Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing program (sound) trough keypress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tand

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Changing program (sound) trough keypress Reply with quote

Hi there guys. It's my own impression or Jordan Rudess in the above video changes the program (or sound, anyway) just by pressing a key on the keyboard?

Does anyone know how that is possible? Any chance to be a sysex?

Forward the video to 0:15. He press the key at 0:19.

Thanks!

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tand,

I don't think this is possible from the Kronos alone (maybe it was possible in the OASYS - never owned one).

But ! It's very easy to do if you use a computer with your Kronos. I personally use the MIDI-OX freeware for this and many other things.

In this particular case (video), simply use the data map to transform a MIDI ON event into a SYSEX message which will change program/slot/combi as you wish. I would personally make sure that the recognized MIDI ON event would also need to be at very low velocity (for example, between 1 and 10), so that you can still play the chosen key for music, as long as it's not ppp, in which case it would then serve as your predefined program change "switch". You could even do a similar data map on one (or several) key(s) that would choose a program number between 1 to 127 according to the velocity played. Or... Wink
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not demoing the OASYS, read the description below the video.

(Note that all the sounds here are from the library - Jordan uses the Oasys only as a controller.)

In a Combi you can set up multiple sounds and change them by using the Control Surface Track On/Off Status switches. That is the easiest. I do this all the time, and by pressing two switches I can turn one off while turning another on.

Jerry
tand

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
He's not demoing the OASYS, read the description below the video.

(Note that all the sounds here are from the library - Jordan uses the Oasys only as a controller.)

In a Combi you can set up multiple sounds and change them by using the Control Surface Track On/Off Status switches. That is the easiest. I do this all the time, and by pressing two switches I can turn one off while turning another on.

Jerry

Thank you Jerry.

I know he's not demoing the oasys. But in anyway he accomplished to change his sounds using keys.

About the switches that's something I've already use. My idea about using the keys was to do something similar to Kontakt where you can use the keys as triggers to change the sounds.

Last edited by tand on Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
tand

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi tand,

I don't think this is possible from the Kronos alone (maybe it was possible in the OASYS - never owned one).

But ! It's very easy to do if you use a computer with your Kronos. I personally use the MIDI-OX freeware for this and many other things.

In this particular case (video), simply use the data map to transform a MIDI ON event into a SYSEX message which will change program/slot/combi as you wish. I would personally make sure that the recognized MIDI ON event would also need to be at very low velocity (for example, between 1 and 10), so that you can still play the chosen key for music, as long as it's not ppp, in which case it would then serve as your predefined program change "switch". You could even do a similar data map on one (or several) key(s) that would choose a program number between 1 to 127 according to the velocity played. Or... Wink

Nice idea KK. The data map transform can be done by the Kronos? Or I have to convert the midi on to Sysex in the PC or other external device?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tand wrote:
Nice idea KK. The data map transform can be done by the Kronos? Or I have to convert the midi on to Sysex in the PC or other external device?

It's in the MIDI-OX freeware. Simply open its data map and program what you need there. It's extremely versatile as you will see. To keep things simple at first, in this particular case : as input you define a MIDI NoteOn value for the key you want (like the lowest A as on the video if you also have the 88-key version of the Kronos), and as output you define a program number. Voilà ! So every time your PC will receive the chosen key MIDI NoteOn value, it will transmit a program change number. All you need is a couple of MIDI cables, your Kronos, your PC and the freeware. Cool
tand

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is nice. I'll research about do that using an ipad or option to build an dedicated hardware. Have you see anything like MIDI-OX to ipad or android? Because that way you will had some portable stuff.

Thank you bro!
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't it just be a foot switch?
tand

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
Why can't it just be a foot switch?

As far as I know with foot switch you can just advance to the next one. You won't be free to choose your destination, just always advance.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont want any to use computer,
You can also do that through rppr and sysex very likely in seq mode natively, reserving lowest half octave.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Melomaniak

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Changing program (sound) trough keypress Reply with quote

tand wrote:
Hi there guys. It's my own impression or Jordan Rudess in the above video changes the program (or sound, anyway) just by pressing a key on the keyboard?

You can do this with different timbres in a combi using Karma.
I made a example for you:
http://www.diesemusik.de/tidykronos/patches/TimbreSwitchWithKeys.PCG.zip
tand

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing program (sound) trough keypress Reply with quote

amit wrote:
If you dont want any to use computer,
You can also do that through rppr and sysex very likely in seq mode natively, reserving lowest half octave.

Melomaniak wrote:
tand wrote:

You can do this with different timbres in a combi using Karma.
I made a example for you:
http://www.diesemusik.de/tidykronos/patches/TimbreSwitchWithKeys.PCG.zip

Wow guys! That's an wonderful approach. Both, using rppr and using Karma. Really didn't know that ways. Thank you Amit and Melomaniak!!!

Melomaniak, I'll try your file as soon as I got home. Really thanks for your efforts in make a example to me Very Happy
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know he's not using a foot pedal?

He has admitted to using a foot pedal in his rig.
tand

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
How do you know he's not using a foot pedal?

He has admitted to using a foot pedal in his rig.

Who knows? He may uses anything, including a foot pedal at that specific video.

But if you forward the video to 0:19 you would watch he press a low key between the sound changes. So you have at least 2 possibilities:

1 - He press that key in order to change the sound.
2 - He press the pedal and, at the same time, the key to fool everybody Laughing

Well, even though, at this thread point, what matters is discuss how to achieve the sound change with just the keys, which has been done by Amit and Melomaniak.

That, at least for me, opens great possibilities to create articulations in programs\combis (and I know sound changing can be made with karma buttons).
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is possible using wavesequencing. I've done something similar using the ribbon. If it's possible on the Oasys, it's possible on the Kronos. I'll try to replicate it later when I've got access to the K.

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: