Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos 2 Reply with quote

Hello. Just purchased a Korg Kronos 2 from a well know auction site. Looks immaculate but having a issue with three to four stuck Keys around the middle c. There is like a resistance and the key cannot be fully compressed. Cannot see anything causing a potential block and find it strange that it's just in one area. Contacted Korg Uk about this 2 days ago and to date have had no response. Can anyone help or relate to this issue?
Chrutil

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 73 or 88, then check the gap in front between the keys and the bar in front.
Sometimes the keybed can shift forward if the K is transported without the three cardboard spacers that it originally came with. If that happens the bar will push against some keys and cause friction.
At least this was an issue with the original Kronos.
The fix is to loosen a couple of the screws underneath and adjust the keybed to increase the gap to a few millimeters.

There are a few threads about this with more information - search for 'spacer' I think.

C
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
peterk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I did not have no spacers but surely this cannot be the case when moving the keyboard you need to use these spacers it's nearly £3000 brand new?
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible that there's something underneath the keys that has been loosened which are preventing the metal 'hammers' (weights) from depressing fully which... also should be an easy enough fix.

As long as the rest of the keyboard is generally working, fixing something like that shouldn't be overly difficult.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterk wrote:
Ok I did not have no spacers but surely this cannot be the case when moving the keyboard you need to use these spacers it's nearly £3000 brand new?

The problem isn't the price. The problem is a mechanical issue - the spacers are originally for shipping and with the Kronos being shifted and moved, it could potentially shift the keybed closer to the front of the keyboard. Now that said, I've been gigging with my Kronos 2 for almost 2 years now and haven't ever needed to re-adjust the keyboard spacing with the exception of when I first got it.

Otherwise It's been rock solid so no need to put spacers in while I go to gigs.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that the front bar is bent or damaged and fouling the underside of the keys.

External examination may reveal this,or careful internal checks.

The front gap is not a critical measurement,it's sufficient just to have enough clearance between the bar and keys.
This is achieved as already described....the 8 large headed screws (along the front and center of the board).

As enigmahack says,the cardboard spacers aren't always needed for transportation...many do without them.

By the way....Korg UK can usually take 3 to 4 days to reply.
They may offer similar advice,but are more likely to suggest you send it to them for remedial work.
If you don't feel confident in opening up the Kronos and the gap setting doesn't correct the fault,the workshop route will be the only option.
Korg UK have an excellent turnaround,usually within a week if stock parts are not an issue....not sure about current charges,though.

Best Wishes.
peterk

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. Do not think it is personally damaged as mentioned it was imaculate and came with original packaging minus these card spacers which I still am unsure if they were included with the new Kronos 2. As for 3 to 4 days response to emails from Korg. Thats not really that good in today's market especially when you have invested a lot of money in thier latest products. Will. Look into the loosing of the bolts it just seems strange how it is just the middle that has been effected as I thought the keybed was one piece? Will keep updating hopefully there will be a happy ending.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first line of inquiry would be to the seller, tbh.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keybed (keyframe as Korg name it) is an RH3 type, which can be used in other instruments and is a complete assembly in its own right.
It has been modified over the years,but remains to be the mainstay for several Korg products.

Although it may seem a little unorthodox to have it "float" within the instrument with the possibility of movement,usually only during transit. etc.
Maintaining the front bar gap,is a minor task and should not detract from what is an excellent workstation.

If the front bar is straight and without damage,the reduced gap would affect the whole keyboard or just either end,but not the middle area, in isolation.
That is why I suggested the bar may be bent in that area.
It could be something else entirely of course,which may be revealed upon further investigation.

Regarding support contact.....once this is established,further communication will usually be on a regular/daily basis.

Hope you get this sorted,soon.

Best Wishes.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterk wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. Do not think it is personally damaged as mentioned it was imaculate and came with original packaging minus these card spacers which I still am unsure if they were included with the new Kronos 2. As for 3 to 4 days response to emails from Korg. Thats not really that good in today's market especially when you have invested a lot of money in thier latest products. Will. Look into the loosing of the bolts it just seems strange how it is just the middle that has been effected as I thought the keybed was one piece? Will keep updating hopefully there will be a happy ending.

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
peterk

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well korg finally replied all i can say is you should all apply for a job at korg Uk the response time would dramactically improve. next call is to try the advice given

hi Peter,

Many thanks for your query.

I have spoken to the engineers and they have suggested that the key frame possibly needs adjusting as it could be out of place and some keys could be touching the front bar, causing it to be jammed.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Jordan Warner
Tel: 01908 304650
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterk wrote:
Well korg finally replied all i can say is you should all apply for a job at korg Uk the response time would dramactically improve. next call is to try the advice given

hi Peter,

Many thanks for your query.

I have spoken to the engineers and they have suggested that the key frame possibly needs adjusting as it could be out of place and some keys could be touching the front bar, causing it to be jammed.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Jordan Warner
Tel: 01908 304650

its easy to reply quickly on the Internet. There is a large group of Kronos owners here that are always concerned about a variety of problems.

What recourse does the ' well known auction site ' provide ?

And If you bought this off eBay and from a 3rd party seller(?), explain how it was presented and by who.
adamburgess

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of a known issue. I had it once with middle C, and the B below on a 73. Mine was bought as B stock with no cardboard hah - just worked itself right with a little shift. Been 'normally' abused since then - cases at all angles, extreme heat to AC. Been fine since.
peterk

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note on the seller on this auction site. they are a buisness and willing to do whatever to get this sorted and communication has been fantastic to date and they are willing to have a engineer come to my address and look at it. which is not really local for them hence me trying to sort this out if i can
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: