Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI Bass Split On Always Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taki

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: MIDI Bass Split On Always Question Reply with quote

Hello Everyone.. I have not totally given up on the bass sounds yet on the PA4X, but I have come across a stand-alone and DAW plugin called Modo Bass, that has much flexibility on it from physical modelling to the different bass types.

Since I play in a band sometimes without a bass player, I use my left hand to play bass on the PA4X.

But I would like to use MIDI to my laptop that has the this Modo Bass plugin instead of using the onboard bases of the PA4X.

Thus, I still would like to use the PA4X as a split keyboard and use the performance presets I have without affecting the bass now that I will be MIDIing to.

How can this be done? Thanks in advance.

Takis
Snoopy

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think that the "normal" MIDI-procedure is known to you ( PA4X-Out use a Channel, Notebook in the same ).

So I would create a "silent" voice with no sound an that one use as bass "sound". Then you don´t hear the keyboard but the MIDI-bass.

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
taki

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. I think that will work.. Also, I will place the MIDI channel at 5 or greater so it does not affect the performance sound settings that may be at default MIDI preset values of 4 to 1.

I will try this out within a day or two and get back with everyone.

Thanks
taki

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK it was not as simple as I thought, but here is my step by step setup. I hope this helps someone out in the future.

Again, the reason why I am doing this is to MIDI into a laptop to play MODO BASS (a plugin and standalone) software where I feel I get a more realistic Bass playing live with my left hand on the PA4X bass while playing with a live band. In other words, the sound quality sounds more like a real bass.. of course, it depends how good you play the bass with your left hand too...

Steps:

1) Create a voice preset with has no sound in a sound bank
2) Go to Style play and copy any style and place it in a new style location
3) Now edit the style by hitting the record button.
4) Highlight the bass sound once in the record style page and change the sound to the no voice sound
5) Write the style to the same place by also renaming the style if you have not already
6) now go into Mixer Tuning page and adjust the octave of the left hand to play the correct range of the laptop's bass plugin
7) Of course, you need to be in split mode if you are not already.
Cool At this time, you probably hear your sounds and the MIDI bass sound when hitting keys.. what you need to do is go to global then MIDI and then turn off the MIDI send out channel of the first 4 top performance sounds.
9) I saved the MIDI preset to be able to go quickly back and forth between other MIDI setups.

At this time, you should be all set.

Again, this setup is meant to be played with a band and not using the automated drums and chords.

Of course, if you need drums and other accompaniment, I am sure you can add more stuff based on what I just explained.

Thanks for the initial help on getting things started. If anyone has a better way or enhancing the way I explained, feel free to add.

Thanks,

Taki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: