Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BOSS FV-30L volume pedal does not work with mixer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: BOSS FV-30L volume pedal does not work with mixer Reply with quote

Hello friends,

I bought a BOSS FV-30L for my KRONOS 2 to use as a volume pedal. When I run the cables from KRONOS to Pedal to Amp, it works fine. But when I run the cables from KRONOS to Pedal to Mixer to Amp, no sound comes out of the Amp. And tried with 2 different Mixers and 2 different amps with the same result.

Anyone else faced the same problem? It’s a low impedance stereo pedal.

Appreciate your feedback on this.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg PA900, Korg NanoPad 2, Roland BA 330
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some details about your mixer. Sounds like this is where your issue is.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Kronos to mixer work?
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Does Kronos to mixer work?

Yes, that works perfectly fine. I have a Behringer mixer and also I tried it at a gig with a bigger mixer where I came to know about this problem.

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use an expression pedal on the Kronos. That would help eliminate some cabling which would keep your signal a little bit cleaner.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Why not just use an expression pedal on the Kronos. That would help eliminate some cabling which would keep your signal a little bit cleaner.

I tried that in the past but had issues with the volume. the pedal seemed to be eating up some volume.

Has someone used a KORG XVP 20 with a mixer?

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An expression pedal connected to the back of the Kronos at the pedal jack should not be eating up any volume. It is not part of the audio chain. It just supplies CCs to tell the Kronos how loud something should be. It also allows you to do some nifty tricks once you get the hang of it. I use one all the time and it keeps me from having to Lug around and plug in a bunch of extra cables. As a matter of fact I don't use analog volume pedals on any keyboard I have. Nowadays every keyboard comes with some kind of a pedal Jack that allows you to control the volume with midi control changes. You would want to make sure you get an expression pedal that has a potentiometer on it to allow you to set the range of the pedal. I could see if you had one that didn't have that it could limit how well the pedal sends out control changes. If you buy the Korg XVP 20 pedal it has an expression pedal output. I have one and the expression output on it works just fine. Never tried using it as an analog volume pedal.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
An expression pedal connected to the back of the Kronos at the pedal jack should not be eating up any volume. It is not part of the audio chain. It just supplies CCs to tell the Kronos how loud something should be. It also allows you to do some nifty tricks once you get the hang of it. I use one all the time and it keeps me from having to Lug around and plug in a bunch of extra cables. As a matter of fact I don't use analog volume pedals on any keyboard I have. Nowadays every keyboard comes with some kind of a pedal Jack that allows you to control the volume with midi control changes. You would want to make sure you get an expression pedal that has a potentiometer on it to allow you to set the range of the pedal. I could see if you had one that didn't have that it could limit how well the pedal sends out control changes. If you buy the Korg XVP 20 pedal it has an expression pedal output. I have one and the expression output on it works just fine. Never tried using it as an analog volume pedal.

Thank you so much!! I will try that out. I tried an YAMAHA expression pedal in the past with my PA900 as volume pedal and for some reason, I had a feeling that some volume was eaten up.

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the pedal is a low impedance output it would need to go into a low impedance input (XLR or TRS) on the mixer. Which Behringer do you have? What type of cables do you use at all points in the chain? TS or TRS? And what kind of amp are you using? And sorry, but I have to ask- you are going output to input all along the chain, correct?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it's impedance mismatch issue, had it been high impedance that would have mattered , and would have affected tone bigtime.
These pedals mostly are simple voltage dividers (passive variable resistors I.e potentiometers). This definitely is a problem either with the cables or the pedal unit model itself.
If you using balanced cables first try switching to unbalanced cables. There are certain jacks known to cause issues when using TRS pins as opposed to TR.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Since the pedal is a low impedance output it would need to go into a low impedance input (XLR or TRS) on the mixer. Which Behringer do you have? What type of cables do you use at all points in the chain? TS or TRS? And what kind of amp are you using? And sorry, but I have to ask- you are going output to input all along the chain, correct?

I have a Behringer XENYX X1204USB Mixer and Roland BA 330 Amp/Speaker. But i also tried with a different Mixer/Amp Speaker at a gig. And nothing worked. I use all balanced TRS cables and yes, output to input all along the chain Very Happy.

swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
I doubt it's impedance mismatch issue, had it been high impedance that would have mattered , and would have affected tone bigtime.
These pedals mostly are simple voltage dividers (passive variable resistors I.e potentiometers). This definitely is a problem either with the cables or the pedal unit model itself.
If you using balanced cables first try switching to unbalanced cables. There are certain jacks known to cause issues when using TRS pins as opposed to TR.

Will give that a shot too.

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like everything in your signal path is balanced, but probably NOT the volume pedal. This would definitely be a problem. Being that it sounds like the pedal is used mostly for guitars they probably used an unbalanced circuit. Lets go back to the expression pedal. Here are several good reasons to use one:
1- It is not an audio signal, so it is not susceptible to noise. Also less cords to keep track of. Some pedals even have a jack instead of a hard wired cable so you can replace it in the field if your roadie steps on the while it's plugged in and destroys it. Note: It has to be a TRS cable- TS will NOT work!
2- When used to control volume (Set to Expression CC#11 in Global mode) it controls the volume of a program or timbre without affecting the main volume (main volume knob). If you play a sound that has something like reverb or delay, turning the mail volume attenuates all of the sound, so you don't hear the delay or reverb. Your current configuration would do the same thing. So much for SST! This is what CC#7 does. If you use CC#11 this won't happen.
3- if you are configured as in #2 above you can filter the pedal in Combi Mode. Example- create a Combi with piano on timbre 1 and strings on timbre 2. Make sure they are both on the Global channel. Operate the expression pedal- Both sounds are affected. Now filter the pedal on Timbre 1 in the MIDI Filter page (I've never seen a real piano with a volume pedal- this is the way a real piano works). Now operate the pedal. The strings are affected but the piano is not. So you can fade strings in and out at will. Very helpful.
There are a few other tricks I have read about but have never tried, like using it as a wah wah pedal (now there's a novel idea!). It requires setting it to CC#4 in Global Model and using (I believe) AMS to define it's function. Search the Forums. It's here somewhere.
Hopes this was enlightening. I may have missed a point or two, and I am sure someone here will correct me. Maybe I will make a video of this. If I can find the time!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS- from the manual for your pedal:
•For low-impedance gear like synthesizers and stompboxes

(I haven't seen too many stompboxes that are balanced)

Connectors:
•Input 1, 2 jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
•Output 1, 2 jacks: 1/4-inch phone type

I think if they were TRS it would say so.
adamburgess

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring for a Boss FV500 with the expression connector.
Will work with anything. My Kronos, Stage 2, SY77...

I have three and they're very well made. The pot that works the minimum setting is great for organ. I have two L versions and one H. So, doesn't matter as they don't work in-line but as MIDI CCs.

One normal "stereo" or "TRS" cable and you're done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: