Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about computer requirements
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Question about computer requirements Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Nanopad2. Plugged it into my Kronos via cable provided. Worked great. Haven't tweaked anything, but the pre-sets all seem to be working just fine.

It came with instructions for connecting it to a computer and a code to download software. Since I don't currently have a computer to use with my Kronos, (I have an I-pad) I thought it prudent to ask about system requirements before purchasing one.

I am planning on adding a Roli Seaboard Rise to my set-up soon. It requires Intel i5 2.5GHz and 8mb ram or greater. I can get a laptop with 500Gb or even 1T and a 14" screen fairly cheap.

Although I am sure that would be sufficient for the Nanopad2, I would also like enough computer to be able to download EXs libraries and maybe even use a DAW program at some point in the future (currently using my Kronos for live performance. Not doing any recording)

Thoughts, tips, ideas, from anyone would be appreciated.
Tia, 4God
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a big and very important question.

You might clarify what your computer platform of choice is ( what OS) to get more specific replies . I read you are thinking laptop

And budget, too. In general, you want to over reach on spec , as your requirements will increase plus much of todays software is resource hungry.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC w/Windows 10 is what I am looking at either an HP of a Dell (Roli requires 7 SP1 or later) doesn't have to be a laptop, but that seems easier to mount for live use. (Maybe not) 300-500 will buy what I am thinking of.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 7th generation Intel cpu based PC.

The prices are really quite attractive compared to lesser cpus such as the i5

Better to have the extra power in case you get into DAWs etc
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
Get a 7th generation Intel cpu based PC.

The prices are really quite attractive compared to lesser cpus such as the i5

Better to have the extra power in case you get into DAWs etc

Got a question for you, mostly from my Macbook Pro stuff.

I5 is single core ?

If so, is dual core ( I7) considerably more expensive and a good idea as one gets into DAWs ?
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i5s and i7s both come in 2 and 4 core versions. Most desktop ones nowadays are 4 cores most laptop ones are 2 cores.

The main difference is that i5s don't support hyper threading although some of the mobile 2 core ones do.

So the basic difference between an i7 and the i5 is hyper threading support.

Hyper threading nowadays works pretty well so should give you a performance boost but the cheaper 4 core i5s are pretty nifty.

Also the more recent intel processors offer pretty good performance, I just got a Surface pro 4 i7 (2 cores with hyper threading) and it benchmarks at around a 1/4 of my 2013 12 core mac pro and twice as fast as my 2011 MacBook pro i7. Pretty impressive for a mobile 2 core.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are many i5 quad cores. On single threaded operations (like unzipping a file or converting an MP3) there isn't a great difference between i5 and i7 running at the same GHz number. An i5 can even be marginally faster. Most DAWs take advantage of multi-core processing though (plugins can run on different cores etc) which makes i7 quad cores the preferred choice.

I don't know that 7th generation (KabyLake) is any better than 6th, I think the main difference is an upgrade to the embedded video chip which is irrelevant for DAWs. You may be able to get 6th generation chips (SkyLake) for cheaper because they're slightly older. Generally speaking there haven't been giant increases in power since 4th gen (Broadwell), not like there used to be at least.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K - spoke with the IT guy from my wife's workplace. He gave me a basic idiot's guide.

If I understood correctly:
1. The i3 is dual core and the i5/i7 are quad core (which is probably why Roli demands at least an i5 for the Seaboard)
2. i5 are gonna spin in the 5-6k range / i7's are gonna be at least 7200 rpms
3. SSD is a better way to go anyway. Moving parts wear out.
4. There isn't enough memory in the world! If 4 Gb is minimum and 8Gb is recommended, I need at least 16. 32 if I can afford it.
5. Probably 500Gb is as small as I will find. 1T better.
6. I'll get more bang for my buck with a desktop, monitor, and keyboard than a laptop. Plus, desktops are cheaper and easier to work on if a problem occurs. Laptops can break your heart if something goes wrong.

What do you guys think?
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't think there are many i5 quad cores. On single threaded operations (like unzipping a file or converting an MP3) there isn't a great difference between i5 and i7 running at the same GHz number. An i5 can even be marginally faster. Most DAWs take advantage of multi-core processing though (plugins can run on different cores etc) which makes i7 quad cores the preferred choice.

I don't know that 7th generation (KabyLake) is any better than 6th, I think the main difference is an upgrade to the embedded video chip which is irrelevant for DAWs. You may be able to get 6th generation chips (SkyLake) for cheaper because they're slightly older. Generally speaking there haven't been giant increases in power since 4th gen (Broadwell), not like there used to be at least.

There are quite a few 4 core i5s: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors.html

I think another of the benefits of the 7th gen is they use less power so run cooler.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree only with the last point and even that's debatable.

1. As was already pointed out, some i7s are dual core only and even some i5s are quad core (but most are dual core).

2. I don't know what you mean with rpms, it sounds like RPM (rotations per minute) which in computer context usually refers to the spin speed of a HDD, it has nothing to do with CPUs.

3. Yes and no, an SSD is more reliable up to a point (especially for a laptop - it's more shock resistant). It's also a lot faster, but more expensive. If you don't need the extra speed (e.g. for large sample library streaming as on Kronos) you can save a bunch by using traditional HDDs. It's still nice to have an SSD for the boot drive but you don't need a huge one - 256GB is plenty. You could use a 1TB regular drive for storage at a fraction of the cost.
All that said, if money is no objection, I prefer SSDs.

4. This really depends on what you'll be doing. 8GB runs any modern OS comfortably with lots of room to spare for apps. If you're planning to load lots of synths and especially sample libraries, 16GB or 32GB (or 64GB) could be beneficial. If you're planning to mainly use hardware synths and occasional DAW stuff, most of the time the RAM will just be sitting there doing nothing, adding no benefit whatsoever to your process. At current prices, 16GB seems reasonable to start with but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a system with 8GB unless you already know you'll be using a lot of sample libraries. I did plenty of Kontakt/Komplete productions on my previous system with 8GB and never ran out of RAM.

5. I don't know what you mean by "as small as you will find", disks come in any size basically. Especially with expandable desktops. See my point 3.

6. While generally true there are also laptops that can be easily serviced (e.g. Clevo). However they are probably not for the novice.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4GodnWV wrote:
K - spoke with the IT guy from my wife's workplace. He gave me a basic idiot's guide.

If I understood correctly:
1. The i3 is dual core and the i5/i7 are quad core (which is probably why Roli demands at least an i5 for the Seaboard)
2. i5 are gonna spin in the 5-6k range / i7's are gonna be at least 7200 rpms
3. SSD is a better way to go anyway. Moving parts wear out.
4. There isn't enough memory in the world! If 4 Gb is minimum and 8Gb is recommended, I need at least 16. 32 if I can afford it.
5. Probably 500Gb is as small as I will find. 1T better.
6. I'll get more bang for my buck with a desktop, monitor, and keyboard than a laptop. Plus, desktops are cheaper and easier to work on if a problem occurs. Laptops can break your heart if something goes wrong.

What do you guys think?

I think a 4 core i7 with a 512GB sad would do you fine. Getting a 6th gen one should save you a bit of cash as well.

Another advantage with a desktop is you won't be fighting overheating issues and blasting fans.

Thats another thing to look at, fan noise. Worth getting something where this is minimal.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

There are quite a few 4 core i5s: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors.html

I think another of the benefits of the 7th gen is they use less power so run cooler.

Interesting, it seems the 2 core/4 core balance shifted somewhat with the more recent series, thanks for pointing that out. What's also interesting is that the dual core i5s DO have hyperthreading. So basically all i5s offer 4 threads while quad core i7s offer 8.

As for KabyLake running cooler, while factually correct this only matters if you care about the $2.50 a year it'll save you in electricity or if cooling a SkyLake would for some reason be problematic (I'm running two including a regular i7 6700 in my laptop and it isn't). Cooler is better, but in this case pretty irrelevant unless the OP intends to run Prime95 24/7 for bragging rights.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sander - you wrote:
"I don't know what you mean with rpms...

LOL - prolly cause I don't know what I mean either. I was asking questions based on what I could remember, and in turn tried to convey his responses here the same way.

I think I have mixed up CPU speed and hard drive speed. I know he did say that 'something' was turning and that the bearings eventually wear out. At that point he also said that an SSD was faster and would last 100 years. (I assume he was exaggerating)

Sigh...another learning curve.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bob - you wrote:
"I think a 4 core i7 with a 512GB sad would do you fine..."

Basically I want to run the software that comes with the Roli:
Equator - Roli's software synthesizer and sound engine
Strobe2 - a software polysynth
Bitwig - DAW
Again, my primary interest is running Equator in live performance.

I also want to able to download EXs libraries for use on the Kronos. I have no idea how much space they take.

btw - you wrote "sad" - is that a typo for SSD or something else?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4GodnWV wrote:
@Sander - you wrote:
"I don't know what you mean with rpms...

LOL - prolly cause I don't know what I mean either. I was asking questions based on what I could remember, and in turn tried to convey his responses here the same way.

I think I have mixed up CPU speed and hard drive speed. I know he did say that 'something' was turning and that the bearings eventually wear out. At that point he also said that an SSD was faster and would last 100 years. (I assume he was exaggerating)

Sigh...another learning curve.

Ok yeah, RPM refers to the spin speed of a traditional hard drive. There are two basic speeds, 5400RPM and 7200RPM. Generally the 7200RPM ones are faster. It's true that they are more susceptible to wear and tear, but I've also had some hard disks for over ten years and they still work fine. You'll need to think about backing up files in either case but I wouldn't worry too much about the lifetime of the disk as in most cases it will do fine for the lifetime of the computer.

SSDs have a different problem - every individual location on an SSD can only be written to so many times. There's a controller that helps spread any data that is supposed to be written evenly across the disk. But eventually it will wear out. I would definitely not estimate it lasting "a hundred years". Ten is more likely. In any case, I don't think longevity should be a consideration in this case. A sensible backup policy is recommended for both. You should make your choice based on required speed, amount of storage and price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: