Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For $30 - $40 this thing is Steal for Kronos Users.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: For $30 - $40 this thing is Steal for Kronos Users. Reply with quote

Need some basic audio interface for PC/MAC that works with Kronos Optical SPDIF Read On

Here's the story,

I needed an audio interface for my iPad as I don't like plugging and unplugging cables from my other interface. I also wanted to use my Kronos Spdif inputs as I don't use usb for audio.

So I eventually ended up finding this Product : Behringer UCA222

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-Ultra-Low-Interface-Software/dp/B0023BYDHK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It's 16 bit, only upto 48k, etc, but for the price I decided to give it a shot, hell its cheaper than some cables I have. So, It arrived Plugged into computer. Downloaded ASIO Drivers from a third party, Plugged an optical toslink from its output into kronos input, routed them to L/R.

IT WORKED !!! Smile

++ Has worked with anything I threw at it,
iPad,PC,Laptop and even my Android Phone (Can play your backing tracks along with the other two Kronos analog inputs free for anything.)

So at Sample buffer of 128 I am getting no pops running Diva in Divine mode on my main PC that I built in 2011.

Pros :
+It's tiny, about same size as Cigarette pack.
+Works outta the box!!
+Works with Kronos SPDIF (YAY !!)
+44.1k,48K Samplerate
+Decent latency
+Has Standard RCA inputs

Cons:
- 16 bit only,Not an issue if you do proper gain staging)
- Behringer stopped distributing ASIO drivers and recommends ASIO 4 ALL Drivers, but I found them (original asio driver) online nevertheless.
- No Hardware input monitoring - i.e does not work in standalone mode.

at the price it's even worth buying as basic headphone amplifier or throw in as a backup audio device.

If you are looking for a cheap method to bring some external audio (VST/iPad,Phone) into Kronos along using mostly the unused SPDIF Optical ports, this is something that does work beautifully Smile

It costed me around USD 38.00. Well Worth every Cent!
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
navydave

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool. Do you think this would work to fix audio crackling, when running iPad synths apps back into the Kronos? That was a big issue when I tried running the audio of the iPad back into the Kronos via USB.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any issue yet, but I am using an iPad pro. It definitely should take care of things from Kronos end.

I ran Model 15, Arp odyssey and Nave simultaneously without any sound artifacts.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
navydave

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I shall have to try it. I have an iPad Pro also. The 9.7. The only issue would be, that the camera adapter kit, that I use to control the apps via midi (as a controller) would be taken up.
Thanks
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a powered USB 3 hub for that. Puts much less load on iPad and increases battery life by a ton.
navydave

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the new camera kit adapter where you can plug in the charger also. Should I still go with a powered hub or would one of these suffice?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3T2RAK/ref=twister_B071D2C8F9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Or one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-2-5A-power-adapter/dp/B00DQFGH80/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494599330&sr=1-3&keywords=powered+usb+hub

Last edited by navydave on Fri May 12, 2017 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of these and they work great.

There is a Youtube video where someone mods one to be a better quality DAC.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navydave wrote:
I already have the new camera kit adapter where you can plug in the charger also. Should I still go with a powered hub or would one of these suffice?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3T2RAK/ref=twister_B071D2C8F9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Or one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-2-5A-power-adapter/dp/B00DQFGH80/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494599330&sr=1-3&keywords=powered+usb+hub

I have the same usb3 camera adapter, however, the usb HUB is to power the other devices that you connect like this interface or any bus powered
devices.

the Amazon powered hub looks ok to me, however I use these hubs (I have 3-4 of them).

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-SuperSpeed-USB-TS-HUB3K/dp/B005D69QD8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494603997&sr=1-2&keywords=powered+usb+hub+3+transcend
navydave

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the tips.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
I have two of these and they work great.

There is a Youtube video where someone mods one to be a better quality DAC.

Nice, I might as well just get another of these too.

I took a look inside, and the chips are all SMD Sad
primary controller is TI2902, now if it could be swapped for TI2902B it could provide bi-directional ..Interesting.

Will try to look up the video you mentioned.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused. Does this also work with the iPad as an audio interface?
If so, then it is core audio compliant?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it's class compliant.
works with ipad and android as is.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update : So it uses 4558 (though not the same ones like the JRC4558's in vintage tube screamers) op-amps for Headphone and lines. They are cheap op-amps and surely can be improved / replaced with better ones from NEC or AD, even TI TLO72's might be a bit better.
Although I am Going to use SPDIF mainly so not much use to me, Just posting for anyone interested.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>yes, it's class compliant.
works with ipad and android as is.

WOW! I am getting it. Thanks for the tip!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4558 line is fine. I mean you can try and get Burr Brown chips, but it probably wouldn't make that much difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: