is straight Style play.

I don't get it, 128 note poyphony should be adequate for what I'm playing.
ozdaniel(AD)
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will never achieve concrete results if we do not come up with examples like the name of that style, what sounds are allocated to UPPER's and LOWER,
what functions in GLOBAL MODE are selected when playing that style!
KORG Pa4x is an extremely powerful tool, but we also need to know some of the possible working elements! Problems can come from multiple elements of knowledge, and here they can give examples; The ROM or RAM sound source, then building the multisamplers in OSC's and so on, we can continue...
Please give examples with style names and sounds used to make tests, so we can solve these problems!
Personally I have not encountered such polyphony issues and in many cases, i use complicated style as a construction, plus all 4 Pad's, plus 3 Uppers and Lower, plus TC Helicon and I have never had problems with polyphony!
I do not want to think these problems are invented by competitors ...Lately I have seen that they have invaded this forum! Smile
KORG can fix anything but, we have to come up with exact examples to avoid being suspected of sabotage.

Regards
Daniel
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozdaniel(AD) wrote:

I do not want to think these problems are invented by competitors ...Lately I have seen that they have invaded this forum! Smile
KORG can fix anything but, we have to come up with exact examples to avoid being suspected of sabotage.

Regards
Daniel
Daniel I'm not quite sure who this comment is directed at ??? ......considering this thread so far for just one moment and just soposing you had me in mind and I'm sure you did not???.......But for the purposes of clarity here this statement would be considered a gross misrepresentation of myself D575 and my comments are genuine and real.....I am real and owning a PA4X is real..... I do not work for any competitors of korg....so for the record..... I am a time served fully trained and qualified boat Builder since 1989 who trained and still works with a very prestigious name in the Marine Industry in the UK . Confused
ozdaniel(AD)
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
ozdaniel(AD) wrote:

Regards
Daniel
Daniel I'm not quite sure who this comment is directed at ??? ......considering this thread so far for just one moment and just soposing you had me in mind and I'm sure you did not???.......But for the purposes of clarity here this statement would be considered a gross misrepresentation of myself D575 and my comments are genuine and real.....I am real and owning a PA4X is real..... I do not work for any competitors of korg....so for the record..... I am a time served fully trained and qualified boat Builder since 1989 who trained and still works with a very prestigious name in the Marine Industry in the UK . Confused

Unfortunately, you only took the less constructive part and I did not refer to anyone but we who understand the korg work system can not keep silent about some inadequacies! 90% of the reported issues are due by users are unreal, so I suggested you come up with concrete examples like;
"Hello guys, today I played with Style X and with Sax Y on Upper 1 and Pa4x lost polyphony " Laughing
I hope this time you understand what I meant....
PS:Music and Korg are just a hobby, I also have a real job in my company, appreciated in Australia !!

Regards
Daniel
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
90% of the reported issues are due to users

This is possibly very true (and I am guilty of this too!!).
I would seriously love to assist with some of the reported problems but there is rarely enough "user background information" to go on.
Several of the "bugs" youtube videos clearly show the problems but never the background.
Analysing any technical problem really needs some detailed explanation.

For example if you have a PA4X problem which clearly does not conflict with the product's specifications (and manual) and it is at base OS out-of-the-box level then it is very likely a bug.
When other data is loaded then the situation may change. This is the detail that is required when trying to analyse problems - I am NOT suggesting that it is NOT a bug.

I am always happy to receive "SETs" or whatever to try and help those with problems - at least see if I can re-create the problem etc.....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozdaniel(AD) wrote:
D575 wrote:
ozdaniel(AD) wrote:

Regards
Daniel

Unfortunately, you only took the less constructive part and I did not refer to anyone but we who understand the korg work system can not keep silent about some inadequacies! 90% of the reported issues are due by users are unreal, so I suggested you come up with concrete examples like;
"Hello guys, today I played with Style X and with Sax Y on Upper 1 and Pa4x lost polyphony " Laughing
PS:Music and Korg are just a hobby, I also have a real job in my company, appreciated in Australia !!

Regards
Daniel
historically I have provided all these deitals and this was also apparent on the pa3x as well as the pa4x what I am suggesting past and present that from my personal perspective this was not a BUG but more likely due to reason of design .
ozdaniel(AD)
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="D575"][quote="ozdaniel(AD)"]
D575 wrote:
...more likely due to reason of design .

Design related, please allow me to tell you something real and understand it as a joke!
30 years ago, I met the woman who was going to be my wife and she had a great design believe me! Now, after 30 years, what to do if I see other designs on the street?!?!
The solution came from her, she put me to learn her operating system and get used to what I have! The result is a full success! Smile
Everything is the experience...the bugs are solved only by KORG, only if reported correctly!

What do I want from the new operating system?
1. Let's have two Insert FX on each arranger track plus 3 Master FX
2. Let's have two Insert FX on each UPPER's and LOWER plus 3 Master FX
3. Functions with filters or DJ work possibilities
That's how we go to another level
Please check my last free Set, to understand what these Insert FXs are doing...
Peace brother and we are here to help understand the way KORG works.
Regards
Daniel
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ozdaniel(AD)"][quote="D575"]
ozdaniel(AD) wrote:

Regards
Daniel

Huh? Are you mocking my issue? I'm a pro musician entertaining live and have performed 100's of gigs with this keyboard. Sometimes you don't post on an issue because your busy doing other stuff and it finally becomes so annoying it really starts to become a problem.

Stop with your conspiracy theories, I have a real issue and need real answers. Move on if you have nothing else to contribute on this topic.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel I am sure you are a master at your craft and i look forward to try your work, thank you in advanced from me...so all I am trying to point out (historicity and currently) is in certain situations in style play mode and using only korg styles with korg sounds all korg supplied and with the use of the ensemble feature engaged this can in certain situations show the polyphony hitting it's limits this can happen in a number of ways according to which style is used in relation to the number of upper and lower parts that are used in relation to what upper parts have ensemble assigned, and this is very noticeable to me and other who have acknowledged this in the past (pa3x) and is also more apparent with some of the new or improved styles of the PA4X, but to say we should "Get use to what we have" (if this is what you may of been implying) then it is difficult to accept and understand when you would simply imagain with the advance of a new and improved model over its predecessor from the same company and where almost every aspect has improved in just about every area to then find the improvements are taking more of the same allocated polyphony seen over from a previous model ? it just strikes me Strange that if the the designers of the pa4x would of know that in certain situations according to a given combination that can be arranged at are disposable they would of not realised the increase needed in polyphony? I struggle to understand they did not think to improve the polyphony in accordance with the rest of the improved design surely this all comes hand in hand ? So unless this can be improved in the way of a software update some how ?? then this is where we are with this model what else can I say other than in many ways it is a really fantastic keyboard..it is just a shame we notice this over sight which in some but not all occasions really does get in the way.. just my humble opinion, so now Daniel I will explore your new set and thank you again Smile

Last edited by D575 on Sat May 13, 2017 4:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: