Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Nothing to really Rival the Kronos...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunnar

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jones"][quote="19naia"]

But when it comes to investing in sounds, all flagship workstations are clearly falling behind VSTs.
The number of mentions of Omnisphere/ keyscape now, is evidence enough that quality sound packs have gone to VST's
[/quote]

The VST's are awesome, Kronos is awesome, but economics will dictate the VST path into the future. We're spoiled for choice today.[/quote]

I've always struggled with latency on VSTs, not a problem with the soft-instruments themselves, but perhaps I've yet to invest in a high-end enough audio interface for my computer. This was at least one of the reasons I went away from VSTs and turned back to HW synths, which eventually led me to the KRONOS.

There is also the thing about control surfaces. Now, the KRONOS isn't the greatest example at that, since the control surface only lets you control a portion an engine, but it is still offers quite a bit of direct control while playing. And I would rate its reliability over any software setup I have on my computer. I suspect HW synths and SW synths will continue to co-exst..
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Just one regret (though not so important cause there are other solutions everywhere out)
The drum patterns of the Kronos are very outdated and by far and in a strange way these drum patters have too much unnecessary notes within each of them (take a listen to nowadays pop songsor RnB songs at radio : their drums are much more simple and souple)
And it would be a nice things if at regular times Korg offers (or to buy) an entirely new and whole drum patterns file to replace the one in the actual Kronos that is less to say prehistoric Wink

I also have more demand for quality instruments.

I know its been 5-6 yrs. The VI's and other platforms are stronger and more specialized these days.

an improved Factory preload emphasizing quality over quantity would have been perfect.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Kronos (and err... cough... System 8 ) but as far as VSTs go, I've never got on with the mental disconnect that you're not actually playing an "instrument".

I don't know what it is... but there just seems to be a gap between messing with a controller and the software responding on your DAW, which is why I'll never give up my hardware.

Maybe it's an age thing Wink
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, it's all a question of market share and ROI.

Korg dominates the workstation market pie right now and big corporations nowadays don't invest unless the returns are important. The movie and music industry are the best examples. There is far less diversity than 30 years ago.

Korg was quicker to offer significant innovations. After the fact, beating Korg in this market would be a risky endeavor considering the investment required and expected ROI.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a workstation life cycle is extensive. People don't change unit very other year.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
I love my Kronos (and err... cough... System 8 ) but as far as VSTs go, I've never got on with the mental disconnect that you're not actually playing an "instrument".

I don't know what it is... but there just seems to be a gap between messing with a controller and the software responding on your DAW, which is why I'll never give up my hardware.

Maybe it's an age thing Wink

I know the feeling, but perhaps a dedicated/specialized controller would help you out? E.g. when you really learn the interface, Maschine doesn't feel like a computer program, it "feels" like you're actually playing the thing, though in essence it's just a controller. I had a similar (but less extreme) experience with Ableton when I bought an APC40 (years before Push arrived). Perhaps an Arturia Keylab (with their softsynths) would improve your experience?
Qdraw

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
And a workstation life cycle is extensive. People don't change unit very other year.

No kidding, I have jumped from the original Red Beast Karma to the Kronos 2. I did sneak an Integra 7 into the mix between them- but that doesnt count as a workstation. Cool
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:

yes. a few weeks ago, we had a good discussion about platform longevity/stability with context being important files and Songs.

PC/Software tools etc vs Kronos

Conclusion was that Kronos has a good 15 year life cycle.
That Songs, files would have that longevity.

And that PC/Software had too much flux over time to be considered
as stable.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, any PC would last as long as the Kronos if you never changed the software or added any plugins.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
To be fair, any PC would last as long as the Kronos if you never changed the software or added any plugins.

to be more than fair, I would add 3rd party libs to my Kronos over 15 yrs.
Wink
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> To be fair, any PC would last as long as the Kronos if you never changed the software or added any plugins.

Not sure about that. Not sure the Kronos would last either.
Most PCs I have owned with the exception of some Macs have died. I think it's mostly power supply issues.

Another problem I have noticed is that even if you don't add anything - which I did with a PC as a test - no updates - no adding of software - it still slowed down to a crawl. I don't know why.... So strange. Granted it wasn't an expensive PC - just a multimedia HP 17".

I just guessing. I have no idea whether the Kronos is built any better than a garden variety laptop. I would hope so.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
> To be fair, any PC would last as long as the Kronos if you never changed the software or added any plugins.

Not sure about that. Not sure the Kronos would last either.
Most PCs I have owned with the exception of some Macs have died. I think it's mostly power supply issues.

Another problem I have noticed is that even if you don't add anything - which I did with a PC as a test - no updates - no adding of software - it still slowed down to a crawl. I don't know why.... So strange. Granted it wasn't an expensive PC - just a multimedia HP 17".

I just guessing. I have no idea whether the Kronos is built any better than a garden variety laptop. I would hope so.

At a minimum, you have to keep adobe flash up to date , for web pages plus anti virus junk. That will make a 10 yr old PC crawl like a bug.

There are lots of Kronos owners that don't gig. close to 6 yrs here on the original 88. Its possible if you baby the Kronos, maybe you can get to yr 15.

I suppose there might be a component that might fail . Hopefully, it won't be a hard to find thing.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited experience, it's almost always power supply and LCD.
So sad! My Yamaha VL1 display is dying (dark and bubble) and my JP-8000 display has a bubble as well. My SY99 backlight is dead and lost its patches.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PC PSU is really easy to replace.

And obviously you shouldn't do flash updates or internet browsing if you're treating it like a Kronos for the purpose of longevity.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
From my limited experience, it's almost always power supply and LCD.
So sad! My Yamaha VL1 display is dying (dark and bubble) and my JP-8000 display has a bubble as well. My SY99 backlight is dead and lost its patches.

All of my SY77/TG77 and SY99 have had failed backlights. Common problem. Not easy, but equally not difficult to fix if you don't mind a synth strip down and a bit of soldering.

Check out the guides on my factory-librarians site. Once you have replaced the inferior LCD with a "Cool Blue" (white on blue LED display, you will love your SY again!

http://xfactory-librarians.co.uk/guides.html

There's even one for changing your batteries! Smile

This is an interesting thread. I purchased the Kronos for the long term interest. Nearly three years in and I still have not scratched the surface of its capabilities. But I am also a huge soft synth fan and am amassing quite an arsenal of them, and will soon be setting up a rig to play them live as well - my current laptop that I use for live work does not have the horse power for the more hungry soft synths like UH-E Diva (which sounds gorgeous). So rather than going for another laptop I am looking at small form factor PCs with more power and that I can embed in my gig rack.

I can see the pros and cons of both a closed (to us) architecture synth like the Kronos and also a more open platform for VTSis. Have both and have the best of both worlds Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: